It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheist just a cover for Satanists?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Dear OP,

The truth of the matter is that religion as a whole is a lingering symptom of control from ages long past. I must admit, there are, throughout the religious teachings, many good moral lessons and directives. They are, however, overshadowed by a plethora of barbaric, outdated, sexist, racist, or just plain wrong instructions for living one's life.

The US was never intended as a nation under God, Christian or otherwise, but has been brought to that state through campaigns of rhetoric and manipulation of authorities. I understand it's difficult to believe that when you see evidence to the contrary all around you, on money and in the pledge, but I implore you to do some research and judge for yourself.

I cannot in my right mind blame those who are under the impression that religion is wholesome and meaningful in a most innocent way. It is, after all, indoctrination that brings them to this point. It's easy to accuse those on either side of the fence of being brainwashed, misinformed, or outright closed-minded, but as a species we will never grow that way. If it should be that if everyone is made to learn of the word of the Biblical God, so too should they learn the laws of the natural world, and see the evidence of sciences findings on our history. Let people decide for themselves, and regardless of their choice, they should respect that at least others made that choice based on their own experience and knowledge.

By all means, continue with your belief system. I encourage you to do so if it brings you and yours happiness, and harms no one in the process. Again, what I do think though, is that each and every one of us should be given the choice whether to follow your example, that of others, or find our own path. In the end, so long as we treat one another respectfully, and obey the laws (that stand to reason), it shouldn't matter whether someone reads an old book often, watches documentaries, or bathes in peanut butter under a full moon with a pinecone on their head.
edit on 22-4-2014 by ShiningBeneath because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao

oh yeah! lol!
what planet would that be on?

you know you are a human, right?

so if religions were banned, how long would you give it, to find out if it worked?

a week? a year? 10? 1 generation? 1000 yrs? don't care how long?

Who said anything about banning religion? The discussion is about keeping religion out of government and public policy, not on banning religion itself. Is that too difficult to understand?

It must be, since most religious people seem to think depriving them of power and control over everything equates to banning. If they are not allowed to enforce their beliefs on people, they are being "persecuted". Lol.

It says a lot about the nature of religion itself.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: maxzen2004
I dont agree with most of what OP says but star and flagged anyways because I dont agree with the PTBs ongoing agenda (imo) to irradicate Christianity.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Not teaching kids about religion in school is not teaching atheism. It's simply not teaching them religion. It is teaching them subject matter that is objective and universally important. Religion is not objective, nor is it important in terms of general knowledge. If you want your kids taught religion, that's what your church, synagogue, mosque, or temple is for. School is to teach your kids how to function in the world.

Do you not think learning about the different religions is important? Are they not an integral part of history and social studies? I believe they should be taught in a generalized and objective manner in order to help build a well rounded knowledge about cultures around the world and major movements. To leave that out is taking an extremist approach and actually serves to not ready our children for the world.

None of that says to teach about religion from a value standpoint - rather a historical and sociocultural standpoint - which in fact provides a more well rounded education.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
could someone please point me to the "Atheist Movement" I've seen quoted...Or maybe just an Atheist church...I'm intrigued and feeling very alone!

here is a youtube for one in LA, and and a link has a list of sunday assemblies at the bottom of the page.

It's all the best bits of church, but with no religion, and awesome pop songs!
sunday assembly.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

originally posted by: WanDash

Well - if you threw in the "illegalities" of the particular sect I was framed in...you could add quite a few more...with a couple of examples, being:
9. Women cannot wear pants, pant suits, pantaloons, koolots...
10. Women cannot wear makeup or jewelry (other than matrimonial rings)
11. Divorce is virtually the unforgivable sin
So - how would you like that bunch (and there are even multiple sects that are similar, with some being even more oppressive) deciding what goes and doesn't go in this society?

Yep. My point exactly. Like I said, I njust posted a short list, off the top of my head, of things I believe in that are illegal, prohibited, or banned in states that still run on religious dogma.

