It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Drinking Age is Past Its Prime

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
a reply to: ownbestenemy in case you haven't noticed, nothing in this country is fair.
But yes, i honestly believe this.

Oh for crying out loud...dramatic much? NOTHING is fair? Really? Come on now...

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
a reply to: ownbestenemy

A 20 year old just drove into an apartment building doing 80mph, at 3 am the other night, here in LA and killed a 16 year old girl sleeping in her bed. He of coarse walked away for the most part unhurt, I have a DUI and thank God I did not hurt anyone. Drinking contributes to 80,000 deaths in the US per year. Out of the 33,561 deaths in traffic accidents in 2012 10,322 of the deaths were from drunk driving accidents. How can anyone not see how eye opening that is. The age restriction on drinking has allot to do with the deaths of young adults in car accidents, and deaths in general due to drinking. So if its just a little harder for them to get booze till they are hopefully at 21 a little older and wiser than at 18 so be it. Of coarse they are going to drink anyway, I know I did.

Hey I am all about letting a 19 year old have a couple of drinks on special occasions, a weekend at the lake with mom and dad, etc, but no way being able to go bar hoping, or being able to go and buy a bottle of vodka and having access to keys to a car.

Exactly. A little perspective goes a long way. The law was not part of any conspiracy or an attempt by the mean old gub'ment to take away your rights. It was a response to PUBLIC DEMAND that something be done about the enormous numbers of drunk teens wrapping themselves around trees and killing people. It was out of hand. Don't believe me? Take five minutes to do a little Google searching. America had a real problem with drunk teens back in the late 70s and early 80s, leading to MADD and this law. It's not perfect, but those of us old enough to have been around when it passed know why it exists.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
unfortunately people say I have a drinking problem. but hey, I loved myself when I was drinking, it was everyone else who had the problem.

on a serious note, I am an unfortunate one who can't put the bottle down when I pick it up.

with that being said, I totally agree that it is absurd that we have the 21 law here in America. it's contradictory since you are allowed to serve your country and vote at the age of 18, but you can't buy a beer?

complete nonsense I say.
edit on 24-4-2014 by solongandgoodnight because: spell

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaffo

originally posted by: kurthall

A 20 year old just drove into an apartment building doing 80mph, at 3 am the other night, here in LA and killed a 16 year old girl sleeping in her bed. He of coarse walked away for the most part unhurt, I have a DUI and thank God I did not hurt anyone. Drinking contributes to 80,000 deaths in the US per year. Out of the 33,561 deaths in traffic accidents in 2012 10,322 of the deaths were from drunk driving accidents. How can anyone not see how eye opening that is. The age restriction on drinking has allot to do with the deaths of young adults in car accidents, and deaths in general due to drinking. So if its just a little harder for them to get booze till they are hopefully at 21 a little older and wiser than at 18 so be it. Of coarse they are going to drink anyway, I know I did.

Hey I am all about letting a 19 year old have a couple of drinks on special occasions, a weekend at the lake with mom and dad, etc, but no way being able to go bar hoping, or being able to go and buy a bottle of vodka and having access to keys to a car.

Exactly. A little perspective goes a long way. The law was not part of any conspiracy or an attempt by the mean old gub'ment to take away your rights. It was a response to PUBLIC DEMAND that something be done about the enormous numbers of drunk teens wrapping themselves around trees and killing people. It was out of hand. Don't believe me? Take five minutes to do a little Google searching. America had a real problem with drunk teens back in the late 70s and early 80s, leading to MADD and this law. It's not perfect, but those of us old enough to have been around when it passed know why it exists.

perhaps education is in order?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
Even if they don't lower the legal age, they could at least allow service members to drink at 18. Come on, you can die for your country but you cant have a few beers?

They can overseas... and at one time 18 was legal on base even though 21 was the legal off base, but you can see how all that would and did play out.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am seriously laughing out loud at some of these comments, and here is why.

Even though its illegal to buy alcohol until you're 21, everyone knows how easy it is to get it. It's the same way with other illegal substances. It's a complete joke.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
45 Stats allow underage drinking, 29 of them allow pretty much no restrictions other than not in the general public.

