It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun rights thing is out of control!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sergeant Stiletto

Why can't he just be a dumb-ass with judgment so poor that voids his right to bear arms? Why do his rights trump the rights of others?

Because, if he wasn't threatening people, or actively involved in a crime then why should he be labelled an idiot because he carries a gun?

You can't limit people's rights just because you think they are a "dumbass" in turn that kind of makes you the very thing you wish to label others as.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

by saying "your talking points would be TOTALLY different" you have changed the outcome just by measuring it. anonymity presents the internet tough guy talk argument towards all people "don't complain" "yeah tough guy?"

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I also think that this thread has is a lot of "internet tough guy" talk. You guys are all flapping your lips saying one thing, but if a dude did this in your own neighborhood or community, with your own kids or grandkids - your talking points would be TOTALLY different.

I think you are forgetting that in many neighborhoods, people do this all the time. We are used to it.

Too many people are stuck in their own little world where they have been protected and babied, and have not seen what it's like in other parts of the country...or even their own state.

What some see as a threat, others see as a positive.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm.......let's see....
In today's world we have sex, drugs and violence all of the tv.
Sex, drugs and violence in our music.
Kids playing video games where they kill with every type weapon imaginable.
And you are upset because this guy is walking around with a pistol?
What if.....
This guy is actually trying to help the community?
What if one day someone came by the park and took one of your little ones at gun or knife point while this guy was around?
Would you want him to help?
Instead of looking at the worse and teaching our young ones to be afraid perhaps it would be best to teach them to respect firearms.
I and everyone I know have been raised around guns. We respect them. We are taught the RIGHT way to handle them, when and how to use them.
This guy is probably just someone like me. I will not go out of my way to hurt or offend anyone. I expect the same from others.
Quad

edit on 24-4-2014 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

But the point of the OP is to suggest exactly that...

I'm saying the community should be able to label him a dumb ass and that neither him nor anyone else who exhibits such poor judgment and a lack of concern for the circumstances should be afforded the privilege of an open carry permit.

I'm not against guns, I own one. I am against dumb asses keeping them after behaving in a way that disrupts, frightens or threatens the community.

If I'm not a responsible dog owner - the county will take my dogs. If I'm not a responsible driver - the county will suspend my license. Why should guns owners be exempt from civic responsibility when open carrying?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

did he point the gun at anybody? was the gun loaded? this is what i'm wondering

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

a reply to: eXia7

But the point of the OP is to suggest exactly that...

I'm saying the community should be able to label him a dumb ass and that neither him nor anyone else who exhibits such poor judgment and a lack of concern for the circumstances should be afforded the privilege of an open carry permit.

I'm not against guns, I own one. I am against dumb asses keeping them after behaving in a way that disrupts, frightens or threatens the community.

If I'm not a responsible dog owner - the county will take my dogs. If I'm not a responsible driver - the county will suspend my license. Why should guns owners be exempt from civic responsibility when open carrying?

I will attempt this one last time. Explain how this man was not being a responsible gun owner and what laws he broke.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

also open carry permits are unlawful. we all should be allowed to open carry

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

How do YOU know be is not a responsible gun owner?
Did he shoot someone?
Did he take it out and wave it around?
Fire a few rounds off into the air?
I think you are being an irresponsible parent.
You are teaching your children to fear something on face value. You know absolutely nothing about this man beside the fact that he carries a firearm and knife.
Do you teach them to fear police as well? They carry weapons.
You think a uniform shows what's in a heart, in a mind?
Get over it.
Quad

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

originally posted by: SaturnFX

I understand your point of view and what you are trying to make clear.
I am clever like that and can see many sides to something.

You, it seems, cannot understand the point of view of the community..so I think discussing with you about this topic is at its conclusion. you simply can't discuss Shakespeare with your dog regardless of how much you can understand their love of bacon and naps.

Anyways...

www.wsbtv.com...

"He's just walking around [saying] 'See my gun? Look, I got a gun and there's nothing you can do about it.' He knew he was frightening people. He knew exactly what he was doing," said parent Karen Rabb.

