It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

When will racism die?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:29 PM

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: urbanghost
a reply to: beezzer
So you need organized religion to worship your god?

Does it matter?

Do you feel compelled to destroy organized religion because you don't want others to believe or think differently from you?

I don't feel compelled to do anything and its got nothing to do with what I believe, organized religion is not needed to be religious

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:30 PM

originally posted by: urbanghost
a reply to: xuenchen
that is irrelevant or are you saying only white people are racist?

I'm saying what I said is relevant.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:32 PM
so if any race can be racist how is what you posted relevent

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:33 PM
I think we'll always have racism because people will continue to label others that don't adhere to the same mind-set as they do.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:44 PM

originally posted by: beezzer
When we learn to look at content of character.

Hmmm, wonder who said that?

Who was the 'target' audience?

I'm in a mixed-marriage. Have been very happy for 30 years. I could probably speak volumes on the topic, but it's doubtful my effort would change anyone's opinion or point of view.

Best to raise your children right!!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:45 PM
I would like to start with the definition of racism so I can make 4 points why I believe that racism will never go away.
but first I have to set the tone, by providing the definition of racism, many have their own ideas but by applying the definition one can easily come to a conclusion of what racism really is, many people have blind spots when it comes to recognizing racism and the root causes.

Excerpted From Wikipedia: link to full page
"Racism is actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities. It may also hold that members of different races should be treated differently"

My thoughts.
As long as there a differences racism will exist, xenophobia is an underlying cause of racism most of the time and in my opinion is a direct result of a countries majority ethnic identity , culture, rituals and common beliefs that form a country or regions nationalist ideology.

Now here is the point I would like to make , that despite perceived genetic equalizing, mixing etc, people will always find a difference between each other to either dominate, separate or oppress those who are different, hair color, eye color, height, etc.

Unfortunately you have the age old light skinned dark skinned issue within the black race that seems to still be present today, having it's roots from the differences between the house slave and the field slave to put it politically correct, most of the time the light skinned slave was the product of the master mixing with the slaves and so you have division created within a group of people that were only considered property and even lower than livestock.
Special privilege was granted in some cases to the light skinned or mulatto or even made freeman or servants, while the unmixed field slave was kept in bondage, this beginning and reality is something many can say we can move past it, but trust is the issue just as an abused child, how can he truly believe that his abuser will not repeat the actions that created the fear and division in the first place, this is the big issue that many people cannot perceive and that is distrust of the European mindset and agenda, goals as it applies to those who are different and was complicated by colonization of nations far outside of Europe for no apparent reason except to plunder , steal land and eradicate indigenous cultures and make them adopt European mindsets or else.

Now moving past the original seeds of hate and disregard for humans to examples that people will be racist regardless of even slight difference in their own cultural and sub cultural ethnic groups so if they cannot resolve these issues how can they resolve issues with external ethnic groups?

Any purely ethnic culture of course by human nature are not receptive to those who are different, this is just built in, going back to tribal and clan structure, trust is an issue when encountering outside tribes , but of course humans ( or at least most) have intelligence which should overcome animal instinct and tribal drive to minimize stress between the groups and find a common ground to establish trust and be able to work together across tribes and clan structure.

Racism drives most wars and expansion, you have very close ethnic groups that have slight differences which they use to differentiate themselves and therefore create a platform for division.

Once the black and white squares were created on the chessboard, these two colors were what were later used to divide and symbolize the game, we know that there is no black or white, these are categories to pit people against each other, racist theories from the 1800's that spawned Nazi thinking and white supremacy are at the core of the issue that remains as the hidden factor, and many educated individuals today ascribe to these backwards and not well founded theories and you can see by watching youtube these flawed theories and mindsets of one race dominating the other thinking has no color lines.
edit on 23-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:50 PM
a reply to: urbanghost

I fail to see how it's irrelevant. If religion creates racism, then it should be a one race experience or in some way directly leading to that.

I think that you just want to find a reason to dislike religion, so you draw a false equivalence.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:57 PM
a reply to: ketsuko
I never said I dislike religion, you have just assumed that. I have followed my religion for over twenty years and have never needed organized religion to help me in that quest.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:05 PM
I think racism will end when people stop looking at the outward person, and start looking at what's inside the package.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:27 PM
a reply to: nugget1
I agree that would be the perfect solution, but I do not believe in sacrificing your own ethnic pride or heritage to fit in or be politically correct, you do need to know who you are and then move past it, you have one very short and valid point I agree totally.

