It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You're dead," Minnesota Homeowner Told Teen Burglar

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Man, the Monday morning Quarterbacks are a trip around here. How do any of you know the guy wasn't in fear for his life? In the article the kids were found with a bunch of prescription meds in the car, they may have been all hopped up on god knows what.

Also, how many of you have been in a similar situation? I'd like to see how some of you calling for the guy to "just shoot em in the leg" would perform under that kind of pressure. I hunt, and the way my heart gets a thumping when I get a deer in my sights makes it fairly tough, and this I can imagine would be even crazier.

While I'd like to think I wouldn't take another human life under most any circumstances, I would have probably been down there with the 12 gauge, so whoever came through the window 1st would have been in serious trouble.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Depends on which state you live in.

The old man should be convicted, it's sad but that's how it should be.

It is premeditated murder. He planned it. Most likely knew that these people will be returning, even setup cameras to capture them on film. So there's lot of planning ahead of time and that is considered "Premeditated".

Besides, laws are different between states. In Texas, you could have an open beer in your vehicle and a shotgun next to you, you wouldn't go to jail if a cop pulled you over.

In Cali, if you have a open beer and a shotgun next to you, you're most likely going away for a short while.

Also, in Cali, you can't just shoot criminals breaking and entering. They have to pose an immediate threat to your life and/or the lives of your loved ones. You are allowed to fire your weapon if they are moving/facing towards you, you cannot chase them and/or shoot them in the back. The bullets, needs to land in the front.

There are very specific laws when it comes to self defense. Just because you're scared and trigger happy, doesn't make it legal for you to shoot people.

I just hope one day folks will wake up and realize that we are not the Judge/Jury/Executioner all in one.

I have no problems shooting/killing a man or woman, if they pose an immediate threat to my life or the lives of the ones closest to me. But it has to be under extreme circumstances, like I'm literally gonna get shot/stabbed/killed by this person in the next second.

Life is sacred, regardless if it's a mass murderer or a holy man. You don't just kill someone because they irritate you.

Here's a pro tip, buy home insurance. Problem solved. Did it have to go as far as murdering a couple of 18/17 year old?

See, this is part of the problem with the whole gun control debate. On one side, I feel that gun control is absolutely stupid. On the other hand, I'm just scared of all these Judge Dredd wanna be's.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84
Insurance? It isn't about stuff, it's about outsiders invading that one place you are supposed to feel safe. That one place you are allowed any privacy. Once people enter someone elses' little world, all bets are off. It's good you are scared, you probably won't be breaking into anyone elses' house right? That fear should be instilled in every would be criminal as well.

As americans people know, that people are more likely armed than not. At least one of these fools knew for a fact considering he already stole guns, that he could be shot. Who cares if they did think he was gone? They still busted the window and entered someone elses' world. IT isn't as much about stuff as it is about making someone feel like they have no place safe, they have no privacy, people keep invading that privacy at their will.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: truthseeker84
Insurance? It isn't about stuff, it's about outsiders invading that one place you are supposed to feel safe. That one place you are allowed any privacy. Once people enter someone elses' little world, all bets are off. It's good you are scared, you probably won't be breaking into anyone elses' house right? That fear should be instilled in every would be criminal as well.

As americans people know, that people are more likely armed than not. At least one of these fools knew for a fact considering he already stole guns, that he could be shot. Who cares if they did think he was gone? They still busted the window and entered someone elses' world. IT isn't as much about stuff as it is about making someone feel like they have no place safe, they have no privacy, people keep invading that privacy at their will.

I am very sorry but I do not agree with your statement. In fact, I'm not even sure what you've said made any sense at all, from a moral stand point.

It's either him/her or you or your loved ones, one of you is going to die, then you pull the trigger.

End of story.

You don't get to kill people because it makes you feel more secure or make you feel better...

What in the world is wrong with people.... my goodness..

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Who cares if they did think he was gone?

It will matter in the courtroom.

For Mr. Smith that is all that matters now.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

So how was it "increasingly violent"? (doesn't say at your link)
And why did he have to make sure he killed them? After he shot them and they were still alive and moaning, why not call authorities then? If he was still afraid for his life then he shouldn't be living on his own. If he shot and killed them, fine, but no, he shot them and then MADE SURE they were dead, why? for what purpose? This is the problem here, he stopped them, they were no threat anymore, he continues, he is a murderer!
edit on 25-4-2014 by mymymy because: Lord teach me to spell

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84
I am very sorry but I do not agree with your statement. In fact, I'm not even sure what you've said made any sense at all, from a moral stand point.

It's either him/her or you or your loved ones, one of you is going to die, then you pull the trigger.

End of story.

You don't get to kill people because it makes you feel more secure or make you feel better...

What in the world is wrong with people.... my goodness..

Would you stop an intruder to ask his intent before you pull the trigger then?

Because the reality is you don't know the intentions of the intruder and when you don't feel safe in your own home, (numerous break-ins will probably do that) then you will begin to feel as though you or your loved ones are in danger.

That's the whole idea of castle doctrine and self-defense laws; that you have the right to feel safe in your own home, that you as an average human being cannot possibly know the intentions of another human being but are absolutely allowed to assume that if they're breaking one law, they're probably not the meals-on-wheels guy.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

But if you shoot them, and they're lying on the ground bleeding and moaning and immobilized, how does that give you the right to reload and make sure they're dead? You accomplished stopping them, anything more is outright murder.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

But if you shoot them, and they're lying on the ground bleeding and moaning and immobilized, how does that give you the right to reload and make sure they're dead? You accomplished stopping them, anything more is outright murder.

