It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun rights thing is out of control!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
a reply to: SaturnFX

I still can't see what the problem is here. So sad that people freak out about a guy doing something harmless and legal and you lot class him like he is some drug dealing thug.

...I think I figured it out.

The guy was you, wasn't it.
I fully expect this guy was part of some neo-conservative potentially conspiracy website. I would bet half a ham sandwich he has at the very least, heard of ATS..if not a full blown member.
It makes sense...so, if it was you...simply put, What were you thinking?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Im sure the guy wasn't waving the gun around. Man people are so chicken these days. Even wearing a t-shirt with a gun can scare some people.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

id be willing to wager he was probably one of these "am i being detained" guys.. if so then he got what was coming to him. trying to cause confrontations by "Eyeing" people up and down and what not isnt common sense. no where did i see it say this guy was doing anything but enjoying a day at a public park.

if you wanted to come stand outside my house and eye me down all day long with your gun feel free. I'm well protected and pretty quick so i dont really worry aboutcha and you standing out front will probably deter some nimrod from doing anything stoopid anyway so i appreciate the 24 hour guard.

now if i wasn't protected myself i might feel a bit different but its ez enough not to feel 2 inches tall when you see someone with a gun.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It isn't that gun rights and the right to arm one's self is out of control so much as some people are out of control and don't realize it.

Guns and weapons of whatever type are nothing more than a tool, and should be treated as such, the same as a socket wrench and ratchet set or a baseball bat or a lug wrench or language.

Too many people don't understand that there is a time and place to use these tools, too many others are overly sensitive to people who may be overly zealous in their display of those tools.

Who is it that is more wrong?...

A lot of people don't really understand that a gun for instance, leaves little chance for correction once the trigger is pulled, it isn't like you can call that bullet back or divert it downrange from the target, when you can withdraw a knife thrust or a baseball bat swing.

A lot of people do not understand that there are people out there who are armed, who are not police or in any other type of authority position, who are actually out there to protect others from those who would do harm or take advantage of others...

A guy with a gun and knife at a park, brandishing them was really nothing more than somewhat uncouth and maybe a bit stupid, but if he had a permit to carry either or both he was lacking in judgment.

Last I heard, open carry was legal here, open carry was a good deterrent, open carry is a good way to get killed by the cops.

Poop dee doop...deee....

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

If your not doing anything wrong I don't care if you stand on your head for hours on end as long as your not on my property. You can sit on the roadside and and juggle for all I care. Rights are rights! You don't get to trump them because you might not like what someone is doing.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Well sadly it wasn't me, because if I had the whole park to myself for the afternoon I would have stayed longer. Also if it was me I would have been spending a blissful stroll through a public park enjoying my right to bear arms legally, while listening to the children laughing and playing in the background and watching some birds.

But according to you I would be an evil hateful vile person for doing that, and I should have had the common sense to stay home where vile creatures like me should be. That about sum it up?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

The only comment that comes to mind:

Be thankful you don't live in a country where adults strap bombs to a child's chest, and then send them into a crowd.

Be very thankful.

I'm just wondering if the guy was really creepy, or something.
We had Neo-Nazi's living in our state for some time, & I can assure you if one of those guys showed up at a public park, it would be empty in a nano second. They were famous for trolling for confrontations.
edit on 4u66America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: To add comment

edit on 4u66America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Loitering?, are you serious?, sometimes I spend the whole day on the beach conducting no real business of any real sort, I wouldn't appreciate being asked to leave for whatever reason.

A lot of people are overly sensitive when children are involved, maybe it would be easier for all involved if everyone stayed home in front of the boob tube.

I raised 3 kids to college, there is only so much anyone can do to protect them (in case the classic BS "If you don't have kids you just can't understand" comes up).

reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It's a little thing called freedom. The guy had all the proper paperwork, he didn't gun down any children, it seems unless you are doing what you want it's okay, but if somebody is doing something you don't like, then they have no rights?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If you're not looking for trouble,
If you're of reasonable intelligence,
If you have a permit to carry,
You shoud be considerate enough to know that guns are a hot topic. A lot of people fear guns, more than the person packing one.
I don't think it was the appropriate choice to 'flaunt' a weapon in a park. That just adds to the controversy.
Was he showing off, or a hired shill?

edit on 4u66America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I understand the guys right to carry, and the argument for self-protection or the protection of others. But c'mon, man.
In a park, in a well-to-do neighborhood? What the heck is he afraid of?