Rabb told Channel 2’s Tom Regan the parents grew so alarmed that they brought the game to a halt when the man declined a request that he leave a parking lot overlooking the baseball field.

“He scared people to the point where we stopped the game, took the kids out of the dugout and behind the dugout, and kind of hunkered down,” Rabb said.

Park users flooded 911 with 22 calls about the man.

So at least 22 people were alarmed enough to call 911. Even Georgia's gun advocate group thinks it was bad. Legal, maybe...but still wrong.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I am inclined to agree with the OP's point of view. I image this as a guy at a park with combat knife in a sheath on his belt and an assault rifle across his chest with his hands on the rifle, which exhibits intent. This would be the same as someone walking around with a holstered pistol with their hand on it.

Is this someone looking for a gun fight, looking to shoot someone, or what. No one really knows except the weapon holder. Neither did the people at the park. Thus their concern.

He should have been arrested and locked up. Second amendment is one thing, being stupid is another.
edit on 24-4-2014 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

"I own a gun. I have no problems with the Second Amendment. But they do not belong in a parking lot where we have children everywhere. If you want to make a statement, go to the Capitol," said Rabb.

Are you Rabb? Your statements are curiously similar to this persons statements. I also like how they used this one person for all except one small excerpt of the story.

Then there is this from your source:

Authorities said since the man made no verbal threats or gestures, they could neither arrest him nor ask him to leave the park.

I'll take the word of the officer over hearsay from a chatty Cathy.
edit on 4/24/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Don't inquire into a person's past. Take the measure of a man for what he is today.

Never steal another man's horse. A horse thief pays with his life.

Defend yourself whenever necessary.

Look out for your own.

Remove your guns before sitting at the dining table.

Never order anything weaker than whiskey.

Don't make a threat without expecting dire consequences.

Never pass anyone on the trail without saying "Howdy".

When approaching someone from behind, give a loud greeting before you get within shooting range.

Don't wave at a man on a horse, as it might spook the horse. A nod is the proper greeting.

After you pass someone on the trail, don't look back at him. It implies you don't trust him.

Riding another man's horse without his permission is nearly as bad as making love to his wife. Never even bother another man's horse.

Always fill your whiskey glass to the brim.

A cowboy doesn't talk much; he saves his breath for breathing.

No matter how weary and hungry you are after a long day in the saddle, always tend to your horse's needs before your own, and get your horse some feed before you eat.

Cuss all you want, but only around men, horses and cows.

Complain about the cooking and you become the cook.

Always drink your whiskey with your gun hand, to show your friendly intentions.

Do not practice ingratitude.

A cowboy is pleasant even when out of sorts. Complaining is what quitters do, and cowboys hate quitters.

Always be courageous. Cowards aren't tolerated in any outfit worth its salt.

he did break the code of the west

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

The problem with your example is that owning a car and or dog is a privilege and owning a gun is a right.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Interesting thread. The only thing I'm confused about is what Sargent Stiletto said about charging him for loitering. Lat time I checked that's what public parks are about... loitering. You go there to get "out." Is a guy meditating in the park "loitering?" What about the guy reading a book? Is he Loitering?

I agree the guy showed poor social skills by brandishing his gun and knives. If that is what he was really doing. Maybe they were simply visible and that was all it took to freak out the people in the park.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

The problem with your example is that owning a car and or dog is a privilege and owning a gun is a right.

Good point.

However, with regard to the first amendment you also must act responsibly...you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater to use a cliché. Additionally, you can be sued for libel, slander, etc.

originally posted by: SpaDe_

Are you Rabb? Your statements are curiously similar to this persons statements.

Whaa!? Seriously? No.

But what if I was, would you pull an internet boner and begin some nasty character assassination because my opinion differs from yours?

It's a specious question.

