Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What Patriotism/Nationalism/Humanism is...And Isn't.

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
After watching the short (Below) I wanted to delve further into what we as human beings are committing as atrocities in the name of Patriotism and if we truly understand what it means. We spout it, wave flags, shout chants, face our flags, sing anthems, bow to flags...the World over. Many believing it is Patriotism that we are embracing with these actions. But is it really? Is it Nationalism? And what about that long lost bastard child called Humanism?

What Patriotism/Nationalism/Humanism is...and isn't.

A very compelling, to the point explanation of what we are and who we are when it comes to our understanding of what Patriotism truly means to our oppressors and to us. Is it Patriotism or Nationalism that we embrace today? In many cases the lines are so blurred that we don't even know anymore.

Very different belief systems indeed.

Patriotism: en.wikipedia.org...

"Patriotism is, generally speaking, cultural attachment to one's homeland or devotion to one's country, although interpretations of the term vary with context, geography and political ideology. It is a set of concepts closely related to those of nationalism"

Nationalism: dictionary.reference.com...

1. spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.
2. devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.
3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
4. the desire for national advancement or political independence.
5. the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.

Humanism: en.wikipedia.org...

"Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism)."

In essence Humanism is neither Patriotic nor Nationalist. Many associate it with Secularism but does it necessarily have to be so neatly constrained to such? I for one do not adhere to such beliefs. In fact I am not Christian but choose to take what I choose from the belief. That being we are all deserving of happiness, fairness, love, respect, kindness, charity etc. Does that make me Christian? I beg to differ. It simply makes me no more or less than any other human on our planet.

In closing...Patriotism and Nationalism are just words that control us from the minute we are born/owned. But Humanism...it's something we either are or are not from our core.

Ok, I have no point here other than to just sit and write with fingers typing and thoughts spewing. Why did I start this thread? No idea. Is it coherent? To me it is.

Maybe just to exercise my thoughts and share a cup of coffee with you this morning.

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

But Humanism...it's something we either are or are not from our core.

Ok, I have no point here other than to just sit and write with fingers typing and thoughts spewing. Why did I start this thread? No idea. Is it coherent? To me it is.

Maybe just to exercise my thoughts and share a cup of coffee with you this morning. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good morning Jude!
Yes, it's coherent to me also.

Humanism is, I think, the ultimate in ''-isms". I'm not a Christian, either, and like you, I want a pets forum.
I'd wager that you don't think you are 'above' animals either....
I know I don't think I am - they are my equals or betters.

(I'm having a beer, though - already done with my tea. I'm an early riser.)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Wow, I just watched the video. Very powerful.

Yes, it's time for all citizens to say to the warmongers:
"Go and do your own killing. We have done it long enough for you."

I'd love to see the day that the people 'declaring' war are the ones actually going to fight those wars.
In the past, at least kings rode into the fray - were willing to die with their men. Those days are long gone.
Pathetic.

I don't know who that woman is, but that was a powerful little speech.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

But Humanism...it's something we either are or are not from our core.

Maybe just to exercise my thoughts and share a cup of coffee with you this morning. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good morning Jude!
Yes, it's coherent to me also.

Humanism is, I think, the ultimate in ''-isms". I'm not a Christian, either, and like you, I want a pets forum.
I'd wager that you don't think you are 'above' animals either....
I know I don't think I am - they are my equals or betters.

(I'm having a beer, though - already done with my tea. I'm an early riser.)

As far as I'm concerned we are all just guests on this planet. Humans, Animals, Insects...I knew someone would get what I was trying to express. I took the long way around but you got to the point rather succinctly.

Thank You!

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Wow, I just watched the video. Very powerful.

Yes, it's time for all citizens to say to the warmongers:
"Go and do your own killing. We have done it long enough for you."

I'd love to see the day that the people 'declaring' war are the ones actually going to fight those wars.
In the past, at least kings rode into the fray - were willing to die with their men. Those days are long gone.
Pathetic.

I don't know who that woman is, but that was a powerful little speech.

The ViD Doesn't state but I believe she is Sandra Oh. A Canadian born Korean actress.

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Excellent thread!

Patriotism and Nationalism are control mechanisms.

From one humanist to another...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The video discusses patriotism, but it seems she is suggesting patriotism is nationalism..blurred the lines...and that is fair. Most people don't understand the difference...so, perhaps since those two words have become blurred, a new -ism is required. May I present then:
Culturalism:
The seeing of a specific culture as being superior to other cultures.

and this I have. I used to (and still at times depending on context of the discussion) call myself a patriot, but a closer match is a culturalist. I do believe Western culture is superior to many other cultures (however, far eastern culture in some areas are equal and superior to western culture). I judge culture not on war machines, but of artistic and idealistic philosophies. Western is also...western, meaning the US and Europe.

I however don't enjoy many aspects of American culture (independent of Western culture). our criminal system, our fetish for labelling people and endlessly trying to turn each other against one another. my biggest gripe is (outside of the disgusting war machine this nation has turned into these past 60 years) mostly about the law and order system. America houses 25% of the worlds criminals..yet we have only 5% of the worlds population. This should be a enormous red flag to everyone in this country..but most people see this and simply come up with ways to lock more people up. (hint, turn off sensationalism news and start discussing a system of corrections and liberties verses vengeance and punishment)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
The video discusses patriotism, but it seems she is suggesting patriotism is nationalism..blurred the lines...and that is fair. Most people don't understand the difference...so, perhaps since those two words have become blurred, a new -ism is required. May I present then:
Culturalism:
The seeing of a specific culture as being superior to other cultures.

and this I have. I used to (and still at times depending on context of the discussion) call myself a patriot, but a closer match is a culturalist. I do believe Western culture is superior to many other cultures (however, far eastern culture in some areas are equal and superior to western culture). I judge culture not on war machines, but of artistic and idealistic philosophies. Western is also...western, meaning the US and Europe.

I however don't enjoy many aspects of American culture (independent of Western culture). our criminal system, our fetish for labelling people and endlessly trying to turn each other against one another. my biggest gripe is (outside of the disgusting war machine this nation has turned into these past 60 years) mostly about the law and order system. America houses 25% of the worlds criminals..yet we have only 5% of the worlds population. This should be a enormous red flag to everyone in this country..but most people see this and simply come up with ways to lock more people up. (hint, turn off sensationalism news and start discussing a system of corrections and liberties verses vengeance and punishment)

Excellent post!

Cultural-ism is a not too distant cousin to Nationalism IMO. Take Islam for example. Here we have not only a mix of Nationalism wherever Islam is prevalent but also of the culture itself.

As far as I can tell, culture is Non-existent in the Western Nations.

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

In closing...Patriotism and Nationalism are just words that control us from the minute we are born/owned. But Humanism...it's something we either are or are not from our core. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just to throw out some food for thought. Patriotism is allegiance to a meme, i.e. a coherent, collectively held idea that can self-replicate and has human operatives. Nationalism is allegiance to a meme encompassing your home nation's culture or some variant of that.

Humanism has a unique quality that no other religion or ideology can claim. Human life and the human experience is more important than any meme. For illustration, children are all born humanist. At roughly the age of 5-6, the are programmable and are programmed with memes their parents select for them.

new topics

top topics

join