Here is a link to by-state restrictions.

Underage Drinking By State

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I once read that the age 21 is when your brain stops developing the crucial parts, so thats why the age limit is at 21 instead of 18. Though I believe if they can force you to serve your country in false flag wars, then god damn it people should be able to enjoy a cold one at the end of the day with some friends.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I understand the OP is referring to the US situation, but having read a couple of comments regarding perceptions of the UK law this is to clarify:

SEE>> www.gov.uk...

Age 18 you can legally buy alcohol anywhere

Age 16 & 17 you can drink Cider, Lager/Beer, and Wine in a pub/bar/restaurant provided the landlord/licence holder agrees, and it is during a meal. An 18 year old has to make the point of sale purchase, it does NOT have to be a parent/guardian.

I took advantage of this law only last weekend with my son and we both enjoyed a cold pint of cider sat in the sun with a burger - yes a burger, or a plate of fries (chips) is classed as a meal, and the law does not specify how quickly the meal must be eaten, or how many drinks the 16/17 year old has.

Oh and for something a bit crazy in our laws, it is only illegal for an adult to give a drink to a minor if the child is aged under 5!! It is illegal to purchase alcohol specifically for someone aged 6-18 (in a store for example), but you can legally offer a 6 year old your booze at home with the only government concern being general child welfare legislation!

*Edit*
The daftest piece of legislation regarding alcohol in the UK must be The Licensing Act 2003 in which Section 141:
www.cps.gov.uk...

makes it an offence to sell or attempt to sell alcohol to a person who is drunk, or to allow alcohol to be sold to such a person on relevant premises

Basically, you can be absolutely hammered, but as long as you can walk and talk straight for long enough to buy your drink then you're good to go. Maybe the UK defines drunk as being a twat...really really intoxicated is OK as long as your not being a twat...I may investigate some case law to see the current interpretations of drunk, but I've been really drunk on occasions and never been refused a drink in my life.

edit on 24-4-2014 by grainofsand because: To add

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Personally ive never understppd why america's laws regarding alcohol is so high. These days teenagers are obtaining alcohol regardless of the law.
Something as restricted as alcohol is only glorified by the underage. Perhaps maybe if we lowered the legal drinking age to 14 eventually people would stop drinking copious amounts of it and acting like d**ks for the sake of it.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

The US has plenty of laws to deal with drunk idiots. If somebody gets unruly, out of control etc charge them with the crimes they commit while under the influence. When we repeal the drinking age also include a law that makes it so diminished capacity from intoxication of any kind is a non-defense. In 999/1000 cases the person usually chooses to get intoxicated hence they are responsible for any actions after intoxication. Also give judges discretion in the other 1/1000 case to suspend sentence.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I have no problem with individual States determining said age limit for purchase. I oppose a National Act of Congress that forces States. Individuals can choose for their own State how they best want to handle it.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
One thing i don´t understand.Why is it so essential to drink alcohol??? What is so fantastic with being drunk? I live in germany, and you can watch here underaged kids almost daily(especially in summer) drinking alcohol, mostly more than they can take. Because everyone can get it everywhere, everytime. If they´re too young, they know some older guys...
Often this ends with alcoholic poisoning, with fights, robberys ect.
Some of you say, if it is ok for the government that kids die in war, then this kids must have the right to drink alcohol legally, too. For kids(not only, for all humans!) to die in wars is wrong, rightly said! But why should it then be ok, when this kids kill their braincells, destroy their future???
Alcohol is not that funny, i know what i´m talking about! I drunk for over some years, just doin party, and i have in baddest times been drunk for weeks without a break. Course it is easier to kill your hangover the next day with a beer...
I have been lucky, from one day to another i didn´t want to drink anymore, but to be this lucky is an exceptional case! I can drink, if i want today, theres no problem for me, I tried three times, but it just makes me tired, and unclear thinking, and i need two to three days to be on top again. Not that funnny, and this is good so, for me!
So i know exactly why alcohol is not good, believe me. And i know why, when i say alcohol is not good, for nobody. If young or old, if man or woman, if poor or wealthy, if soldier or hippie...
Better get some herbs and stay yourself!
edit on 24 4 2014 by BRDAKUT because: (no reason given)

edit on 24 4 2014 by BRDAKUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BRDAKUT

Not really for this discussion and I do not think anyone is advocating like you are...

