It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human consciousness is simply a state of matter, like a solid or liquid – but quantum

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl
To put it in a physical form, enough networked computers, with enough data, with the proper programming, would be able to give rise to an observable intelligence, etc.

This really wouldn't make sense in a human understanding unless all of us were connected as well. Humans possess consciousness from birth. Where does the data come from? Also, consciousness is not just intelligence, but self awareness and contemplativeness. The internet already possesses almost all things ever learned by man. But would you call it conscious?

Thanks for the explanation.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: pleasethink

originally posted by: benrl
To put it in a physical form, enough networked computers, with enough data, with the proper programming, would be able to give rise to an observable intelligence, etc.

This really wouldn't make sense in a human understanding unless all of us were connected as well. Humans possess consciousness from birth. Where does the data come from? Also, consciousness is not just intelligence, but self awareness and contemplativeness. The internet already possesses almost all things ever learned by man. But would you call it conscious?

Thanks for the explanation.

Clearly either you didn't read, or understand what I wrote.

It was an analogy to explain something.

Your brain is a grouping of such connections, NOT humanity as a whole.

Its why individual sections of the brain can be damaged and still function, as the whole is greater than the sum of its individual parts.

The programming is what would be lacking in the statement you made.

This is a step toward understanding consciousness, JUST A START.

One day, if we figure out whats important and whats not, and manage to program said network to transmit the data in a way that could arise some form of consciousness.

That is, if this theory holds true.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'd like them to define matter. Solid, marbles? Or waves? And we're not the same energy waves the universe is made of. So I wouldn't define consciousness, as matter, astral photons maybe, but not spirit.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Morg234

I imagine from the animals point of view they are indeed conscious. That's not to say that they have the ability to reason and problem solve in the same manner as us clever monkeys. Then again it's all about perspective, i don't think animals are sentient but they do indeed possess some form of consciousness.

Which is not to say animals could not evolve to become sentient after all we managed said feat.

edit on 27-4-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Consciousness...self awareness...ability to think abstractly...question our existenc...are neither physical in nature nor a property of physical matter, as many people claim. The scientists referred to in the OP, operated within the assumption that it is, and naturally ended up with a conclusion that fit the premise they confined themselves to when they started their research.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n
Consciousness...self awareness...ability to think abstractly...question our existenc...are neither physical in nature nor a property of physical matter, as many people claim. The scientists referred to in the OP, operated within the assumption that it is, and naturally ended up with a conclusion that fit the premise they confined themselves to when they started their research.

Indeed, it seems scientists steer the outcomes to match their theories.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

but quantum

which means unknown but sorry the leap of faith needed to go with the rest of the article is above me.

I agree we are not digital (one's a zero's) but are quads (base 4) looking at our DNA as computer code but thats not to say I can agree on what the hard drive looks like or where our data is stored when we kick the bucket.

quantum physics to me has become far to much mathomatical mumbo jumbo for my liking and is driven by theoretical science and magical tricks with numbers like saying a proton can be inside 5 atoms at the same time because we don't know where it is. well that's a cop out if ever I saw one.

I don't know where my wife is so she must be in the whitehouse type logic needs to be stopped in science

quantum physics says that information can never be destroyed but cannot define never or infinity so I'm off to put a hammer through a old hard disk (kill it) and you tell me if information can never be destroyed or are we going to use the unknown cop out like the disk exists in ten other unknow places.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I read an interesting book where the author compared the self aware human to an electronic device that works as long as there is electricity running through it. His point was that just as the electricity is completely different from the device, as opposed to being a propery or nature of the device.... The physical body works (is alive) as a result of an external energy that is not physical and is seperate from the body. Basically this energy is the life force that produces consciousness. Without that energy, we are dead bodies.
edit on 27-4-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What if the only living thing was the MOST HIGH GOD ? and everything else was just an illusion . Consciousness can never be compared to matter because The Word was With GOD from the foundations of this world. So what was spoke came into existence. That is why our FATHER In Heaven rested on the seventh day which is Saturday. That is why the Sabbath is so HOLY !

Worthy is the Lamb that was slain for all of creation before the foundations of this earth.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Still waiting to hear what the scientists defined matter as in their theory.
And why "human " consciousness not consciousness.
Obviously animals are conscious beings, does the scientists non working "model"/theory work only for a state of " matter" (undefined) called human consciousness?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: benrl

I believe I understood what you wrote very clearly. In the context of the thread, the OP was referring to a method of explaining human consciousness, as the title indicates. The explanation you gave seemed to me not to have anything to do with humans at all, but rather a "network of computers generating an observable intelligence".

No biggie, just didn't seem to really make sense. My thing is, in human consciousness, it is the self awareness and self contemplative aspects that one would try to explain. Kind of Descartes-ish. While a network of computers exists already, and as far as I'm aware, it doesn't think "Who am I? Why am I here? Who made me?" etc. etc. It just does what it is made to do, perform calculations. Human consciousness, imo, is unexplainable. It is a thing possessed only by humans. This has been scientifically tested with great apes and complex problem solving. They can be trained to respond to stimulus, but they can't resolve subtle differences in an analogue, despite their brains being very similar to ours. I believe they gave an ape a flat block, and when he would stand it up, they gave it a banana. When they gave it a block with a curved bottom, it could not understand why it would not stand. A 2 year old could do this in 3 seconds. Therefore their is something entirely special about how we are constructed. That is my point.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n
I read an interesting book where the author compared the self aware human to an electronic device that works as long as there is electricity running through it. His point was that just as the electricity is completely different from the device, as opposed to being a propery or nature of the device.... The physical body works (is alive) as a result of an external energy that is not physical and is seperate from the body. Basically this energy is the life force that produces consciousness. Without that energy, we are dead bodies.

Well rocks are dead bodies, we must have a special kind of energy which gives us not only consciousness but the ability to self-analyze and wonder.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: micpsi

Definitely will do.

it is quite challenging to follow the math but persevere itll make sense to anyone

the connection between science and sprituality astounds me.

i can see how it all connects and understand it but i have a very hard time explaining it or documenting it on paper.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: D3AD537

the connection between science and sprituality astounds me.

i can see how it all connects and understand it but i have a very hard time explaining it or documenting it on paper.

I could explain it in a few words. Math and spirituality (as it is sold today) are entirely abstract.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join