It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallipoli 'ghost' captured at soldiers cemetery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Hi all,

thought I would share this interesting article with you all in which a editor with Fairfax (Australian media group) asks if what was captured in this photo at a cemetery at Gallipoli is a ghost.

Picture taken before. Photo by Joe Armao.

Picture taken after. Photo by Joe Armao.

Source: SMH - Gallipoli 'ghost' captured.

The spectral figure appears in only one of a series of three near-identical frames shot by Armao over 40 seconds. The camera angle had changed no more than 15 centimetres over the series of pictures, and the shutter had been set for a 2.5-second exposure because of the gathering dark.
Armao saw the unexplained apparition when he checked the frames a few seconds later.
He could offer no explanation, but he said the hair stood up on the back of his neck. When he showed Celal and me, we packed up and left the empty cemetery.
Armao, a Walkley-award-winning photographer of 25 years' experience, said he had never seen anything remotely like the picture that appeared on his screen.
Hours of close and sceptical inspection of the frame, including extreme digital enlargement, comparison with other frames and lively discussion of a number of theories about shadows from the flower, tricks of the light and movement of the camera during the 2.5-second exposure offered no conclusive explanation.

As much as I believe in a lot of spiritual things and that indeed, spirit can be caught on camera (don't judge me), I have a feeling this particular photo could be passed off as a trick of the shadow/light of the flower. But that's just me.

Any other serious explanations?
edit on 22-4-2014 by auroraaus because: spelling error due to lack of caffeine in blood

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

I agree with you on both counts. I'm of the belief in a spiritual base to our physical reality, and the possibility of it being captured through our manipulation of light. However, there's SOMETHING I can't quite get past, nor explain to others about how the photo angling and the flower shadowing appears to "create" a second silhouetted figure.

Also, in the first photo, the shadow figure is blurred, and in the second photo, theres a different level of resolution which leads me to believe this is a distant static object...

ETA: Additionally, my limited photo experience leads me to believe that the settings were altered between the first photo and the second, upon capture. Notice the blades of grass to the right of the headstone are only visible in one photo and not the other.

but I could be wrong.
edit on 23-4-2014 by unphased because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I see two. Then I see one. I can't help noticing the flower looks to be in the same shape.

Rolling shutter? I don't know cameras.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I see two. Then I see one. I can't help noticing the flower looks to be in the same shape.

Rolling shutter? I don't know cameras.

^^ that's the second figure which leads me to doubt the authenticity of the first, in my post.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Gallipoli hey...did I ever tell you about the entire regiment that simply disappeared one morning as they marched to the front.......a cloud was hovering over them, and they marched into it becoming lost to view....they never marched out the other side.....

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

No, but please, share!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

That's what I was thinking Domo, and I wonder if any photo savvy members and help clear the image up a bit.

It looked like the head of the flower, comparing it from the original photo, which has an uncanny resemblance to a digger (a term aussies and kiwis use for soldiers).

I do wonder if there has been other reported sightings and/or photos at the same cemetery in the past.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Gallipoli hey...did I ever tell you about the entire regiment that simply disappeared one morning as they marched to the front.......a cloud was hovering over them, and they marched into it becoming lost to view....they never marched out the other side.....

They were ambushed..Their bodies (those that were found) have been buried. No mystery.

The bodies of the " Vanished" 5th. Battalion were not discovered until 1919 when The Commonwealth War Graves Commission were working in Turkey to consolidate and record graves dating from the 1915 Dardanelles campaign. On September 23, 1919 the officer commanding the Graves Registration Unit in Gallipoli wrote in a report:

"We have found the 5th Norfolks - there were 180 (bodies) in all; 122 Norfolk and a few Hants and Suffolks with 2/4th Cheshires. We could only identify two - Privates Barnaby and Cotter. They were scattered over an area of about one square mile, at a distance of at least 800 yards behind the Turkish front line. Many of them had evidently been killed in a farm, as a local Turk, who owns the place, told us that when he came back he found the farm covered with the decomposing bodies of British soldiers which he threw into a small ravine. The whole thing quite bears out the original theory that they did not go very far on, but got mopped up one by one, all except the ones who got into the farm (house)."

I have two family buried at Cape Helles in Gallipoli, one served with the 5th Connaught rangers , the other with the 9th Sherwood foresters.

With the amount of senseless death and destruction that happeneded there in a few short months, im not suprised if theres a ghost or two around.
edit on AM3Wed20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

Thanks Andy!

