It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Drinking Age is Past Its Prime

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy
a reply to: V22tech

Yes, I have even posted a link to that fact...this is the restriction via the Federal Government via blackmail to the States on strong arming them to adhere to an age "of purchase" regarding what the Federal Government has dictated to be "alcoholic" in content.

Honestly I have no issue with the purchasing age being 21. Most of the States have their own laws on consumption. But to be honest about it, there are enough problem children in American bars as it is with the age being 21. The last thing I want is to go out for an evening and have my husband or myself end up in a fight with drunk overindulged teenager because he couldnt take no for an answer.

If we want to change the legal age to purchase and consume in public, you have to actually change the culture around drinking first. Other countries don't have these issues because they teach their children how to socially drink. The US treats it like sex "God says it is immoral so don't do it" and then acts surprised when they sneak and do it anyway pounding them as fast as they can so they dont get caught.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I agree, the law is ridiculous. Drinking age should be legal age.

Legal age should be 25.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I was 19 and could legally buy beer. I had been buying beer since i was 18 and then they changed the law to 21 here in Louisiana.

Yeah this pissed me off.

But now I'm 46 and I know too many stupid 18 year olds. I say Screw Em, they can wait another few years.

My biggest problem with teen drinking (includes anyone under 21) are teens getting drunk, and having sex and making babies they don't want to care for.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

Agreed to your points, but just as we utilize legislation to drive a culture, we could also use the unraveling of legislation of an aspect to drive a culture.

For instance, American's are keen on implementing vice based legislation to "correct" cultural attitudes towards a subject and recently, some States have engaged in the experiment of freeing some of the legislation and its restrictions (Colorado and Washington).

Given that, there is very little known about the effects of that which is being allowed, yet the People were willing to allow it and give it a chance. Without a major lobbying group behind it (aka MADD), it passed and the People will determine if the experiment will work.

In the case of drinking purchase and possession (in public; to satisfy a previous poster), the States can choose to reduce the laws if their People so wish to, but they will take a monetary hit -- that is blackmail.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join