It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun rights thing is out of control!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sergeant Stiletto
Some of the replies are straw man hilarity.

If he's afraid for his safety, why go to a park with kids? To use them as human shields? The park isn't dangerous, just kids playing sports.

He wasn't taking a walk or utilizing the park facilities. He was walking around the parking lot brandishing his multiple weapons - to what end?

You do understand what brandishing means don't you?

brandish (ˈbrændɪʃ)
vb (tr)
1. to wave or flourish (a weapon) in a triumphant, threatening, or ostentatious way
n
2. a threatening or defiant flourish

According to the article and the police he did no such thing.

What he does in the confines of the law is up to him. He was using the park for it's intended purposes or he would have been asked to either leave, or been arrested, neither of which occurred.

Also please detail which rights of yours this man was infringing. I would wager that you can name exactly zero.

edit on 4/24/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I took my daughter to the park everyday unitl she was in school and some of the people I met are my best friends today. That said, if I'd seen a man struting around with a side arm, I wouldn't have taken it too kindly either.

In fact I was uncomforable when the police cruised the park.

Honestly, I long for the right to be safe (and I do know there is no perfect safetly) with my child in a public park. I was my child to be safe at school.

Anyone, and I repeat anyone, can have a bad day and lose it. With a gun - those days - turn can turn into tragedies.

And an earlier poster is correct - it is about common sense with a dash of wisdom.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

Dude, I'm not going to get into semantics with you... I posted that on another news broadcast, a parent was interviewed who claimed he was purposely trying to intimate other people in the park. As soon as they post the video, I''ll post it here.

But you go right ahead and keep dancing around the real issue - gun rights enthusiasts have lost their reasoning abilities and common sense - in favor of paranoia. Which, ironically, makes them less suitable to carry a gun, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
But according to you I would be an evil hateful vile person for doing that

If your going specifically to freak people out, yes..you are.
Get a concealment license already. don't be such a jackass.

edit on 24-4-2014 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

Surely if this was legit the police would have done something? So why did the police then go on record saying the man did nothing wrong? I think this boils down to peoples rights are fine, but only when they go along with your line of thinking. You have made that abundantly clear.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Ah yes, you know you've reached the bottom of the barrel in an argument when the name calling starts. The state issues open carry licenses for the lawful carry of a firearm. This man took the time to obtain said license and used it for it's intended purpose. What an idiot, he should have went to the park to sell the kids drugs instead because that would have obviously been much more acceptable in this circumstance.

edit on 4/24/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I disagree. This is not straw man fodder, rather it is germane to the root of the discussion.

From what I can gather (granted limited information) the guy with gun and knife had as much right to be there as the parents and kids.

Only the person with the gun was loitering? If the parents felt endangered, they were free to leave with their kids. Why were they not loitering when they were standing waiting for the other guy to leave?

In this case, the use of the word "loitering" is as subjective as the term "common sense" used later. Intended to emote rather than clarify.

If I am out with my kids and sense a potentially dangerous situation (real or perceived), we move on. Why should I insist the rest of the planet adjust for my kids safety because I am too socially reduced to take on the responsibility myself?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

lol! You're funny.

So the intended purpose is to stand around and scare people? Hey, at least a gun owner finally admitted it.

a reply to: ABNARTY

Some did leave, others hid because they would have to approach the parking lot where the guy was - loitering.

The park is mostly empty now...no one wants to play there.

I would argue that people who feel the need to open carry guns in inappropriate places - such as parks with kids - are the ones who are "socially reduced", as in anti-social, bullies, sociopaths.

The guy with the gun should use the park or leave. Standing around with his weapons is not the intended use of the park.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

Ah yes, you know you've reached the bottom of the barrel in an argument when the name calling starts. The state issues open carry licenses for the lawful carry of a firearm. This man took the time to obtain said license and used it for it's intended purpose. What an idiot, he should have went to the park to sell the kids drugs instead because that would have obviously been much more acceptable in this circumstance.

I understand your point of view and what you are trying to make clear.
I am clever like that and can see many sides to something.

You, it seems, cannot understand the point of view of the community..so I think discussing with you about this topic is at its conclusion. you simply can't discuss Shakespeare with your dog regardless of how much you can understand their love of bacon and naps.

But yes.your right. what he did was legal. end of discussion between us.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The guy may have been off balanced. I simply do not know.

However, those folks do exist all over the planet. There is no dealing with them. No amount of laws or semantics will change that. It does not matter.

This is not a gun issue. This is not a park-use issue. This is just what humans face on planet Earth everyday. I applaud the parents for getting the kids out of there. That is what they should do. The next step is dealing with this one individual - not the Constitution, not city ordinances, not people on ATS who disagree with what "common sense" means.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

I disagree. This is not straw man fodder, rather it is germane to the root of the discussion.

From what I can gather (granted limited information) the guy with gun and knife had as much right to be there as the parents and kids.

Only the person with the gun was loitering? If the parents felt endangered, they were free to leave with their kids. Why were they not loitering when they were standing waiting for the other guy to leave?