You know growing up, I used to hear people proudly talk about how they can trace their family to the old country, England, Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, Scotland, Italy, Spain or even Russia, well I used to think , wow , I wish I could have some identity beyond my immediate family to trace as far as heritage, customs I believe that is important, I did have knowledge of possibe European ancestry on both sides of my is the irony, very recently I found my own genetic makeup a huge shocker comprises almost %40 almost a half breed, in total from those exact countries and Native American, the whole time I was denied the pleasure of celebrating all of my heritage because I was unaware, but the problem to those people in many cases is, they still see me as black and subconsciously keep me and others like me in that black square on board, but now I have changed the lyrics from We Are The World to I Am The World! so if you read my post on ATS I am not a racist I am human being calling things like I see them and I think we should move beyond race , but it's just not realistic.

edit on 23-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:56 PM
When everyone looks, acts, and thinks the same.
My guess it will be at least 1,000 years before we homogenize the human race.
If we live that long.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:02 PM
I wonder whether "mixed race" populations can ever truly be homogenous, and I've seen a lot of documentaries lately that look at more subtle forms of racism, even within families, where some individuals are lighter or darker, and it seems racism can come from both sides.

Both "breeding out" minority populations as well as racial segregation have been attempted by colonial systems, and both of them led to human rights abuses.

If everyone is equally mixed, then current racial minorities who have certain land rights would either disappear with their historic claims, or they will still have to refer back to unique racial roots, or possibly even DNA tests.

It seems that the total absorption of some groups into a post-racial mix would be seen as more of tragedy than a triumph.
The current academic discourse would rather see some saved and others disappear.
Differing documentary narratives on the Caribbean, for example, celebrate the survival of some Carib people, but almost mourn the fact that a few descendants of Irish indentured laborers (essentially former white slaves) hadn't been totally absorbed into the black majority population.
In the latter case the insinuation is that the white families who haven't mixed are "racists".
If other communities don't mix to the point of absorption they are "survivors" against all odds.

I've seen discussions on people of color using harmful chemicals to straighten their hair, or lighten their skin.
Much of this is blamed on the so called "hegemonic beauty standards of neo-colonial racism", although the customers are willing (and seemingly persistent) participants, no matter what the academic activists say.
I find some of this discourse albophobic, since white people are left feeling that they are blamed for everything, even if a rich black woman in Africa chooses to buy and wear the hair that a poor woman in India had cut off in a temple sacrifice.
Who is actually "racist" in this trade?
There's nothing that any white person can do about this, or dictate the fashion tastes of others.
Much less attention (if any) has been paid to white people risking skin cancer to look darker, or adopting "ethnic" clothing.
Ultimately I'm not sure that black women really want to look "white" (especially in black majority countries) by wearing straight hair, I think they rather want to make a class distinction, because a professional weave job is quite expensive.

At least some racial prejudices predate colonialism, such as the caste system in India, where dark skin is associated with lower caste labor in the sun (a good example of how class, occupation and racial perceptions can combine).
I just saw a documentary on this and how "Asians" of Indian and Pakistani descent in Britain go to great lengths to keep their skin light with creams and staying out of the sun.
In South Africa "poor whites" can supposedly also be recognized by skin tones that result from exposure to the elements (although vitamin deficiency may also play a role), but predictably this hasn't been much studied.

I recently saw a documentary on Jane Elliott, a former US school teacher who uses a controversial method to supposedly highlight the effects of white racism on people of color.
She divides her workshop participants into two groups - the racially oppressed group (to whom she's generally rude) and the "privileged group".
What floors me however is that she divides people by eye color!
Only blue-eyed whites find themselves in the group that will be bullied.
I guess according to her system some of Hitler's top henchmen would find themselves amongst the "oppressed group", who now get to bully the blue-eyed people.

I'm not sure her workshop in Britain worked at all, and it must have left some blue-eyed people fuming and more race-conscious than before.
The brown-eyed whites seemed very quiet and awkward.
Eventually some of the brown-eyed people who are actually black did suddenly share some private examples of internalized racism, but this seemed more like re-exploitation in a manipulated environment.
One black father shared how he is ashamed to pick his daughter up from school, because he's darker than her.
That's problematic, but surely no singular white person (except maybe a therapist) can help him with that, just as nobody could help me when I tried to hide being gay, or that I was German and feared being called "Hitler" at a stage of my life.
Sure, one can arguably hide being German or gay (never-mind HIV-positive) much better than "race", but it's even more stressful hiding a none-chosen attribute that might be revealed sooner or later.
Those are personal issues to overcome, but at least it made one person voice his personal issues, even if an hostile, inappropriate setting.
We're also no longer in the era where everybody experiences civil rights or apartheid era brutality, and I could think of examples where I was very badly treated or ignored because I'm white.
In fact, I've been treated in ways that are exactly like Jane Elliott treats her blue-eyed whites.
The same goes for Asians (Uganda once expelled its entire Asian population), and there's also xenophobia against black refugees in South Africa.
So I think this kind of treatment of racism can be helpful, especially in an historic sense, but it also helps to inflame racial consciousness.
I could carry on forever on the issues in South Africa, and also on the "Durban Conferences" on racism, which eventually were boycotted by the US because they mostly ended in Israel-bashing, pro-Islamist rhetoric on "blasphemy laws", anti-Zionist conspiracies and throwing open Western countries to all, with no censure of white dispossession in parts of Africa. (See for example:
So the current academic discussion is very much: "White people are bad", unless they leave their cultures for cultural Marxism or Islam, or virtually confess their "unique crimes" against the rest of society.
Their property or technology is not necessarily bad, only if they don't invite everyone else to share it for free.
Sure, a lot was bad, but it seems there's more interest in creating a new hegemony than really unpacking history.
We could end racism sooner if all people took responsibility for historic and current slavery, war and chauvinism.

