It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Pakistan Gives Up Search for Bin Laden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Pakistan is ending its two year military operation in the area of Waziristan for the search of the elusive Osama Bin Laden. It was long suggested that Bin Laden had retreated to the mountains in the tribal area of Waziristan, however, Pakistani officials state that they feel that Osama is no longer in the area and will no longer commit extensive military forces to the search which they believe is futile.

www.ctv.ca
The army will remove checkpoints in Wana, the main town in South Waziristan, Lt. Gen. Safdar Hussain, the top general in northwestern Pakistan, said after meeting with tribal elders Friday.

He said the moves are "in return for the support of tribesmen in operations against foreign miscreants." Some troops will remain in the area, he said.

"We have been assured by tribal elders that they will not allow miscreants to hide in areas under their control," Hussain said.

Between 7,000 and 8,000 Pakistani forces were deployed in a three-pronged offensive in the eastern reaches of the rugged region this month. U.S. military forces remain largely on the Afghanistan side in hopes of capturing or killing any al Qaeda operatives crossing the border.

Earlier this month, U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Lance Smith, deputy commander of Central Command, said it was "essential that Pakistan military continue their operations" in the area, adding that Pakistan has made "very, very positive moves" against al Qaeda and its supporters in the past six months.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

U.S. Officials earlier commented that Pakistan still needs to put pressure on Al-Qaeda and continue their search for Bin Laden prior the Pakistani decision. I personally believe that if Bin Laden is alive, that would be the area to find him, but since Pakistan seems to have worked out a deal with tribal leaders and have successfully nabbed several other Al-Qaeda members, I cannot doubt that they are making a carefully calculated decision to withdraw from a quest that will probably not end. Even though Pakistan is will not be actively hunting for Bin Laden, their efforts in the war against terrorism will still hopefully continue.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.cnn.com

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
With Pakistan being a majority Muslim nation, and among them many are radical Muslims who see Osama Bin laden as a hero.

To make peace with the more tribal regions of Pakistan I am sure this kind of move was to be expected.

Remember it was not that long ago that there was an attempt to take out the Pakistani President.

I wonder if that had an an effect on them?

Despite what the U.S. wishes are the Pakistani government cannot simply ignore the Muslim population of their nation.

It is a fine line Pakistan walks in aiding the U.S. war on terrorism and controling its population.

If Pakistan were to capture or kill Bin Laden.. They may face numorus attacks and perhaps some form of civil war.

Interesting find worldwatcher

Gazz

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I suspect there's a little more going on behind the scenes. So they're not committing "extensive" forces. But "some troops will remain in the area". OK, so the sweep was unsuccessful, but they're going to keep an eye on the place. Makes sense to me. Some possibilities:

1. Making a show of "giving up" could cause complacency or a false sense of security in the target, making him relax his discipline and therefore improve the prospect of detection.

2. They've succeeded in co-opting the locals, as the article states. The locals are more apt to succeed.

3. They've got good reason for believing the target is not in the area. Either the sweep was thorough enough to rule out the area, or they have new information that he is elsewhere.

join