Another "WOW" Signal, or something more natural?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

A brief, blazing burst of radio waves detected by the Arecibo Observatory could herald a turning of the tide for a peculiar class of cosmic signals. Until recently, the signals had only ever been detected by a telescope in Australia, a pattern that fueled doubts about their origin.

Fewer than a dozen of these bursts, lasting for only a few thousandths of a second, have ever been reported. Called “fast radio bursts,” the signals are cosmic enigmas that appear to come from the very, very distant universe. But since the first burst discovery in 2007, scientists have not only wondered what kind of cosmic object could produce such a tremendously bright, short-lived radio pulse – but have disagreed about whether the bursts are even celestial.

phenomena.nationalgeographic.com...

I like to keep an open mind about these things - especially in light of the discovery of Pulsars back in the late 60's, however the old romantic in me remembers the wonderfully mysterious WOW Signal from 1977 which is still unexplained and opens up the possibility that maybe there really is someone "out there"

Remember, the universe is huge, and even if there is only one sentient civilisation per galaxy it would still be teeming with life.

Aliens or not, this is still a fantastic piece of science and opens up the possibilities for some major discoveries.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

This is exciting, while I'm no scientist I enjoy following space exploration and the search for intelligent extraterrestrial life. The universe is so huge, there has to be other civilizations out there somewhere!

“The sources of the bursts are undoubtedly exotic by normal standards,” Cornell University astronomer Jim Cordes wrote in Science.
OP source

The use of "exotic" gets me excited! Thanks for sharing this

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I'm curious to follow how they are going to explain this WOW signal away.

I'm fascinated by space exploration, and always read the scientific explanations, but the inner child in me shouts:

"E.T.finally made it home and phoned back!!!"

Thanks for sharing the news.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
exotic does indeed get the blood pumping. i have visions of warp drive impulses being detected or something. sadly exotic in this case probably means a new kind of super nova or something along those lines.

I've always wondered how we would communicate back home if we ever went deep space. it wouldnt be possible with anything we have now. huge delays and what not we've already experienced this just going to the moon. I'm sure this is all obvious to most but what could a solution be? anything like these pulses?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Oh my god / goddess!

They are coming.

It doesn't matter.
Do you honestly think President Obama will allow the aliens to effect his public healthcare plan?

(think about it for a second. the aliens....illegals.....nevermind.)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore Considering we can get artifact's in standard and advanced equipment we use ,that may have been what they experienced
Thinking about things like static charges and discharges and blips we see in a lot of data that we get from our observational equipment .just my 1/2 cent :>)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

A brief, blazing burst of radio waves detected by the Arecibo Observatory could herald a turning of the tide for a peculiar class of cosmic signals. Until recently, the signals had only ever been detected by a telescope in Australia, a pattern that fueled doubts about their origin.

Fewer than a dozen of these bursts, lasting for only a few thousandths of a second, have ever been reported. Called “fast radio bursts,” the signals are cosmic enigmas that appear to come from the very, very distant universe. But since the first burst discovery in 2007, scientists have not only wondered what kind of cosmic object could produce such a tremendously bright, short-lived radio pulse – but have disagreed about whether the bursts are even celestial.

phenomena.nationalgeographic.com...

I like to keep an open mind about these things - especially in light of the discovery of Pulsars back in the late 60's, however the old romantic in me remembers the wonderfully mysterious WOW Signal from 1977 which is still unexplained and opens up the possibility that maybe there really is someone "out there"

Remember, the universe is huge, and even if there is only one sentient civilisation per galaxy it would still be teeming with life.

Aliens or not, this is still a fantastic piece of science and opens up the possibilities for some major discoveries.

These are almost certainly natural, they tend to be wide band in nature.

Nature produces plenty of noisy wideband signals but nothing in nature is capable of producing the narrow band signals our various radio/TV/radar transmitters produce and which SETI typically looks for.

That said, SETI@Home -is- going to look at the locations of these mysterious radio signals, just in case:

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

In the realm of technology development, we have a couple of exciting projects to report on. The next generation in the long line of SERENDIP experiments, SERENDIP VI, is in rapid development and we hope to deploy it early next year at both Arecibo and the GBT. As a bonus, SERENDIP VI will also look for the new and mysterious fast radio bursts.

SETI data analysis is coming to a phone or tablet very near you! The SETI@home application for android based cell phones and tablets is now in beta. We plan to release this application to everyone in the next few months.

That said, I can think of these signals being some sort of byproduct of some almost unfathomable technology...... Perhaps the opening of a wormhole? Who knows.....

Or more likely, another type of natural astrophysics object.
edit on 23-4-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
People often suggest that even if aliens exist, they must surely be too far away to ever be able to come to earth.
However, I dont think people are taking into account that its more than likely there are aliens out there that have a billion years head start on us!
If thats the case then its VERY likely some of them nolonger live on planets, but roam the universe in giant ships so large they are completely self sufficient, and its possible there could be millions of them roaming the universe!
Some of these "WOW" signals could be from such ships!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I personally believe that one of the major drawbacks in our search for life across the universe is assuming that everyone out there will think like we do, and use the frequencies we deem viable.

