It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Experiences/Recommendations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
So, we have to go car shopping because we can't put it off anymore. We're currently looking at a midsize family sedan. I've been doing some research to narrow down our choices to a list of about 5 or 6 candidates.

What we need is something very reliable that will hold up well to a lot of commuter highway miles with decent gas mileage, a nice-sized back seat, and a smooth and comfortable/quiet ride.

My list of candidates includes a Nissan Altima, a Mazda6 Touring, a Ford Fusion, a Chevy Malibu, a Honda Accord, a Toyota Camry and I also have a Nissan Juke and a Chevy Impala on there for some variety although I don't expect either of those to necessarily fit the bill.

So, does anyone have any experiences with any of those? We buy from Enterprise getting former rental cars which has always served us well in the past. Every car we've gotten from them has easily gone over 100,000 miles with our current Pontiac about to roll over for the third time if that makes any difference.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Check out Subaru!

Mine is a 1996, over 200k miles and goes like a beast in the snow. All wheel drive! This car is by far better than any GM, Ford or anything else I have ever owned! AND I AM OLD!!!

Give one a test drive! You won't be disappointed!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'd buy an accord. I worked at a car dealership for a while and my impression of the cars your named is the accord will be the best for your buck. It all depends on how well the car was taken care of really. All the cars you look at might have different mileage and for sure had different drivers. The accord is one of the best cars you can get sub 30k seemingly from reviews.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I'd love to. My boyfriend in high school had a Suby and it was pretty nice. Subaru was also one of my prospects, but the only ones they have for sale are all out on the West Coast, so the transfer fee would be about $1,500.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have a juke, Its nice.

AWD Turbo, its zippy and handles well.

Gas, is meh at best, there are certainly better than it for gas, but thats the Cost of the Turbo.

Might I suggest the Chevy Cruze Diesel as well?

There is also an AWD Turbo, I considered it when I was looking at the juke.

Im Happy with My Juke, so Much so that My wife and I are considering getting a Nismo Juke in addition to the one we have.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I totally agree, I have a 2012 Imprezza 34.5mpg highway with full time all wheel drive. Great safety rating amazing in the snow, decent cargo space. Its a real trooper worth taking a look at a 2 year old say with 30k miles you could easily pick up one with all the bells and whistles for 19k or less.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Volvo, two door get a C30 1.6d for economy, T5 for speed, V40 D2, V70 great cars.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

The Juke looks sporty, but we're not sure it's big enough for the kiddo in the back seat. If it were just the two of us ... still, I think we'll test drive one and we might fall in love with it. There's a good candidate in our price range that's not too far from here.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
the mazda, all the way.. ran an autobodyshop for 3 years, owned mazdas for the last 10, without ANY problems at all

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: benrl

The Juke looks sporty, but we're not sure it's big enough for the kiddo in the back seat. If it were just the two of us ... still, I think we'll test drive one and we might fall in love with it. There's a good candidate in our price range that's not too far from here.

Yea its a tight fit for two adults in the back, full grown. But its possible, I've taken four adults and two big dogs to places in it before.

Possible, just not as big as some, The Scion XB we replaced feels more roomy in the back, but not by much.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I am one of Enterprise's best private customers, I have been renting at least once a week for 4 years. Have driven just about everything there is.

In order of how well I liked them. The new Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar v6 is a great vehicle and I obtained 23mpg hwy. Whereas some of the v6 sedans were not any better. If you could find the rare diesel Grand Cherokee, you get 30 mpg.
The driving position, comfort, space and looks made it my favorite.

I was also impressed with the Chevy Suburban, but it was larger than you stated.

The Dodge Journey is way better than any car I drove and I drove them all. 3 rows of seats, good views all around and real efficient, just like a car. except way better headroom and cargo capacity.

DO NOT get a Malibu, the Impala is a far better ride comfort wise, looks better and gets the same mileage 28mpg hwy.

The absolute WORST vehicle I ever rented was the Kia Soul. that thing was SLOW, and got terrible mpg when above 70 mph, I was shocked as it was so small and obviously cheaply built.

the Juke was awful in the leg/headroom area, especially when inside more than an hour.

If I was you, I would buy a 2000-2002 Ford Excursion DIESEL. they will get 21-24mpg hwy and retain EVERY PENNY in resale value that you spend for it. They are like tanks in regards to crash safety, and get the same MPG as a 4 door v6 sedan!
Plus the 7.3 powerstroke will easily go 400,000 miles. Best vehicle made for a family imho. a decent used one is between $12-20k. but remember, it will RETAIN all the value pretty much as they aren't made anymore and HIGHLY desirable

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If you enjoy driving, and don´t want to skimp on practicality, you should go for the Mazda 6. Feels fairly refined for a runabout, and when you take it to the twisties it handles corners like a small sporty hatchback. Maybe just avoid the 18 inch wheels, ruins the experience a bit for everyday driving.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I've been very happy with my 2013 Kia Forte. We got the hatchback. Put 20k miles on it in 18 months. Plus the 100k/10 year warranty covers darned near everything.

Don't ask me about my 2012 Jeep Liberty though...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry and 2009 Camry. Bought them new at the time. Never had a problem.

Comparing them to other cars I have owned, these cars have out lasted them all.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Famouszor

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry and 2009 Camry. Bought them new at the time. Never had a problem.

Comparing them to other cars I have owned, these cars have out lasted them all.

camry is the pinnacle everyday family sedan.

although, i prefered the avalon my m-i-l's private nurse had. That thing has more interior room and rides smoother. Actually can't understand why more camry people dont choose the avalon

course, not everyone is a big, tall goofy ogre like me

new topics

top topics

join