Have we all lost the ability to smile at passersby, or engage in light conversation with a stranger?
Instead of thinking we will be safer packing, I believe we will be safer getting to know each other.

Say "Hi". Smile.
Don't fear the tough-looking new neighbor kid--chat them up--maybe get them to help you in your garden or you help them with their homework.

Life's too short to go through every day in a defensive posture. Bad crap happens, but you'll miss so much of the goodness in the world, waiting for the bad.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

I couldn't agree with you more. Grow some balls America. I'd let my kid play in that park. It's not like he was hunting; he had it on his person. Which he legally allowed to do. What's the big deal?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

While I see where you are coming from I don't see why people are so afraid just because he poses a gun. Our police all have guns and they probably have a greater record of police misusing their guns then the average person. That being said. I would have simply talked to this guy outright as a parent in that park. Maybe if I knew why he was carrying it or what his story was I wouldn't care so much and he'd probably appreciate the friendly face with everyone around him acting retarded because he's carrying some hardware.
edit on 24-4-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

Is common sense dead in the U.S.A.?

Well by the crazed reaction ............ YES ---------common sense is dead in the U.S.A.

The lamestream with dip sticks like Piers Morgan have vilified any fire arms and brain washed a slew of Americans. A kid eats a pop tart wrong gets suspended it looked like a gun. common sense is dead ! Another one holds his finger lik a gun suspended.

link   
Yet there may well have been an ex-con in the park at the same time carrying a stolen gun... which he had no permit for. But since he would be concealing it.... no one would be wise to the fact that he was carrying. Out of sight, out of mind... help keep the true ball-less wonders at ease and carry concealed.

link   
It's probably because I don't know that fool, I don't know who he is, what he's going through, how stable or unstable he is. You'd be damn sure I'd confront him, nevermind calling the police since they're bound by a certain rule set. Go ahead and try using your 2nd ammendment bs on me, i'll throw the common sense card at you. It's common sense not to walk around brandishing a butcher knife on hollywood blvd. Same applies to this situation.

It would be different if he were in a war torn state, but he's not, he's in a safe neighbourhood in a safe park, with no threat to his or his families well being.
edit on 24-4-2014 by blindlyzack because: Extra Required

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Carrying a gun is like carrying a condom, it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. My CPL instructor said if you carry, carry all the time, that way you don't look out of place when you are carrying and draw unnecessary attention to yourself trying to adjust to the fact that you have a pistol on your hip.

Also, why can't he carry and still be able to smile at passersby and engage in light conversation with a stranger, or vice versa?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
There is no reason for someone to be out in a place like that with an exposed gun. Scaring people is not good. If the guy wants protection, get a pistol and a concealed weapons permit. People can work with the local cops if they want to and help keep places safe without scaring people in the area.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I always get a chuckle out of gun nuts saying guns dont kill people, people do.

There kinda right, issue these days is too many dumb people with access to guns and keyboards lol.

To everybody who call out people that dont feel safe around a gun, i dont think there the problem.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Some of the replies are straw man hilarity.

If he's afraid for his safety, why go to a park with kids? To use them as human shields? The park isn't dangerous, just kids playing sports.

He wasn't taking a walk or utilizing the park facilities. He was walking around the parking lot brandishing his multiple weapons - to what end?

If he doesn't shoot anyone and just struts around causing apprehension and concern, you guys scream "It's his right!" "He's a patriot!" "What a bunch of pussies!"

If he shoots someone you guys would probably scream "The government did it!", like some looneys claim with Sandy Hook. Hell, even in this thread, someone has already suggested he was paid or a shill. WTH!?

Does it matter at all to you that his behavior makes no damn sense? That it causes panic, given recent events? Does it matter that kids and families just trying to enjoy baseball and soccer on a spring day were intimidated by a dude having weapons totally out of context or reasoning? Why does that make them "pussies"? Are the families whose funerals have been picketed by Westboro "pussies"? No.

Why can't he just be a dumb-ass with judgment so poor that voids his right to bear arms? Why do his rights trump the rights of others?

You guys are losing your minds and the public relations battle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join