edit on 23-4-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:04 PM

The 3 main Human Races are not completely melded yet.

what the heck are these 3 MAIN human RACES you speak of? *stretches fingers over keyboard*

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:22 PM

originally posted by: luciddream

The 3 main Human Races are not completely melded yet.

what the heck are these 3 MAIN human RACES you speak of? *stretches fingers over keyboard*

The same 3 that exist and have existed.

Ethnographic division into races from Meyers Konversationslexikon of 1885-90 is listing:

Caucasian races (Aryans, Hamites, Semites)

Mongolian races (northern Mongolian, Chinese and Indo-Chinese, Japanese and Korean, Tibetan, Malayan, Polynesian, Maori, Micronesian, Eskimo, American Indian),

Negroid races (African, Hottentots, Melanesians/Papua, “Negrito”, Australian Aborigine, Dravidians, Sinhalese)

How many major races are there in the world?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:44 PM
For what they were ...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:51 PM
a reply to: urbanghost

You failed to address the main point.

Please explain how exactly religion creates racism. Until you do, I suspect you're just using your dislike to fuel a desire to draw a false equivalency.

I could just as easily claim that nations create racism because they create divided groups or that sports teams create racism using the same rationale.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:15 PM
I think it's fascinating that the majority of the opinions expressed on the very first page of this thread are along the lines of racism isn't a real problem, it's just a ploy to get some sort of "advantage," that alleging racism is in of itself the cause of racism, and that if everyone just ignores it, it will go away.

"As soon as people stop bringing it up and perpetuating it."

"Well, for one thing when folks stop politicizing race for personal, or group gain the divisive speech being omitted from our daily information intake will certainly help."

"When race pimps stop race pimping!!!"
"When people stop calling others "racist" for having a point of view different than their own."
"Racism will stop when the double standards/hypocrisy (sp?) stops."
"Just stop giving it thought and it goes away, give no meaning."

Ever heard of Stormfront? Stormfront Website Posters Have Murdered Almost 100 People
How about popular racist website
Ever seen /r/racism on Imgur?
How about /r/whiterights on Reddit?
Did you all forget the deluge of racist tweets over last year's Miss America? check them out.

Remember Republican Minnesota State Representative Pat Garofalo's racist tweet from last month?

Let's be honest, 70% of teams in NBA could fold tomorrow + nobody would notice a difference w/ possible exception of increase in streetcrime

How about this lovely picture that stirred up quite a frenzy in 2008? It's from the personal Facebook page of Rand Paul's then campaign spokesperson, Chris Hightower?

So it's not bigots that are the problem, it's all the people who have the audacity not to ignore them I guess? Deny Ignorance? yeeeeaaaah right.. most of you are happily basking in ignorance and denying reality and if that wasn't bad enough, you recommend it to everyone else!
edit on 2014-4-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

edit on 2014-4-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:02 PM
Well a few things need to happen first.

1. Race as a political weapon needs to stop on ALL political sides.

2. True racist dbags die off.

3. We stop, at least in America, referring to each other as African American or Hispanic forth and so on.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:15 PM
a reply to: theantediluvian

real classy.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:37 PM
What was discussed and transpired at "Durban III" in 2011, at what was basically the United Nations' third attempt at a World Conference on Racism following decisions at a conference in the South African city of Durban in 2001.
This time it was held in New York, and was greeted with counter-events.

Once again it was a bit of a fiasco, which was itself accused of racism.

Nevertheless, it pretty much once again spelled out the hegemonic leftist position for aspiring "radicals": Blasphemy laws, the exclusion of gays, the inclusion of regimes with no democratic rights, or any fair historical discussion on slavery in the Islamic world.

Mostly it was hijacked by the Palestine/Israel saga.

I don't think it even took note of opinions, experiences or media inclusion/exclusion of average people and their raced identities.

I also doubt it discussed hate groups and forums across the spectrum (and they do exist across the racial spectrum).

Well that's what the two hegemonic blocks are discussing, or refusing to discuss.
How very unhelpful.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>