Its a big, big universe and we understand so little of it, and yet we're arrogant enough to imagine our way of communicating is the only one.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
People often suggest that even if aliens exist, they must surely be too far away to ever be able to come to earth.
However, I dont think people are taking into account that its more than likely there are aliens out there that have a billion years head start on us!
If thats the case then its VERY likely some of them nolonger live on planets, but roam the universe in giant ships so large they are completely self sufficient, and its possible there could be millions of them roaming the universe!

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Within the age of the universe how young/old is our galaxy? Could there be civilisations out there that are much older than us, or that someone depressingly once pointed out, not sure who, perhaps we ve missed the party, perhaps everything's been and gone.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: JadeStar

I personally believe that one of the major drawbacks in our search for life across the universe is assuming that everyone out there will think like we do, and use the frequencies we deem viable.

Its a big, big universe and we understand so little of it, and yet we're arrogant enough to imagine our way of communicating is the only one.

Yep! Just look at how are own communication systems have changed in just 50 years! We've gone from long wave am, to super high frequency digitaly encoded signals, and in just 50 years!!
In another 50 years we might be using quantum devices that do not even have a signal!

I still say though, two bean cans and a piece of string will take some beating

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: thedoctorswife
perhaps we ve missed the party, perhaps everything's been and gone.

NOOOOOO!!! That would be so sad.
With so many huge galaxies out there (our is a small one) I'm hoping there's still lots going on, and one day they'll come and rescue us from this insane asylum.

Would you go?
I would, in fact they'd have trouble keeping me off their ship

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Fascinating stuff, isn't it?

I think we will find some answers when the SKA (Square Kilometer Array) goes on line. Nick Pope has stated that we will definitely know by 2024. Hey, I would be as happy if he's only a few decades off the mark.

Very exciting times we live in.

Square Kilometer Array SKA Home Page

Nick Pope predicts alien UFO intervention in 2024

S&F.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I think that even if we did get the WOW signal from another race, it would be one on a similar tech scale to us, thus no chance of meeting them, or even communicating in a reasonable time.

You would think any extremely advanced civilisation would have moved beyond radio, using a method we would most likely be unable to pick up....yet.

That is of course assuming that radio cannot be manipulated to move faster than light, or take some kind of shortcut through space (subspace?).

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I cannot remember the name given to the theory, but there is the idea that advanced alien civilizations may not broadcast their communications on just one, or even a few frequencies, but instead would broadcast a small piece of info on every frequency and all of those "little bits" would have to be put back together by the recipient. Since signals can be disrupted or "lost" in their travels through space, this would guarantee the communication would make it to it's destination.

We just don't have the tech to test such a theory, but I believe they are working on it.

Perhaps the sort of signal described in the OP is part of that sort of system.

edit on 23-4-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)
edit on 23-4-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I'll remind some readers and inform others that it is a matter of record that when quasars and pulsars both discovered back in the 1960s, they were kept under wraps for several months because they were considered to be intelligent signals because they were too precise and not simply a different "noise" from out there.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

The problem with your idea is that it's highly unlikely any advanced race would still be going at all after a billion years.

Even on the off chance that you came across a civilization that had advanced for 500k - 1 million years +, it's highly unlikely given what they've accomplished that they will still be exploring & looking to make friends in the way we would be hoping.

Think of the technological feats we have achieved in a little over 100 years (all the more remarkable given the wars/conflicts + nations classifying research etc, etc). Imagine what we could be like in 500 - 1000 years.

Skip over to an alien race that has been exploring the galaxy for 1000's/10's of thousands of years...during that time, they will have seen wonders, encountered many different species (be they intelligent or not). Rather than continue down that path, I think it's far more likely that instead of continuing down the same path that they will probably move to another galaxy & look for pastures new.

From there it will probably be different universes, dimensions etc, etc.

Any race we happen upon will probably be thousands of years more advanced at the very most. I cannot see aliens 100's of thousands to millions of years more advanced sticking around doing the same crap year after year. Even if we somehow found a trace of them that they would even acknowledge our attempts to communicate with them.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I'll remind some readers and inform others that it is a matter of record that when quasars and pulsars both discovered back in the 1960s, they were kept under wraps for several months because they were considered to be intelligent signals because they were too precise and not simply a different "noise" from out there.

Excellent point.

I can't believe you got passed up by everyone.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

not exactly true, in 67 when josy found the temporarily named lgm-1 signal she kept the discovery with close colleagues for a few weeks while the equipment was data was verified and published a short paper locally.
what was kept secret in that era was the discovery of gamma ray bursts by the vela military satellites used for atomic test surveillance.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: big_BHOY
The problem with your idea is that it's highly unlikely any advanced race would still be going at all after a billion years.

Why?
I dont think we should compare what they might be with ourselves.
There's time scale to think about. Many forms of life on earth live for only a few months, or even hours! yet we manage about eighty years. Maybe some alien life forms have life spans of hundreds, or even thousands of years, maybe some can live for ever! Its so vast out there that anything is possible.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join