It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil Enacts Internet 'Bill of Rights'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Brazil's president signed into law on Wednesday a "Bill of Rights" for the digital age that aims to protect online privacy and promote the Internet as a public utility by barring telecommunications companies from charging for preferential access to their networks.

The law signed by President Dilma Rousseff at a global conference on the future of Internet governance puts Brazil in the vanguard of online consumer protection and what is known as "net neutrality," whose promoters consider it profoundly democratic in part because it keeps financial barriers for innovators low.

Brazil Enacts Internet 'Bill of Rights'

Amazing. Somebody finally did it. Now for the rest of the crowd... Please. And for those who are scared of life and the Net:

...The new law promotes privacy by limiting the data that online companies can collect on Internet users in this nation of 200 million people, deeming communications over the Internet "inviolable and secret." Service providers must develop protocols to ensure email can be read only by senders and their intended recipients. Violators are subject to penalties including fines and suspension.

The law obliges Internet companies, however, to hold on to user data for six months and hand it over to law enforcement under court order.

More:

...."It is a fantastic example of how governments can play a positive role in advancing Web rights and keeping the Web open," said the World Wide Web's inventor, Tim Berners-Lee.

Rousseff called the law's "net neutrality" clause "fundamental to maintaining the Internet's free and open nature." It bars companies that sell Internet service from turning their networks into toll roads.

edit on 23/4/14 by soficrow because: add bld

edit on 23/4/14 by soficrow because: more

edit on 23/4/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
But it dont will happen. I already lived in Brazil, and , I will be sincere: They dont give a sh*t to the people. This law will wrk for a month. I just want to see the world cup.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Nemophilist

If it works for a month, it should work a good while longer too - and now there's a precedent that other countries can follow. We can hope.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Good article, updates the global situation regarding internet privacy, net neutrality and accessibility.

Brazil sets the path for the future of a free, open and transparent internet

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said at the Wednesday opening of a gathering in Sao Paulo that no country can have “more weight than another” in governing cyberspace.

Delegations from more than 85 countries are attending the NETMundial international conference which during two days will debate Internet issues and try to reach an agreement on a new oversight model.

…“This meeting is in response to a global desire for changes to the current situation and the systematic strengthening of freedom of expression and the protection of basic human rights, including the right to privacy,” Rousseff said.

During the event's inauguration, the president hailed the United States' recent decision to relinquish its oversight of ICANN, a Los Angeles-based non-profit organization that assigns Internet domain names or addresses.

….The Brazilian law’s enactment follows the overwhelming passage earlier this month by the European Parliament of a net neutrality bill.

Other countries that have net neutrality laws include Netherlands and Chile, which was the first to do so in 2010. In the United States, net neutrality rules imposed by the Federal Communications Commission were struck down by a court in January. The following month, movie-streamer Netflix struck a deal with Comcast to pay for preferential treatment of Internet traffic bearing its film streams.

….“I believe that neutrality, privacy, freedom and the absence of discrimination guaranteed in the text are really going to put Brazil in the vanguard as a model for various other countries,” Interior Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo was quoted as saying on Rousseff’s blog.

edit on 23/4/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Like I say before the internet is going to be splintered, Brazil is just the first countries to enforce their will first with a bill, but that doesn't mean that any other countries can come back and sign a bill contrary to Brazil, is countries that their religious base will dictate how their will deal with internet and will pass different bills regarding their point of views, likewise countries with less freedom of choice and speech than other will be making also their bills.

This is going to get very interesting, the internet rights wars are just beginning.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: Nemophilist

If it works for a month, it should work a good while longer too - and now there's a precedent that other countries can follow. We can hope.

The illusion of freedom has worked for many years. At least people think they are free. This worked in the US for many years YES PTB were spying on all of us but they lied about it. When PTB stop telling the lie is when you really need to worry.

Truth be told freedom and liberty is something you are born with and can not be given or taken away......Wrap your minds around that.........Illusions.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Bravo
!

Now
(Says something largely agreeable by ATS demographic about illegal aliens, guns and or rogue police officers to get some flags and stars)... .. Kidding.

In all seriousness the Brazilians have a very large presence on the web and rather than being like Japan who is too submissive and honorable to admit flaws in their nation/leaders or being like the U.S. who is A-Okay with overriding decency in the name of profit, I'm happy to see some affairs going well in the world today.

Today is a great day for Brasil!
edit on 2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I have never been to Brazil, but the more I here about it and their leader the better of a place it sounds.

I hope this will set the precedent for other countries to do the same. The US is done writing laws that promote freedom and privacy but maybe other countries will follow.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Haha, sorry.

Brazil is the worst local to live. If you go lonely to the bakery in the corner of your street, you will go with the fear of being killed, and everyone that you left in the house to be killed by a douchebag. Question to a Brazilian if he/she wants to live in their country? NO, THEY DON'T want. The Brazil that you see in the TV - Awesome beaches and the sun paradise... This is only 10% of Brazil! when I lived at Brazil, only in a week, THREE neighbors had been killed by robbers. They rob everywhere, in the churches, at your home, at TV shows (yes), how my dad ever said, the Brazilians are the richest people in the world, because we payed many taxes. They low the taxes for a month, then the prices jump to the sky!. Example: A video game without the taxes in brazil costs RS300 (something like 140~130 dollars) with all the taxes, it costs RS600! Seriously, the corruption is too much. How I said earlier, the government don't give a sh*t to the people! Do you think this law is to make Brazil a better country? NO! It's just more money for Dilma's purse! We pay high taxes for nothing!
I will send some places are secure to you travel at Brazil!:
Bahia-Nope

Ceará- Nope too

São paulo- Nopenope

Hell- Yes!

edit on 24-4-2014 by Nemophilist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

....freedom and liberty is something you are born with ....

Yes.

...and can not be given or taken away

No. Happens. People get beat down. Not their fault.

top topics

join