My comments are similar because my opinion is similar. Not unlike the gun rights advocates talking points found in posts from multiple users in this thread.
Are you the whack job from the park? I don't assume so...

edit on 4/24/2014 by Sergeant Stiletto because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/24/2014 by Sergeant Stiletto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What does "flashing" his gun mean? Concealed carry means just that; CONCEALED. IF he is walking around flashing a gun, then no, he is not doing it legally. So something does not look right with this situation. I am pro 2nd amendment all the way, because I understand the significance of it on a larger scale. And carrying a concealed firearm should be legal. However, nobody is supposed to be able to see the weapon for the simple fact that you don't want people walking around afraid because they see a gun.

And the majority of the time it is not criminals who go out and get a license to carry a concealed weapon. The vast majority of permit holders are law-abiding citizens that will never fire their weapon in a public setting. However there are people who are too ignorant to carry a firearm in public, simply because they are too willing to use it in situations where deadly force is not justified. It takes a very specific set of circumstances to justify even DRAWING your handgun, and those circumstances do not arise very often for most legal firearm carrying citizens.

So the problem is how do we, as a society, determine who is too ignorant to carry a weapon? Outlawing the carrying of firearms altogether is not the answer, and there is no justification for the people giving up their 2nd amendment right altogether, as it is too important to ensuring our liberties.

We don't even have a system in the United States that can determine which individuals should be allowed to become police officers, or if we do it is a very broken system, considering that too many cops do not understand when the use of deadly force is authorized or needed. Just because the police are in a situation where they technically can shoot someone doesn't mean they need to. Like the guy who was standing quite far away from police yet was holding a knife. Deadly force was not justified in that instance, even if it was technically legal because he had a weapon.

I guess my point is that it is not just firearms within the public that are being misused, but within the government/police force as well. I won't get into how the 2nd amendment is instrumental to ensuring democracy, as the Founding Fathers of the United States did that task quite well, but I will reiterate that despite the fact firearms should be legal, there are certain areas that need to be changed regarding just who can carry weapons in public.

I lean to the left in the majority of instances, which is just a coincidence for the most part as I make up my own mind on all issues, but I have to agree with the right on the issue of firearms. Or at least agree with some of their beliefs. I am getting a bit off topic however, so I will just draw attention back to my initial claim that concealed carry means just that...concealed.

Maybe the state law wherever you are talking about is different, but I cannot imagine that would be the case, considering that I live in Texas, which usually has less strict regulations on such issues. Your firearm, even if it is in your vehicle, cannot be in view. You can have a rifle in view if I remember correctly, but not a handgun. Unless they've changed the laws or something, I would imagine this is still how things work.

So anyway, if the guy had his gun visible, he is breaking the law. So one cannot claim that he is terrorizing people while under the protection of the law. First of all he doesn't appear to be terrorizing anyone in the first place. But I can understand people not wanting to see a guy walking around with a gun. I don't even like to see cops walking around with guns to be honest. So we cannot act like he is afforded the protection of the law while doing this, and thus the citizens have no choice but to vacate the area for fear that the guy has some nefarious intent. Therefore call the police.

The only way I will retract my statements is if it can be shown to me that the laws are different from what I have stated, and that a citizen is allowed to carry their handgun within view of the public. If that is the law in this particular area, then the law needs to be changed.
edit on 4/24/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Ive considered open carry before I got my license, but in the training class, we learned if your gonna carry concealed/w license then always carry it, and keep it concealed. He should have done that instead of that stupid "Hey! Look at me...Ive got a gun!" move.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I know what the real problem is. The real problem is that you don't have any real problems. Your life is so boring that you are now offended by people NOT breaking the law. You even stated that you think he should be arrested for loitering.....IN A PARK!!!!!!

I thought parks were places that people could go to kill time, and watch the clouds pass by. Otherwise known as loitering.
Get over yourself. The 2nd Ammendment is here to stay. Without it the government would quickly rob us of all the other Ammendments before you could say NDAA.
edit on 24-4-2014 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Why do his rights trump the rights of others?

Because gun nuts have nothing to feel good about except their precious weapons apparently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join