It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Drinking Age is Past Its Prime

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm from Canada, the drinking laws are somewhat lax here, I remember my dad offering me a beer at family gatherings, or if we were just watching the hockey game or something. But it was only when he was around or my mother. And of course I wasn't under 16. It only becomes a problem when people under 19 here are on the streets, drinking, or at a bar drinking.

My girlfriend is from England, and just relatively recently pubs and such could only serve till 11PM! And you could drink on the streets. But that's all changed. But drinking age is 18 there, 16 if you are with your parents, or out for a meal.

The states are so far behind it's crazy. They should just lower it to 19 at least. Most teens drink anyways.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Having read the article and worked in an industry that sold age restricted products the following can be stated:

The issue here is that one hand you have 18 year olds who are able to vote, drive, and volunteer to serve in the military and put their life on the line, but at the same time are not able to purchase alcohol at all. While it may seem like a bad idea, I do agree with that law and here is why.

When you were 18, how many friends did you have? Chances are if you were in high school, you knew all ages and were friends with those both older and younger.

Now here is the problem with allowing an 18 year old from purchasing alcohol, how do you stop them from giving it to someone who is younger and who should not be drinking or having such legally? And it happens all of the time, someone who is older will often go in, and purchase an age control product and then give it to someone who is younger. While working in the convenience store business, I saw it far too many times. I would say in some cases 90% of the time that was the case, and I did ID to ensure I did not see to someone who was underage, as it could have resulted in both termination and a large fine and court costs.

If you still think that it is a good idea, then take a look at the recent case of several persons who were not of a legal age to drink, but did and got into trouble, and one only got a slap on the wrist, even though he was responsible for killing several people.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

A 20 year old just drove into an apartment building doing 80mph, at 3 am the other night, here in LA and killed a 16 year old girl sleeping in her bed. He of coarse walked away for the most part unhurt, I have a DUI and thank God I did not hurt anyone. Drinking contributes to 80,000 deaths in the US per year. Out of the 33,561 deaths in traffic accidents in 2012 10,322 of the deaths were from drunk driving accidents. How can anyone not see how eye opening that is. The age restriction on drinking has allot to do with the deaths of young adults in car accidents, and deaths in general due to drinking. So if its just a little harder for them to get booze till they are hopefully at 21 a little older and wiser than at 18 so be it. Of coarse they are going to drink anyway, I know I did.

Hey I am all about letting a 19 year old have a couple of drinks on special occasions, a weekend at the lake with mom and dad, etc, but no way being able to go bar hoping, or being able to go and buy a bottle of vodka and having access to keys to a car.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Many states allow minors to consume alcohol if in the presence of a guardian, like Wisconsin and Texas for example.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

And a 21 year old wouldn't have been in the same position...but because they are 20...it must be because they are not "adult" enough......I fail to see your logic in your example...

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Finally a thread on a drug we're actually allowed to talk about on ATS... and it's one I never use. But what the hell.

What's being debated here is the appropriate age at which one should be allowed to poison himself (which is wholly ridiculous in the first place, but I digress). I'm of the opinion that such age is not a number, but a time when one is intelligent and mature enough to understand and accept the consequences of his actions.

But if you had to put a number on it, most Americans nowadays don't even begin to approach that point until well into their 30's. No one would go along with that of course, so we must therefore remove intelligence and maturity from the equation altogether and reduce the whole thing to this:

"If I can die for my country I should be able to die from anything I want," which again sounds a little like complete nonsense, but whatever. Blind nationalism=right to kill yourself. Gotcha.

Wait, that actually sounds about right.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: V22tech

Yes, I have even posted a link to that fact...this is the restriction via the Federal Government via blackmail to the States on strong arming them to adhere to an age "of purchase" regarding what the Federal Government has dictated to be "alcoholic" in content.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

It may be blackmail in some states. It may not be law in some states. However, in Missouri? If someone under 21 so much as has a beer, they're good for arrest on it. They don't even have to have the can or be where they drank it. We're serious about it in this state.

All things in good time..and the brain development runs to around (very roughly) that point in life which alcohol becomes legal to buy without sneaking around. I'm a supporter of the law, personally. The last thing we need is more drunk kids. There are quite enough already, and the cops stay busy enough chasing the college kids who don't have any clue how to handle their liquor yet. Just my opinion...

Here is Missouri law on it.

Expansion of the Definition of Minor in Possession (MIP)
Under the old Missouri MIP law, the definition of MIP applied only to the purchase, attempt to purchase or actual possession of an intoxicating liquor by a minor. Under the current law, the definition of "minor in possession" (MIP) has been expanded to include a minor who has "a detectable blood alcohol content of .02 percent" or more who is "visibly intoxicated."

Under current Missouri law, a minor in Missouri may be arrested for, charged with and convicted of MIP even if he or she is not in actual possession of any alcohol at the time of the arrest. The new MIP law's definition of "possession" has been expanded to include either (1) having a very small amount of alcohol (1/4 the legal limit for adults to drive) in one's system or (2) merely appearing intoxicated. The provision of Missouri's new MIP law that expands the definition of "possession" to include having alcohol in one's system makes "possession by consumption" a crime in Missouri and is why the new law is referred to as the new MIP "Possession by Consumption" law.
Source

Feds can drop any age and let 10 year olds belly up to the bar on federal land. Missouri calls it 21 because we want it that way..and making it stricter as time goes, too.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Sure, sign this student loan contract for $200,000 enslaving you in debt for most of your young adult life, but don't drink beer, not responsible enough for that.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

When I stayed in US, the under-21 drink rule was one of the worst (I was 19 back then) to get used to. Here the legal age is 18, although in many European nations it is lower for soft alcohol (beer, cider). 18 is quite reasonably in my eyes though. When one is allowed to get a firearm, serve in the military or gamble, they should be able to also purchase some drinks...