I was raised as an evangelical, and often was forced to attend church. One of which was a fundementalist baptist church that repeatedly tried to punish me and coerce my parents into destroying all my pants and forcing me to dress as a "godly" woman, as well as "behave like one". (Far from immodest, the jeans and sweaters that made up my wardrobe were plain and covered everything but my face and hands. My "unwomanly" behavior was my interest in chemistry and engineering and fascination with ripping up broken lawnmowers to see how they functioned). So yeah, I knew what religious tyranny was like within the privacy of my own home. Which is why I am determined to keep it in the home, and away from our courts and law books.

Thankfully, I live in a state where all of the above, plus much more, are legal and permitted. A live and let live attitude, when it comes to law and politics. And we even have guns, too.

how old were you when you moved out? did you pursue your dreams?

my first wife ran away when she was 16. she never told me what religion she was subjected to. just that she couldn't listen to radios or watch tv and had to wear little house on the prairie stuff. never ate shellfish or pork.
when her family came to visit, they didn't eat meat and her younger sisters dressed like amish women.
her parents liked my wines tho.

2 of her siblings committed suicide later.

she had a lot of problems but it was never clear to me, if they were all religion caused.
because she still believed in God and Jesus and wasn't overly focused on them or militantly against religions in general and she still cared for her family, not reject them.
her dad was a nutjob. lived in lala land, rest his soul. her mom had issues also, nice enough to me but also neither of them seemed religiously motivated.

for well adjusted people religion is no problem, they take it or leave it.

my current wife is chinese and a christian, her family is a mix of christian, taoist and buddhist.
not a problem at all. we observe all religious holidays. oy vey!!! so many.

if anyone is an atheist, i don't know about it and it wouldn't be a problem.

they sure wouldn't be a satanist, tho. but they do believe in evil spirits.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Here's a question for you...
Do all Satanists...believe...in Satan?

No. There are clearly Satanists who although they claim to BE Satanists, they claim to not believe in Satan or God. And I believe them. I have met some before. And I had not reason to think they were lying to me. That does not mean all Satanists don't believe in Satan. For I have known some who practice spiritism and openly declare they know who Satan and his demons are.

What is your definition of 'a Satanist'.

As for as I know there are two types. One that adhere to a form of religion that is basically mocking the Bible. They DON'T believe in the Bible or in God and Satan.

But some do. And I have come to see as some who were once apathetic and mocking, they swiftly turned into believers after becoming Satanists and having the misfortune of having direct contact with wicked spirit forces, that they didn't believe existed as much as they didn't believe in Jehovah God.

How about - 'every religion'?
I've seen pastors & lay persons duke it out...going to any & all lengths...to win.
Seen the clergy ignore blatant and outright abuses by their "2nd in Command"...because...he and his family gave the most money to the church.
I've seen Buddhist monks fight and kill one another...over "who's lineage" will continue.
We see Buddhists killing Muslims... Muslims killing Buddhists... Christians killing Muslims... Hindus killing Christians...
It is a VICIOUS circle...
We know that there are infightings among various segments of Islam...Judaism... Even the various shamanic lineages will vehemently disagree with (denounce) one another.

I agree with this statement with one exception. There is not doubt that almost all religions on earth get invovled with politics and war, and power struggles.

But I said "almost" for a reason. Jehovah's Witnesses are politically neutral. They have never been involved in any war. And they will not kill anyone. In fact, after World War I while all the Churches of Christendom were busy bloodying their hands in shedding humankind's blood, Jehovah's Witnesses refused to go to war and were busy declaring the arrival of God's kingdom.

In World War II, Jehovah's Witnesses, in country after country after country after country after country were banned and persecuted because they refused to go to war:

For example, in Germany, purebred Germans who were Jehovah's Witnesses refused to "heil Hitler" or support his political efforts. He had the support of all the other so-called Christian groups, who he played like a fiddle. But he could not get Jehovah's named people to capitulate to him. Therefore he persecuted them with a great ferocity. Claiming he would exterminate them from the face of the earth.