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Reading over the Act, we can see that it doesn't apply to you, or I, or your Church, or even a party -- it applies to the sale of alcohol and at what age one can purchase (as I stated above, it says nothing to the consumption thereof).

The above is a false statement.

The Secretary shall withhold 10 per centum of the amount required to be apportioned to any State under each of sections 104 (b)(1), 104 (b)(3), and 104 (b)(4) [1] of this title on the first day of each fiscal year after the second fiscal year beginning after September 30, 1985, in which the purchase or public possession in such State of any alcoholic beverage by a person who is less than twenty-one years of age is lawful.

edit on R592014-04-24T22:59:57-05:00k594Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

It clearly states purchase or public possession. So if you're under 21 and holding a beer....its illegal

edit on R002014-04-24T23:00:53-05:00k004Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R022014-04-24T23:02:34-05:00k024Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
As a Quebec guy - french speaking people in Canada, just north of the USA border - I say this, while under the influence, of course:
in 1985, we had an student exchange program from Fort Smith, in the (then) North west territories( Legal Drinking Age was 21), and us, in the lower down St-Laurence River of Quebec( LDA was 18, and then not really enforced by anyone).
We were in AWE when those kids from the north-west canada got their stashes of POT out and started to roll joints (we where 16 yo at the time!).
And then, we were amazed how they could not have a drink without throwing up everywhere and starting a fight for nothing every time.
My point is, from what I have seen, English Canada fight on when drunk BECAUSE they were not allowed to drink when having fun AND being young.
For frenchies, the legal drinkin age is just a suggestion, and for sure, it is the way to be. Get real with your youth.
youtu.be...
Peace, for Christ sake.

edit on 24-4-2014 by lovizall because: legal drinking age was not written at that beer-time-space.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You have to change the whole American culture of binge drinking and being irresponsible while drinking. As long society make it cool to drink until puking and passed out, that is the kind of thing we will continue to see no matter the drinking age.
If society placed expectations on how people drink and looked down on people who engaged in reckless and dangerous drinking behavior, we would see less of it.
Same goes with teenage sex, if responsible sex was considered a societal norm and expectation we would have less problems.
If reckless drinking wasn't as big of an issue here in America, I wouldn't have a problem with lowering the drinking age. A lower drinking age in places like the UK isn't a problem because of the culture. They don't have "drink your self to death because it is cool" culture like we have in the U.S.

The local college where i used to live had 11 alcohol poisoning deaths on campus in one year. I could be wrong, but I don't think you see things like that in the UK.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It was not long ago the Fed's did not let anyone drink but the way people drink now is wrong .
My grandfather told me what it was like with prohibition when he was young but people drink just because it is there .
I grew up getting a beer here and there and wine at the table but it is funny to watch how people change with liquor .
The quiet one's get rowdy it is a jeckyl and hyde thing .
But now the fed's are making other things legal maybe they should put this to the vote

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy
a reply to: Wrabbit2000
I have no problem with individual States determining said age limit for purchase. I oppose a National Act of Congress that forces States. Individuals can choose for their own State how they best want to handle it.

i have no problem with individual cities determining said age limit for purchase. i oppose a state act of the state legislature that forces cities. individuals can choose for their own city how they best want to handle it.

not really understanding this whole opposition to federal law and support for state law
but i guess some artificial lines on a map totally make the difference between something being right or wrong

if you allow states to make varying laws on important issues (probably not over the drinking age) youre going to ultimately end up with a civil war
which might be a good way to get rid of bad (old) blood (ideologies)..... but since it will never be no quarter those old wounds will fester in the survivors and cause bigger problems later
edit on 25-4-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The problem is that telling anyone that they can't do something until a certain age or time period does nothing but make them want to do it all the more. There are European nations that have little or no restrictions on alcohol. Not that it really matters, doctors hand out pills that do far more damage to kids as young as 5. Society is just backwards and none of it is done to "protect us". It's all BS!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join