It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CyberTerror war against ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Terror is something we all hate - even those ******* who say they like it will truly hate it if it happens to them or their family... Sure the way we go about combating terror can be argued, but until you have to combat it yourself you have no idea how to do it; you only have ideas on how you would do it.

When push comes to shove only time will tell how to handle it right. Only through reflection and in retrospection can we see the deeds that we've done were in error.

What if there was a CyberTerror war against ATS? I don't think ATS would win. I think many mods would like to respond to this thread...Do you think ATS is strong enough to withstand a CyberTerror attack...from the minimal denial of service attacks, to the annoying car-bombs of empty posts and massive postings without any content, just garbage aimed at filling up the today post and pushing all the real content to the bottom of the database?

Sure mods could work over time but they'd be so busy deleting garbage they'll have no time and less interest to moderate content.

I doubt security measures are good enough to be able to tell where the posters are coming from as in one forum a poster said 'anonymous proxy servers are our friends'. Oh yea it was in the is the goverment watching ATS threads.

Now if we all assume it's a possibility that ATS could be attacked by CyberTerrorists who would one just cause a nuisence or two disturb the traffic of the board then the question for this thread is this...How would ATS handle such a CyberAttack...would it

A - Shut Down the Board and in essence Nuclear Bomb itself
B - Close the border and not allow any immigrants in (newbs)
C - Actively Delete threats as they are found as to not disturb the normal operations and culture of the board or
D - I don't know

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Word on the Street says Thomas Crownes Dog is Packing a Rocket

I seriously see nothing to worry about. Too much goes on behind the scenes

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Yeah I hope many mods respond to this to get some Authority on the issue...what's the party line on the issue... But that response really doesn't quite cut it... There's more on behind the scenes everwhere but that doesn't mean it will help you when the time comes does it... I mean suppose someone knows what they are doing and they think the security system is up to par and then they are in the world of 'I know' but in fact being in the world of 'I Know' is very dangerous because if in fact you don't know the threat then it can't be seen and BOOM...well that's extreme but I am talking about many forms of CyberTerror and how would ATS respond from the minimal nuicense to the major catostrophe! Thanks for the feedback

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Were already under cyberattack. So far it's a harsh battle, but thankfully we have SO with the almighty ban hammer. Who are we under attack from?, you might ask. Board Trolls, thats who's attacking us. With all these board trolls coming in the ATS staff might need either more mods or stricter rules. One thing thats been suggested is that ATS starts a brand new site thats invitation only. So it would be like RATS only an entire site, and you wouldn't know about it unless invited.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Very Very good response...Looks like the option D that I didn't know. Yes in fact that is a very good response in keeping the culture and eliminating the threat by operating in secrecy...Does that include a bit of option A too, Nuking the site or do you mean to keep it operational and only to select the few good out of the pool...problems

1) inflitration would happen and how many new secret bbs's would be made

2) still does not solve the initial problem of CyberTerror on the original board.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
What would be the purpose of attacking ATS? The Western countries are incredibly rich with targets of all kinds that could cause real economic loss, death, or fear. Why bring down an internet facility that has no real influence (with apologies to the Management!) or recognition among the general public?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
THe attack you seem to be speaking of wouldn't come from some 'terror' organization I wouldn't think. I have seen posts in here that are Pro Al Queda, Pro-Saddam, Pro-Taliban, whatever. This is a free speach forum, where anyone and everyone (even COMPLETE MORONS) can say what they will. So, as for pure, red blooded hackers? Freedom of speech is the name of that game, VX coders? Not enough active interface, but again, you have the bastard tie to the hackers. Soooo, you're left with bored, punk a$$ kids with nothing better to do on a Friday night but to launch DNS attacks on a site that does nothing wrong, but allow a little lively debate in a FREE SPEECH FORUM. Arg

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I would think that in such an emotional enviroment that many people would choose to take out their aggression by ruining the fun for everyone. There have been many issues on this board that get very heated I would think that any such sort of CyberAttack would come from someone from within community, as most terrorist attacks do-don't they?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
One thing thats been suggested is that ATS starts a brand new site thats invitation only.

Uh, no it hasn't. That would defeat the purpose of ATS.

00PS, Don't be too worried, its been tried plenty of times. Most of the time its dealt with so quickly that the majority of members don't even notice anything has happened.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I seriously doubt any entity would advertise it's security protocols, but it's certainly not like ATS has never been attacked before.

It's not advisable unless you happen to be fond of lawyers.

new topics

top topics

join