The largest group of people in the concentration camps after the Jews were Jehovah's Witnesses. And they were the only group of people who were offered a "get out of jail" card. All they had to do was sign a piece of paper denying their belief in Jehovah God and they could leave. Most preferred to die than turn their backs on Jehovah the true God, and kill their fellowman.

Meanwhile, in the United States, where people are supposedly free. The Supreme Court ruled that Jehovah's Witnesses could be expelled from schools everywhere for not saluting the flag. Afterwards a great persecution arose against them. They were thrown out of work, out of school. Flogged, tarred and feathered. Catholic mobs and Protestant mobs gathered all around the country to harass, destroy property of the Jehovah's Witnesses, tarred and feather them. Castrate them, and even hang and murder them.

This happened not only in Germany and the United States, but in Canada, in Great Britain, in Japan, and many many other countries.

So there is one group of true Christians who do not get involved in politics, who do not kill people, and who are hated because they reject pagan holidays, nationalist holidays, and are murdered because they show love. If you have ever heard of us, most likely you too hate us, or dislike us, most likely because of satanic propaganda and lies that he continues to spread about us, while he covers up what he does to God's people. You are no doubt probably quite ignorant of all these things. And especially of how the United States has treated this group of people, who are quite used to their "1st Amendment Rights" being abused and refused.

I could actually talk for hours on this subject but will stop now.

I appreciate your attempt to 'be fair' and objective...but...I wasn't even born, then.
Was raised in...honored by...sought after...and even elevated in position...for 49 years... before I 'stopped' believing in God (in the sense that is required for admission to Heaven after this life, within that dogma) ...AND...I did not 'stop believing' based on anything other than my own search for truth (regarding the foundations of my 'belief-system').

For me to address the remainder of your 'treatise', would likewise require that I address certain critical areas of your 'faith', and...I have no desire to do so. Do not wish to challenge the core of your belief/s.
For, I fear that 'the absence of belief' may be worse than 'believing a fairy tale'. And, while I am not confident my questions/answers/responses would do the same to you - I don't want to chance it...
Good Luck in your journeys.

I welcome all such honest-hearted dialogs.

My faith is an anchor sure. Not because I do not know anything. But because I have also studied, and have a firm basis for belief. And while faith cannot come without study or knowledge, it also needs God's blessing, for it is a fruitage of his holy spirit.

But I am happy to share it with you. And if God is willing he will even up your heart to understand truths beyond what you could understand at present.
edit on 22-4-2014 by iSomeone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

originally posted by: minkmouse
could someone please point me to the "Atheist Movement" I've seen quoted...Or maybe just an Atheist church...I'm intrigued and feeling very alone!

here is a youtube for one in LA, and and a link has a list of sunday assemblies at the bottom of the page.

It's all the best bits of church, but with no religion, and awesome pop songs!
sunday assembly.

And awesome pop songs? Sounds like Satan to me..
edit on 22-4-2014 by Tucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: okamitengu

Except when you remove God, you are teaching your atheism to MY kid. Oh, the humanity. See, I don't care about you, either, until you start teaching it to my kids.

Who agreed to make atheism the default?

Never once did I hear atheism mentioned in biology class, and that's where I learned about evolution in great detail. So I don't know where you got the idea that atheism would be plugged in the absence of god, but I'm not aware of that being likely.

you didn't hear about creationism either, i bet.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

oh yeah! lol!
what planet would that be on?

you know you are a human, right?

so if religions were banned, how long would you give it, to find out if it worked?

a week? a year? 10? 1 generation? 1000 yrs? don't care how long?

Who said anything about banning religion? The discussion is about keeping religion out of government and public policy, not on banning religion itself. Is that too difficult to understand?

