It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun rights thing is out of control!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

www.cbs46.com...

FORSYTH COUNTY, GA (CBS46) -

Parents whose children play at a popular park in Forsyth County are worried about a man they've seen carrying a gun.

The sheriff's office investigated after dozens of parents called 911 about the armed man at Fowler Park off Carolene Way.

They said the man was at the park with gun and a knife on Monday and Tuesday. By Wednesday, the normally very busy park was empty, no kids anywhere.

More details at the link...

This is what everyone is talking about where I live...

Apparently the guy had no reason to be at the park, no kids, etc - just walking around flashing his gun and knife because he could. He had a permit so the sheriff's office could do nothing - but was not happy and are stepping up patrols in the area.

Another local station interviewed parents whose kids were playing baseball at the time...the parents, out of an abundance of caution, huddled the kids in a shielded area until the guy was gone.

Is this what the U.S. has been reduced to...kids trying to play baseball and soccer cowering for their safety so some freaking asshat can claim his second amendment rights.

Is common sense dead in the U.S.A.?

The irony is that Forsyth County has got to be one of the most conservative, gun-toting places in the U.S., outside of Texas. Half or more of these parents are likely gun owners and likely carriers.

I don't know what the answer is - how we balance 2nd amendment rights versus public safety, but, just dang - this is some crap right here!!!

It's a crazy, messed up world.

edit on 4/24/2014 by Sergeant Stiletto because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

The irony is that Forsyth County has got to be one of the most conservative, gun-toting places in the U.S

If that's the case then why are the parents so freaked out about it? We used to have guns everywhere when I was younger. Every pickup truck had gun racks, people carried pistols nobody really thought anything about it. Now with the MSM gun hysteria all someone needs to do is pull out a squirt-gun and SWAT descends.

As far as this particular guy, if he's brandishing a weapon around people that's a crime as far as I know. If however he simply has one in a holster and someone sees it there's no crime in that.

America needs to grow a backbone again.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sergeant Stiletto
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should

www.cbs46.com...

That it is what the U.S. has been reduced to...kids trying to play baseball and soccer cowering for their safety so some freaking asshat can claim his second amendment rights.

Is common sense dead in the U.S.A.?

The irony is that Forsyth County has got to be one of the most conservative, gun-toting places in the U.S., outside of Texas. Half or more of these parent's are likely gun owner's and carriers.

I don't know what the answer is - how we balance 2nd amendment rights versus public safety, but, just dang - this is some crap right here!!!

It's a crazy, messed up world.

The guy was legal and had a license to carry, so whats the problem? I get that people might not like the fact that he was strolling the park, but he was doing nothing wrong. The problem with the US is that people have become so damn pussified by the media and PC crap that when they see someone with a gun they freak out.

Lets all run and cower in fear because someone went through all the paperwork and obtained a license to legally carrying a gun. OH THE HUMANITY! I would be more worried about he cop that was called than the guy they called him about. Could have turned into the local pet cemetery if they had all still been there with the family dog!

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The 2nd amendment allows you to carry guns in a lot of places...

So, lets balance it by the 1st amendment. You have the right to speak your mind, however unpopular, at just about any time and place (within reason. fire/theater stuff and other commonsense laws not counted).
So, you have the right to be a jerk and disgusting. You also (hopefully) have the wisdom not to use that right often.

The problem is, wisdom is slipping a bit here and there on the fringe.
the Westboro Baptist Church for example...they use the 1st amendment improperly
This nutjob uses his 2nd amendment improperly.
Expect more of this overall, because there is no actual alternative.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

You do make some good points.

However, I would counter that it's all just rhetoric until you are a parent of a kid playing ball at this park - post Columbine, Post Sandy Hook, post every other mass shooting in the whacky world of SSRIs, active shooter role playing video games and paranoid Tea Party drum-beating about Constitutional rights.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I agree. Americans need to grow some balls. Why did this man feel so scared he felt he needed a gun and knife in a park. He has no balls. Its pathetic.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

The guy had no kids or business to conduct at the park. I think he should have been arrested for loitering.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The thing I dont get is, why do some people have to push the envelope. Yes they can carry but why in a place that they darn well know they will cause a fuss. It makes the rest of the sane open or CC folks look just as nuts.

"Wahoooooooo let me grab my AR are run around a play ground......... show all that im not afraid of socker moms with strollers"..... sorry my neck got red.

Any who Forsyth county has a colorful past also.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFXn.

The problem is, wisdom is slipping a bit here and there on the fringe.
the Westboro Baptist Church for example...they use the 1st amendment improperly
This nutjob uses his 2nd amendment improperly.
Expect more of this overall, because there is no actual alternative.

Agreed. The trolls are controlling the debate - not reasonable, responsible citizens.

I gotta run but I'll be back later.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
The guy was legal and had a license to carry, so whats the problem?

Ops never suggested it was illegal. You..read the ops, right?