In this case, the use of the word "loitering" is as subjective as the term "common sense" used later. Intended to emote rather than clarify.

If I am out with my kids and sense a potentially dangerous situation (real or perceived), we move on. Why should I insist the rest of the planet adjust for my kids safety because I am too socially reduced to take on the responsibility myself?

The idea of arresting a person that makes you feel uncomfortable is silly.
Its not part of the core conversation here about trying to not have a "gun culture" in the community. What needs to happen is a push towards having concealed weapons be the "fad" for those who want to carry...but simply carrying openly in improper places just to show you can for no reason other than try to annoy people needs to be treated like wearing a F--K YOU shirt at the same place...feel embarrassed, seen for what it is, and eventually pushed via simple community scorn to cover that crap up.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This was covered by Jackson Brown (e).. many years ago on a tune called "On The Boulevard" I think.

I think he said "people walkin around like they're safe or something"....

Nobody is "Really" safe, ever, anywhere.

Get over it and enjoy the time you have here.

This is exactly what is wrong with Amerikka.

Go buy more insurance for whatever the # scares you.

EVERYTHING!!!!!! INSURANCE TO PROTECT YOU FROM ....Everything....

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I couldn't resist, and if you cannot understand, you are part of the problem.....

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sergeant Stiletto

The guy had no kids or business to conduct at the park. I think he should have been arrested for loitering.

how do you loiter in a Public park?

guns are so scary.....hard to keep under control like a rabid pit bull that hasn't been fed for a week.

You just never know when they are going to jump out of their holsters and start cutting people down left and right.

the owner of the gun wouldn't even have time to respond before people were dead or dying in the park.....kids screaming.....moms crying....and all because of the GUUUUUUNS!!!

this isn't the wild west anymore.....just remember ..... gun owners......you can't control that wild animal that is in your holster.....they attack without you knowing and before you can even get your hands back around it to stop all the killing.

Please.....please.....just let the loving cops and government have guns.....they know how to keep them under control and have their guns better trained....

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with gun rights, this is about how much we have become little pansies and how we are teaching our kids to be scared of damn near everything.

Instead of pointing fingers at people and saying "they scare me", we should look to our children and teach them the reality of the world in which we live.

Side note:

I've seen more violence come out of someone exercising their 1st amendment rights than I have someone exercising their 2nd amendment rights.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I understand the point of view of the community just fine, but it still doesn't mean this man should have his rights infringed because of a couple nervous nellies. If this man was doing something wrong I would agree with him being removed, but he wasn't. I hate Shakespeare btw, bacon is a much better topic.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

don't worry if it's not loaded just carry on

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I did not say or imply he should have been arrested. Quite the contrary. As you state your first sentence, I concur as stated in my last sentence.

I am not sure what a "gun culture" is so I would not be able to "see it for what it is".

I think I see what you mean with "community scorn" and would agree that works on most folks. The same folks who probably would not have been doing what this guy was in the first place. Would this scorn have worked on the guy in the OP? I don't know.

While I believe in community, I do not believe community is always the solution. There are some who norms, laws, and words mean nothing to. This sounds like one of those times.

All I plead is do not lessen my freedoms further with yet more laws. I will follow these "community good intentions" even though I may disagree with them. The guy in the OP has no intent of following them. What happens then?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

it's public property

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If he was yelling screaming waving it around that is the time a officer should investigate . If he was just walking around enjoying the day heck he can share our shade tree and our jar of sun tea.

It must be a pain being so afraid . These dip stick tv personalities have brain washed the American people and turned them to Gun hating and being afraid.

Being so afraid of guns kinda explains the kid who got suspended for eating a pop tart to look like a gun.... pop pop blueberry projectiles. _javascript:icon('
')_javascript:icon('
')

My high school 50% of boys went hunting during every hunt. Most of us drove to school we would hunt before and after school. guns in trunk or rack in the pickup. Teachers didn't freak neither did the security guards . One expressed dislike for hunting some said bring a steak instead of an apple if I got one. The high school population was 2000 about.

Never a shooting at school or knifings . add 40 year Now kids cant even ware any thing that resembles a knife or gun image on any thing. Heaven forbid they talk about going hunting. The politics is turning people wusssy.

Most of the time a crook bent on doing wrong hides the gun till hes sticking it in your face to rob you ask your local 7-11 attendant that's been robed 5 times the bank teller whos been robbed its HIDDEN till the robbery is under way. watch some robberies on utube guns hidden till its in someones face. THINK PEOPLE clean the Peirs Morgan bs outr of you ears so you can think.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: UxoriousMagnus

how do you loiter in a Public park?

Oh I definitely concede it's a stretch.

I just think that if the guy has such poor judgment and discretion to do something so ignorant and that enough parents were concerned to leave or hide - maybe it would be prudent to at least ask him to move along if not haul him in for some rudimentary inquiry.

I also think that this thread has is a lot of "internet tough guy" talk. You guys are all flapping your lips saying one thing, but if a dude did this in your own neighborhood or community, with your own kids or grandkids - your talking points would be TOTALLY different.

edit on 4/24/2014 by Sergeant Stiletto because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join