It must be, since most religious people seem to think depriving them of power and control over everything equates to banning. If they are not allowed to enforce their beliefs on people, they are being "persecuted". Lol.

It says a lot about the nature of religion itself.

I chalk it up to good old fashioned obedience and listening to the word of their savior. No religion is interested in the religious freedom of others . . . they only include themselves when talking about freedoms and to them freedom means eliminating all other beliefs, if they could.

After all . . .
Matthew
12:30 "He who is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad."
12:31 "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."
edit on 4/22/14 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Not teaching kids about religion in school is not teaching atheism. It's simply not teaching them religion. It is teaching them subject matter that is objective and universally important. Religion is not objective, nor is it important in terms of general knowledge. If you want your kids taught religion, that's what your church, synagogue, mosque, or temple is for. School is to teach your kids how to function in the world.

Do you not think learning about the different religions is important? Are they not an integral part of history and social studies? I believe they should be taught in a generalized and objective manner in order to help build a well rounded knowledge about cultures around the world and major movements. To leave that out is taking an extremist approach and actually serves to not ready our children for the world.

None of that says to teach about religion from a value standpoint - rather a historical and sociocultural standpoint - which in fact provides a more well rounded education.

I'm with you on this point. I have no problem with schools offering classes which teach students about all world cultures and their corresponding beliefs. If children grew up with an accurate portrayal of ancient and modern beliefs and why those cultures hold those beliefs, I feel we would have a lot fewer problems in the world.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Why? Because i see all the problems "God" creates.

I was raised in a fundamental Christian home....

Cutting your quote down, not because this was the only important part, but...for brevity's sake.
Seems we were in the same boat.
Sorry for the problems it afforded you! Then again - I hope you're stronger (more self-assured, or, at least, more aware of your own ability/responsibility to deal with Life) as a result.
I put my children through the same that you went through... Didn't come to my own realization 'til they were all (less one) 'out of the house'.
I made my 'questions' public on a public forum...and...when my 'questions' were directed toward my father (note that I was almost 52 years old at the time), he responded that...I wasn't beaten enough (specifically - "then, you must have deserved a lot more" [punishment], and it's my fault for not giving it to you)... though...he was a "GREAT" punisher.
Anyway - - - 'have faith!' (
) - - - I'm still hoping for a "happily ever after" ending...too!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: solomons path

originally posted by: solomons path

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: beezzer
The first amendment simply states that government will not establish a state religion.

I haven't seen anyone from government saying to believe one way specifically.

Unless you're talking about the cult of government, that is.

But having "god" in publicly-funded schools is a form of endorsement for a religion. If it said "under a god" or "under divinity" or something non-specific, that might be a bit better but atheists might still have a problem with it.

Personally, it doesn't bother me but I totally get why it bothers others.

I don't know why faith has so many so bothered, honestly.

If you don't want to believe a certain way, then don't.

But I disagree when people TELL me what I should believe, or not.

Nobody is telling you what to believe . . . they are saying . . . Keep it to yourself and keep it out of government. A government that was not founded for or by your god. Unfortunately, the JudeoIslamiChristians can't separate the two and why they've been F'n up the world the its advancement for few millenia.

wow! so you mean that without religion, i would be star trekking around the galaxy? beaming down and hanging with orion slave girls?

no wars at all? no hunger? no illness?

i'd have my flying car at least.

i think bigoted views should be kept to oneself.

Maybe not all that . . . but we would probably be at least 1000 yrs along further in knowledge, if knowledge of the natural world wasn't a sin punishable by inquisition for hundreds of years . . . However, we'll never know.

Bigoted? Are you denying the Church's position for over a millennium on exploring knowledge outside of Biblical mythology?

like mendel and his peas?