It is also the guys right to scream at the kids that there is no Santa Clause, their mother is a whore, God is a lie, and then explain how babies are made...
Its not about what he is legally allowed, the question is...how do citizens fed up with having to reshape our culture because of some lone wolfs rights wanting to trump anyone elses comfort level.

Your right..we have become more pussified as you said. Someone should have simply walked up to him and broke his nose. Granted, he would have taken the gun out at that point and probably used it, because people who openly carry are -always- wimps who need to compensate for their lack of self defense ability..that changed also...as he is the true one who is the puss here overall.
And that would have been illegal on behalf of the puncher..but hey, sometimes a bit of time behind bars to save a neighborhood from undesirables may be necessary.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The guy had no kids or business to conduct at the park. I think he should have been arrested for loitering.

or beat him over the head with the wepon for being stupid.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I'm sorry I didn't realize that parts of this country had removed the term "public park" and replaced it with "park for parents and children Official Business Only"! What gives? Maybe the guy lives in an apartment and wanted to stretch his legs. He doesn't need a reason to be at a public park last time I checked.

edit on 4/24/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

Any who Forsyth county has a colorful past also.

LOL! Definitely. And quite an unflattering one...

But - for sure - it's not a place you want to piss off the locals.
This guy is definitely going to catch hell, maybe not officially from LEOs but, unofficially from outraged parents and grandparents. You can bank that.

Not suggesting or condoning, just observing how small towns operate.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Yep I also read the part about the OP thinking that a guy legally carrying should have been arrested for loitering in a PUBLIC PARK because he "had no business being there". This has everything to do with the fact that the guy was legally carrying.

ETA: What makes this guy an undesirable by your standards? He obviously went through all the legal channels to get his permit and did things on the up and up and you class him as an undesirable?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

so a guy wants to go for a walk in a public park to maybe clear his head and kill some time and he should be arrested for loitering?

because he chose to arm himself for protection he should be arrested for loitering?

maybe if the rest of the parents of the kids had raised them up with respect for a gun and if the parents themselves were armed for protection everything would of gone on uninterrupted.

as far as I've read this guy had no background to be worried about and wasn't doing anything illegal. people noticed his gun and got scared. if they wouldnt of been so spineless about it nothing would of ever happened. same scenario played out near me at a park last summer.

its not tasteless if people dont assume the worst from everyone with a gun. maybe this guy was their cause he felt the park wasn't being protected enough. heard stories of a raper in he wind lol. who knows really but from everything I've read its a clear cut case of a scared public over reacting. poor guy

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Yep I also read the part about the OP thinking that a guy legally carrying should have been arrested for loitering in a PUBLIC PARK because he "had no business being there". This has everything to do with the fact that the guy was legally carrying.

That came later, different post, and I disagree with that overreaction that is outside the opening post (op). I am a fan of parks for whatever reason you want. exercise, dates, drinking to insanity then playing weird monkeybar games (more of a after dark thing when the kids are home), etc.

I am not a fan of parks being used for pro-racist rallies (although perfectly legal to do), and other things generally deemed inappropriate....its their right, but they need to be cast out overall in some way. legally preferably, but if it is destroying the community to protect the rights of a few who are simply trying to push the locals into reaction for a laugh...well, things have a way of working out..especially in the deep south.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Do me a favor and just delete this post. It is going to completely railroad the entire discussion to focus on this side thought verses discuss the ops.
People can clearly see the issue presented in the ops..and with no rational discussion, they will use this strawman as the epicenter of the entire discussion for their "points"

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I still can't see what the problem is here. So sad that people freak out about a guy doing something harmless and legal and you lot class him like he is some drug dealing thug.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Do me a favor and just delete this post. It is going to completely railroad the entire discussion to focus on this side thought verses discuss the ops.
People can clearly see the issue presented in the ops..and with no rational discussion, they will use this strawman as the epicenter of the entire discussion for their "points"

That's so typical, we get to the heart of the real reason behind the OP and you want them to delete it like it never happened. Wow why don't you just ask everyone if you can post for them too.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

That's so typical, we get to the heart of the real reason behind the OP and you want them to delete it like it never happened. Wow why don't you just ask everyone if you can post for them too.

Its a distraction from the actual topic, I understand your desire to focus in on the distraction and completely overlook the topic itself. It is easier as that is an absurd overreaction.

You know whats legal. me..standing on the sidewalk for hours on end outside of a school or your home.
Totally legal...whats the problem? Doesn't that make you feel all safe n stuff? me eyeing you everytime you walk out your door, my hand resting on the butt of my gun and eyeing you and your family...still feeling all safe n stuff?

This thread is about commonsense..which is meant to trump rights. Sure...what I do is legal, but is it sensible? If no..then why not, just for the hell of it...add to the discussion verses moon everyone and say its legal so shaddup and let a few change an entire community

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join