It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going up? Take this 45mph Elevator!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Now I've been in some elevators that made me wonder if taking the stairs, backward, in the dark, may have been faster. I've been on a couple where I wondered if some idiot calibrated it wrong and it was going to jump it's brakes and give a new kind of ride DOWN.

I can't say I've been on an elevator like this before though. Heck, this almost sounds worth paying a ticket to ride by itself.

Hitachi has announced that its new high-speed elevator for the Guangzhou CTF Financial Centre will travel at a stomach churning 1,200 meters per minute (45mph), a speed that will allow it to reach the 95th floor in just 43 seconds.

Along with its sister machine it is to be the flagship of a 95 lift fleet that will bear economists, officials and guests up and down the 530 meter tall building. The sky scraper will even be fitted with double decker lifts to utilise all vertical space.
Source

I guess that'll add a whole new dimension of anticipation for movies with cliche' elevator scenes. Ohh yeah. I wonder, what does it look like if it has a catastrophic mechanical failure and comes to a sudden and abrupt halt from ground gears or anything else that could gum up the works?

45Mph, traveling upward, in a box no longer moving. Oh...That might really hurt, too! They probably have all they need to prevent that though, so heck, someone get over there and take a ride to the top. Lets us all know what it's like!

edit on 23-4-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

might bring a new kind of terrorism to the world...

I can imagine someone screwing with this thing.. and it shooting out the top of the building like coke from a shaken bottle...

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Sounds like fun.

I can't imagine it would sustain 45mph for long, the acceleration would have to be on par with current lifts otherwise there would be the need for a full time cleaner..

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
they have started chatter about space elevators again.
i hope they would go that fast or more!

skyhooks and space elevators are the way to go!

launch from space!

so I got way off topic! I would like to go in this elevator to try it!
edit on 4-24-14 by okamitengu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

I'm not really sure how that works out and my brain is too tired on other school work to do that math. They say it's 530 meters and it covers it in 43 seconds. If not 45mph, whats the average speed required to make that? It would be interesting to see, since average is as much above it as below it.

A wild ride by any standard. Although they cite one in the article which is faster in Taiwan. The Taipei 101 building covers something under 508 meters in 30 seconds. It's getting downright George Jetson out there in some ways.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I know what you mean...

Well they say 1200m per minute is 45mph.

And the building is 530m tall and it gets to the 95th floor in 43 seconds

So quickly off the top of my head, it does 600m in 30 seconds...that's 0-45mph in zero seconds though, so it's gonna have around 15 seconds for acceleration and deceleration.

Soooo... Roughly 0-45mph in 7.5 seconds acceleration

Slower than a Nissan leaf, which does 0-60mph in 7 seconds.

edit on 24-4-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
That is pretty fast. That's just a bit over twice the speed of the elevator on Willis (Sear's) Tower, that'll get you from the lobby to top floor in about 2 minutes and is the fastest elevator in the U.S.

Might have it's drawbacks. I think the elevators already in use in some other buildings could go faster, but they limited them on purpose because of the pressure change with altitude. Basically it's to keep the ride reasonably comfortable. If you have ear problems it might not be so fun to ride that extra fast elevator.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

might bring a new kind of terrorism to the world...

I can imagine someone screwing with this thing.. and it shooting out the top of the building like coke from a shaken bottle...

I used to have vivid dreams of that very occurrence. I'd be in an elevator that crashed through the roof, then started riding around on unseen rails or something,like the factory in Monsters, Inc.

On-topic, though -- The express elevator to the observation deck in the WTC went 30 mph which was pretty awesome. It was huge, too.

new topics

top topics

join