Belgium monks and their beer?

the big bang theory?

davinci and his works.

nostradamus and his work with the plague.

the renaissance in general.

yeah, i am denying it. you have no more proof than what history tells you.

the only educated people were religious. the rest were knaves and serfs. lol!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

That was awesome...Who would even think such a place existed. Too much like church for me but interesting nonetheless. Funny....I can see a religion forming because I disagree with the "One shot at life" idea so right off there's gonna be two differing factions here LOL

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

I left home the day after I graduated from high school. I was 18. Went into the army, did 4 years, got out. Was the most awesome experience of my life. I went on to enjoy and experience a number of wonderful things, and discover much that was amazing. Once I was away from the religious tyranny of home, only then was I free to pursue what I wanted to do in life. Not only that, but I became well adjusted after I abandoned religion and distanced myself from the overly religious. I finally learned what true freedom was.

Like I said before, I do not care if people want to believe or practice their religious beliefs. I do care when religion wants to try and push its system on the whole of society, and deprive others of the right to live their lives and take advantage of the same opportunities as everyone else. If religious people would keep their doctrines within their own churches and private institutions, I'd not have as big a problem with them. However, they do not.

The only reason I was able to pursue my dreams and live my own life after I turned 18 was because we live in a system of law that is based on secular and rational concepts. If the religious types were allowed to legislate their beliefs over everyone else, I'd have never been able to flee the oppressive dogma of my youth, since it would have extended beyond my front door, and I'd have no escape.

Plus, during my time in the military, I got the chance to live in a country, Saudi Arabia, where their religious doctrines are the law, and people are forced to live under it, or be punished. It was not a pleasant experience. Upon coming home, I lived in towns where Christians actively harassed, persecuted, and attacked people who were Wiccans or Neo Pagans, and the local cops/city council/county governments not only allowed it, but encouraged it, even passed local ordinances that discriminated against anyone not Christian.

After seeing what religion coupled with politics can due, I feel it is extremely important to enforce the seperation of the two. Or else society becomes an ugly place.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

" Its vague but most people do believe in a higher being."

A higher power? Oh yes. Lightning, tornados, earthquakes, oceans, fires, etc. 95% of this world is a higher power because we have to borrow from the elements to stand a chance against them. They are not gods, they are products of chemistry which is a product of physics. Nothing to worship or bow down to, but certainly something to respect. Stuff that can easily wipe us out in our most natural state. Does that qualify as a "higher power"?

ever been to AA? how many atheists there? do they go?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX...I imagine if he (Christ/Jesus) came back tomorrow, he would be embarrassed at what Christianity has done to his lessons.

They'd probably crucify him/(for the sake of civility - "Him")...on the spot!
Nice - very nice...thoughts & post!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

? How many children with Atheist parents find faith in God?

I am a non believer. My woman is a believer. My children go to church with her. When they get a little older I will explain my stance on religion, but for now I am fine with the way we all are.

We don't argue about it, we know where each of us stands.

Why does my stance on religion bother you so much? Why can you not live your life and let people live theirs?

Atheists get all the blame, "we push our views on others", this is the most double standard rhetoric that gets thrown around by the believers in faith.

Maybe, just maybe that some people would like to live their life, free to make their own choices, without being reminded that we are wrong, going to hell, need to pray, being blamed for the doings of others, and so on. It has taken many years of maturity for me to understand where and why people such as yourself come from.

And the answer that I have come up with is fear. Fear of the unknown. I choose to live my life not in fear of what may or may not happen when I die, i'll be dead.

So please live your life, and i'll live mine.

And please stop blaming me for everything, it is not my fault the world doen't operate the way YOU THINK it should.

Thank you.

edit on 22-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

They'd probably crucify him/(for the sake of civility - "Him")...on the spot!
Nice - very nice...thoughts & post!

I remember someone posted a joke Fox News headline on facebook once. It was a clip from the Passion of the Christ. The headline banner said: "Socialist hippie executed in Israel for treason".

You are probably more correct than you realize.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Atheists are as religious as the Pope. Fact is you do not KNOW. Let that sink in for a minute. If you have a valid argument, I would be interested in hearing it.
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join