At the end, I do believe, it would not result in more alcoholics in the society. Most people, at least in my social circle, consumed majority of their alcohol from ages 15-18, university was a bit calmer and after that drinking became very rare. You just get tired of it at some point.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
TRANSLATION: "I want to lower the 'legal' age in which a youngster can destroy his/her life, AND liver..."
edit on 24-4-2014 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

A 20 year old just drove into an apartment building doing 80mph, at 3 am the other night, here in LA and killed a 16 year old girl sleeping in her bed. He of coarse walked away for the most part unhurt, I have a DUI and thank God I did not hurt anyone. Drinking contributes to 80,000 deaths in the US per year. Out of the 33,561 deaths in traffic accidents in 2012 10,322 of the deaths were from drunk driving accidents. How can anyone not see how eye opening that is. The age restriction on drinking has allot to do with the deaths of young adults in car accidents, and deaths in general due to drinking. So if its just a little harder for them to get booze till they are hopefully at 21 a little older and wiser than at 18 so be it. Of coarse they are going to drink anyway, I know I did.

Hey I am all about letting a 19 year old have a couple of drinks on special occasions, a weekend at the lake with mom and dad, etc, but no way being able to go bar hoping, or being able to go and buy a bottle of vodka and having access to keys to a car.

Yes, those stats are right, but how many sobre acts of reckless driving, distracting driving, or other forms of impaired driving cause accidents? It's far greater than the number of alcohol related accidents. I am not saying drinking and driving is OK, it isn't by far, anymore than two units of alcohol on a person who doesn't drink on a regular basis would feel almost the full effects, but those stats you pulled up I can guarantee it was for the range between .05 and up, legal range in most states and Canada is .08.

Here in central Ontario where traffic is one of the largest by volume per day, the number of distracting drivers (texting, eating, makeup, etc) has almost doubled that of DUI cases and causes of crashes, and what do they get? If it's an accident, reckless driving, and distracted driving, pretty hefty, what does a guy who blows over .05 get? impound, 500 dollar fine, 6 points off his or her license, and if caught again 1 months suspension, with an alcohol abuse course. See the difference? See WHY the number of cases for DUI has gone down?

Age isn't an issue, education on the substance is the problem. I almost got a full blown DUI; blew a warning, and it kicked me in the ass. One of the officers even took sympathy for me and gave me a card to an alcohol abuse seminar I could attend for FREE funded by the Ontario government, he knew I just needed a little education. And ever since then, no way I'd be drinking and driving again.
Young people don't know that alcohol is a poison, they don't know it impedes the signals from your brain to your muscles, they don't know it's a depressant, they don't know that drinking driving is a SERIOUS offence, they don't know that the stuff is the only substance that can kill us with withdraws, the list goes on, I sure didn't at 16 - 17.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I agree. I never understood why you cannot drink at 18. In America, when you turn 18 you are considered an adult. Here where I live you can't buy alcohol between 2:00 am - 7:00am. On sundays, you cannot buy it before 1:00pm and there is absolutely no liquor sales on sunday. This country is so screwed up. The idiots are at the wheel.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Wisconsin was one of the last States that bent over to the Government. But the Government with held any funding for roads which in WI are in constant need of repair.

Yes, it is blackmail, but what is more important, holding off drinking a couple of years (There is a loss of revenue there as well) or safe roads? Still, I think the tactic stinks.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I remember the look on my mom's face the day she got done telling me in the car that even though I was 18 and the next oldest cousin was 18, we likely wouldn't get to drink at the formal holiday meals until the very youngest cousin was also 18 in another 6 years. Then, when we walked in and my grandfather presented both my cousin and I with glasses of wine. Oh, that look was priceless.

My grandparents, despite being fairly conservative, were of the opinion that if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to drink, too.

I think there are a lot of laws in existence that don't need to be because there only intent is to try to protect us from ourselves - drinking laws, helmet laws, etc.

The proper intent and purpose of law is to protect my rights from others.

My parents felt the same way shortly after I joined the military. In fact, right before my deployment to Iraq, we were given 2 weeks leave and I convinced my parents to have a family vacation in the Keys. I was 20 at the time. Not only did they not care about me drinking, they showed me tricks on how to get served at a bar as well as covered for me on this sunset cruise we went on that had a keg and was giving out free drinks.

The law needs to be repealed, but in the meantime you can join the military as young as age 17 (with parents' permission). If someone is in the military, they should be able to drink regardless of their age. Of course this is an issue with UCMJ and not so much civilian law, but most times the UCMJ mirrors civilian law.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Yeah, here in MI, if your caught with it, you get a lovely MIP. This is why I believe the law is complete bs!
My son, had a great job, was 19, and living in his own apartment. A problem happened, and he was a witness. The police were called. So, for drinking, in his own apartment, and watching the neighbors fight, he gets the MIP.

Yep, he shouldn't have been drinking, due to the law. Yep, it's a stupid law. You know what he said? Geez mom, I guess next time I shouldn't care about some guy hitting his girlfriend.

Great lesson for a young man to learn.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Maybe the best thing to do would be to RAISE the age to vote, drive and go to war to 21 also.

Make 21 the age of consent across the board and let people get a little more mature before letting them make important
decisions. maybe?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I think having one age for drinking, smoking, military service and voting should be the same nation wide. For example, the age for drinking, smoking and voting here in Japan is 20. So, 18 is not the world standard at all but does seem to be a standard in the US.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Right on, 21 year drinking age is pretty silly. Bring it back to 18 people. Legalize natural herbs to smoke too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join