That's pretty awful. I love reading up on military history and I'll be looking into that particular event a bit more!

As a first generation Australian, I felt like I had no ties to the ANZAC legend or Gallipoli, seeing my ancestors were from Scotland and Ireland. Until last year:

I'd discovered which ancestors did what in both World Wars, and even earlier in Egypt. But finally discovered that my great-grandfather's (he spent the entirety of the war in a POW camp, after 2 weeks landing in France in Aug 14), cousin was in the Royal Navy and was appointed to the Order of St Michael and St George for his role in the Gallipoli evacuation. Which is pretty awesome, given the amazing measures taken by the soldiers to leave.

The cemetery in the original post is the Beach Cemetery at Hell's Spit. Does anyone have any stories, reports or pictures of the place to do with the paranormal?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Not so sure about the flower in respect to the shape of the "entity". However, it appears the "entity" would have to be very large in respect to the distance of where the photo was taken. Upon closer inspection of the images, it looks like it has a hat on, open jacket, in the first photo it appears turning to the side, and to the front in the second. IMO still needs more info, place needs to be taken pictures of in the daytime, etc. Interesting t see how this develops.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
This looks like maybe that's it? I would prefer to imagine this soldier being the cause of the shadow but unfortunately it really looks like you found a match.

Good detective work!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Maybe off topic. All my attention was diverted to the photo of your avatar. Interesting expression.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The fact that ANZAC day is fast approaching wouldn't have anything to do with these two spectral figures popping up would it? anything to sell a rag!
Honestly, As Australian as I am I'm calling fake on this one.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Very much one of my thoughts Playerone!

I suppose this might be a 'beware' for the upcoming centenary.

But, still, imploring the ATS community for other documentation/evidence at said cemetery.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
The fact that ANZAC day is fast approaching wouldn't have anything to do with these two spectral figures popping up would it? anything to sell a rag!
Honestly, As Australian as I am I'm calling fake on this one.

Any other time of the year id' of said maybe..but as PLAYONE01 states we are around the corner from ANZAC day. This could be a stunt just to get people stirred up ..

However, wouldn't be the first time the dead have come back. Maybe they're still determined to take lone pine, the nek etc.
My family members died on the attack on hill 60 or chocolate hill as it was known.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Hours of close and sceptical inspection of the frame, including extreme digital enlargement, comparison with other frames and lively discussion of a number of theories about shadows from the flower, tricks of the light and movement of the camera during the 2.5-second exposure offered no conclusive explanation.

I wonder what kind of things they really did. Looking at Domo's zoomed in picture the shadow has the same shape as the flower, it may be some kind of shadow or light effect. I also thought it might be a blur from camera movement.. but I'd expect they were using a camera on a tripod and it didn't move at all.
Definitely an interesting photo

I also notice that the two images in the OP appears to be taken from separate angles. If all of the frames were from different angles, it could have something to do with it.
edit on 23-4-2014 by Havox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Hate to be 'one of those people' but it just looks like someone standing there in the cemetery who turned to face the camera for the second shot :/
God I feel bad writing this. I'd love to say it's a ghost/spirit/apparation, but I just can't. I think it's just someone visiting a grave or with the photographer and they're in the shot. Unless I"m not looking at the right thing.....

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Interesting. It's also interesting that a Walkley-winning photographer professes not to have any clue what is causing it. If that wasn't the case I'd say it was the obvious - some kind of noise from the flower.

On a side note, my mother's uncle fought in the Light Horse at Gallipoli in 1915 and survived it (thankfully). Later in life, he told my mother that on the ship back to Alexandria, a few of the Aussies got together and threw a British officer overboard for having given the orders that got a lot of Australians killed at Gallipoli. I don't know how true it is but the story does come from a primary source.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I think it is an authentic shot of a ghost. Its a very typical looking authentic ghost picture. Its jutting out of a flower,noticeable but barely unless you look for hi,something that ghosts always do.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Splodge
Interesting. It's also interesting that a Walkley-winning photographer professes not to have any clue what is causing it. If that wasn't the case I'd say it was the obvious - some kind of noise from the flower.

Exactly, why would the photographer who is highly skilled and noted profess no clue?! The more I look, the more I see the head of the flower as the same as the first photo. As an above user noted though, seeing it was released at this hallowed time of the year begs the question, was this a mere grab to sell more papers?
edit on 25-4-2014 by auroraaus because: worded the word which was not worded...word.

top topics

join