It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unprecedented Plague Has Hit Oranges And Another Has Hit Bananas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Am alarming story about oranges, bananas and, pigs.

It seems "plagues" are devastating some common food sources and they aren't going away so fast.

Production outputs are dropping and the story is even saying at least one type of banana might disappear.

Hmmm.

Is this *Real* or is this some kind of conspiracy to create shortages thus raising prices ?

Is it a conspiracy by design to allow for new "miracle" fixes by biotech genetic modification companies ?

Maybe some new pesticide is ready to go on the market ?

Or perhaps it's some kind of Agenda21 deal?

What is causing all of these plagues to hit our food supply? Have you heard of citrus greening disease? Probably not, but it has already gotten so bad that it is being projected that Florida’s orange harvest will be the smallest in 30 years. Have you heard of TR4? Probably not, but it has become such a nightmare that some analysts believe that it could eventually wipe out the entire global supply of the type of bananas that Americans eat. In addition, another major plague is killing millions of our pigs, and a crippling drought that never seems to end is absolutely devastating agricultural production in the state of California. Are we just having bad luck, or is there something else to all of this?

Main Article;
An Unprecedented Plague Has Hit Oranges And Another Has Hit Bananas

Related Story;
USAID Top Scientist: "For the first time food production will be limited on a global scale"

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Maybe just another affect from climate change?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Probably not.

It is, however, possible that genetic modification could be effective. In 1998 the GM Rainbow papaya was commercialized in Hawaii. It saved the papaya industry which had been devastated by the papaya ringspot virus. Was it a plot? No. The virus first appeared in a severe form in 1950 on the island of Oahu pretty much wiping out production there. Growing continued on Hawaii island but by 1995 the virus had spread and destroyed commercial production there as well. Unfortunately, anti-GM vandals have been trying to replace the devastation of the virus on their own.
hawaiitribune-herald.com...

Your "related story" has nothing to do plant diseases. Or are you saying that the droughts are on purpose like the plant diseases are?

edit on 4/23/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Is this *Real* or is this some kind of conspiracy to create shortages thus raising prices ?

Real or conspiracy, I don't know. But I do know that prices are going up for sure. I buy bananas usually twice a week, and the last few months the selection has been scarce and crappy looking, and the prices have gone up. I can't say by exactly how much, because they haven't looked good enough to buy in a couple of weeks.

I haven't bought oranges in a while, they've been a bit expensive for a while now.

And I almost died when I got to the checkout last week and paid almost $5 for one puny bag of grapes.

I don't know how much my personal experiences are related to global issues, maybe these just result from the drought in California. Avocados took a huge price jump for a while there, although they've finally gone back down to the point where it doesn't physically pain me to buy them.

Whatever the cause may be, things are looking a little bleak.
edit on 23-4-2014 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Probably not.

It is, however, possible that genetic modification could be effective. In 1998 the GM Rainbow papaya was commercialized in Hawaii. It saved the papaya industry which had been devastated by the papaya ringspot virus. Was it a plot? No. The virus first appeared in a severe form in 1950 on the island of Oahu pretty much wiping out production there. Growing continued on Hawaii island but by 1995 the virus had spread and destroyed commercial production there as well. Unfortunately, anti-GM vandals have been trying to replace the devastation of the virus on their own.
hawaiitribune-herald.com...

Your "related story" has nothing to do plant diseases. Or are you saying that the droughts are on purpose like the plant diseases are?

Divide and conquer at work.

*To the OP*

i am also very confused by your (Assumed?) implication that the droughts in CA are on purpose? last i checked everyone in cali said the chem trails were more prevalent then ever lol shouldn't there be more rain?

all kidding aside theres talk of alot of changing gears around cali and the west coast on dams and whatnot. water isnt working out how it used to. i wouldnt be surprised if we see a big shift in farm area and where our water gets piped before too long.
edit on 23-4-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
At this rate, GMO will be the only thing left that's fit to eat, I swear.

Of course, if I were a conspiracy minded guy, I might even see something suspicious in all that for possible connections. Good thing I'm not one of those guys. (grin)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

I'm suggesting a possible conspiracy with the orange, banana and pig problems.

The main story cites those as not in California.

The drought problem is another possible cause of problems in California not necessarily a conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Your "related story" has nothing to do plant diseases.

The main article mentions the California drought as another reason for possible food shortages.

The "related Story" is related.

Or are you saying that the droughts are on purpose like the plant diseases are?

No, but maybe the drought is or will cause diseases?

edit on Apr-24-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It doesn't help that all commercial bananas are clones. So any sort of disease process that's successful against them, will spread rapidly and quite possibly kill them all. That's already happened once as recently as the 1950s.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The banana plague is old. It already wiped out the entire species of the best bananas. The one we eat now was not as good.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
It doesn't help that all commercial bananas are clones. So any sort of disease process that's successful against them, will spread rapidly and quite possibly kill them all. That's already happened once as recently as the 1950s.

All bananas are clones, bananas are a man made fruit, created several thousand years ago by hybridizing 2 other plants.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

All bananas are clones, bananas are a man made fruit, created several thousand years ago by hybridizing 2 other plants.

Wild bananas have seeds. They're not that good to eat, though.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Bananas and oranges probly cure cancers so their geting rid...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
the funny thing is here bananas are considered a WEED (a beneficial one to be sure, but then again so much of the plant life is edible), they grow everywhere. and there is definitely no real problems with them here. bananas are still as plentiful as always.

if there is a problem with some of a banana crop could they not cut down the effected plants, burn them and start again? that might hurt for this year and but would in not save future crops? banana plants (they really are not trees, but a type of grass apparently), only take a year to grow and produce. besides you cut them down to harvest the crop anyway, so while it will hurt is it as serious as being made out to be? i am sure that other banana producing countries could help (and be grateful for the sales), cover shortages created.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

not ALL bananas are clones, they are weeds they grow all on their own. any source information on them "being created by hybridizing 2 plants"? sounds interesting. were there records about this?

top topics

join