I didn't say it did, nor do I defend anything after the first shot, the statement is in response to the idea that an intruder is somehow sometimes not dangerous.

IMO I still wouldn't call what he did murder.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

IMO I still wouldn't call what he did murder.

Execution would be more fitting ... but even that is opinion. There's an old adage that says, "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Mr. Smith's home had been plundered on eight previous occasions. Somebody had to put a stop to it. So what if he killed a punk-@'d thief and a drug addict. The revolving door justice system would never have reformed those two. Unfortunately, the gaze of judgement is now focused on Smith ... rather than the society and social circles which produced 'the bad guys'.

You wanna know why I support the shooter? He worked his whole life towards retirement ... and these kids stole it from him.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hello, I just joined for this thread alone, a lurker since 2009... I worked for the alleged. He was a strange dude. Something was always "off" about him. This incident does not surprise me. He found out I was also a musician and brought German techno music that I had to listen to over the weekend and give a report on by monday with all tapes ( cassettes at the time) back in order, on Monday. My direct boss was told a joke by him on a friday in which he did not think was funny.... on that MOnday, he came in to explain the joke to which my boss replied " I understand the joke, I just don't think it's funny" This must have stuck in his mind all weekend long. I do agree that we should have the right to defend oursevles, but Byron went over the top, That is just my opinion. Yes, I was a contractor to those this site seems to dislike. But this case is very personal to me. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Until we all start to approach each other with love, this world is screwed. Two little screwballs lost their lives when they could have just learned a lesson.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am not a stuff collector. Everything I have is either a useful tool, or a priceless item to me.

That nice pocket watch some drug addict or whatever ripped off from me, maybe worth a few hundred to the person that stole it and hawked it. To me it meant the world, it was a graduation gift from my grandfather. It was passed down to me, I will never graduate again, and grandpa is no longer with us. The ring I got from grandma, to be used as an engagement ring when I finally find that special someone, few hundred at a pawnshop, meant the world to me. My katana, gifted to me from an uncle, probably hawked for 100 bucks by some moron who can't tell the difference between a cheap wall decoration, and a fully functional sword.

The stuff that was deemed worthless and tossed all over the place and broken meant a hell of a lot to me. Pictures of me and my sisters together when the world was so simple. Little trinkets and momentos destroyed. Piece of mind destroyed, illusion of safety and privacy destroyed. All so some scumbag who thinks the world owes him/her can make a few bucks for drugs or booze or whatever the hell their problem is.

God help any fool that will enter my home uninvited. Not that I really have to worry about that anymore since I live in the middle of nowhere again.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I get what you are saying... Byron's manner was way over the top. I knew the guy. There was no need to kill the way he did and liken it in to hunting. He's a nut, quite possibly. I thnk we all should have the right to defend our home and family but he crossed the line. Instead of disabling them, he executed them. They were trying to breathe their last breaths and he took that. They were down, incapacited, and stilll shot more.
If someone broke into my home, I would incapacitate them too, but I would not execute them, teens or not. I would shoot to wound, not kill. Let their minds become hell.
edit on 25-4-2014 by strangerthan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: strangerthan
Kinda dumb to ask for proof like that on a forum like this. *retracted*
If you want to somehow prove it to anyone, PM a mod.

edit on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 00:25:14 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Welcome aboard ... and a star for your contribution. I'm glad you were as forthcoming as you were. We've walked the same path. Interesting how many oddballs you meet there, no?

Odd, though they may be, their focus keeps them out of trouble (for the most part). I stay away from the deeply introverted, but they're people just like you and me. They have a right to live with the same freedoms you and I enjoy. Press them and you may see something unexpected ... and supremely effective.

Two little screwballs lost their lives when they could have just learned a lesson.

I hope that is the outcome in this case.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Umm... no, I dont... We worked in Alexandria Va. He was an SEO, Security Engineering Officer. No pics... I guess it didn't happen then... But I do know more about him than most do. He moved on to being an SEO in Leipzig, Germany after being our SEO. This was from 2002-2004.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Can you blame me for being skeptical though? I mean anyone could join and say I know so and so. Last time I asked, I got more than I bargained for. Kid was legit.

People can say what they want about him going overboard. But the bottom line to me is they busted a window and entered the house. They put themselves in the situation. Hard for me to feel sorry for them. Every habit I ever partook in, it came out of my own earnings, not someone else's. I never got no allowance, before I was 16 I made all my pocket change from mowing lawns, shoveling driveways, raking leaves, etc etc. During summers I could work for pops. When I was 16 I got after school job working fast food.

edit on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 00:05:26 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Thank you Snarl!
I've heard and seen many out there things here on this site. Do I blame Byron for defending himself, NO! Do I think he went overbaord, YES! We had a softball game with our company one day, he couldn't go... he was gov't... but people took note of his sparkly silver shirt he wore when no one was in the office.... Creeped most of our female employees out, mostly our CAD people that still had to finish their jobs stayed that day. I don't know him more than him being our boss and that was a decade ago.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Self edited.
edit on 2642014 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Wow, didnt know that snarl! Crazy! looking forward to the full thing!

A fellow co-worker recently psted on his FB that he always thought he (Byron) was above the rules. He did. I would have to change things half-way though, knowing they wouldn't work, but we had to do what he said. I'm up front because I value truth and honesty more than most. If anyone is skeptical of my associations, I understand why, but it is the truth. I'm not divulging info that isn't true but also not divulging anything that would put anyone in harm. I value life, and truth, and Byron did not value life. They were breaking into his home, yes, but the audio is heartbreaking. He is an audiophile just as me, he got me to but the Beyer Dynamic DT770 headphones.... I now do corporate Audio Visual.

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join