It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transcendence....a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
To be honest "Transcendence" was just an updated version of "Lawnmower Man".... however I enjoyed it and my date hated it.
I thought the acting was good, the cinematography was superb, the direction was terrible and if the stars were anyone other than Depp and Hall the film would have been a total flop, great CGI, decent story/script. I probably would have avoided this film from reading the scathing reviews but a lot of my friends were in this film as background and day players and I wanted to see them. I auditioned but didn't get a part. Mostly filmed here in Tamalewood.

out of 5.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thanks for this, olaru. This is one of the movies that my fiance and I have been contemplating seeing in the theater. Now we get to argue about whether it's "worth" seeing in the theater or not, lol.

edit on 22/4/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Hey since you mentioned that you did and know people who do extra work sometimes, is there a legit way to get into the extra / movie thing without the scam sites? I'm in so cal and can't seem to find places to search other then clist. Thanks

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thisbseth
Hey since you mentioned that you did and know people who do extra work sometimes, is there a legit way to get into the extra / movie thing without the scam sites? I'm in so cal and can't seem to find places to search other then clist. Thanks

In Cal, background extras are Union. SAG/AFTRA, call the union office and they will tell you the legitimate casting agents to contact. Youtube also has a wealth of information. Best of luck....

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I thought of Lawnmower Man while watching the previews. Still, I'm curious, but will likely wait till it hits red box or on demand at home. With a killer sound system and really large TV at home, takes a lot to get me to the theater these days, like an epic movie, or something better seen with a large audience.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
I thought of Lawnmower Man while watching the previews. Still, I'm curious, but will likely wait till it hits red box or on demand at home. With a killer sound system and really large TV at home, takes a lot to get me to the theater these days, like an epic movie, or something better seen with a large audience.

Yeah, that's how I view theater going as well. It's got to be something that absolutely demands a big movie screen for me to spend the minor fortune it is to go see a movie and buy popcorn and drinks these days. Maybe I'm just getting cheap in my "old age", but I can buy a nice dinner for two at the same cost as going to the movies. That's kind of stupid.

Redbox for us here as well on this one.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

There are perks to being an actor in SAG/AFTRA, we have fantastic parties, a wonderful community of supportive thespians also in the union, a great health and retirement plan and free movies at most movie houses; when I'm not on set either as cast or crew, I go to the movies every day.

I know that really doesn't qualify me as a reviewer but this forum is the way I get others opinions.

edit on 26-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Nice though that also means the possibility of watching movies that you have no interest in, lol. I love movies. Have a collection of about 600+ dvds here, lol (probably more since I have acquired more since last count 5 years ago lol). I imagine that "Hollywood" must be in a bit of a tough spot these days just the on the movie fare that has been coming out over the last few years. You've got a pickier public that will "wait" (like Gazrok and I) to see a movie through a cheaper venue but still has the same quality demands. A lot of what has come out over the last few years seems to be pretty staid stuff like former "sure bets". Sad to say, most of the movies that we've really enjoyed here over the last few years have come from either Asia or are indy films. Just about everything coming out state-side has been misses with us, unfortunately. My fiance said that the last one he really enjoyed was "The Avengers". I'd say "Elysium" was pretty good.

This year seems to have a plethora of interesting films coming out so I have my fingers crossed. Alas, "Transcendence" was one of them but I've not given up yet on Hollywood. A lot of what has put me off over the last few years, to be dreadfully honest, is either a tone of seeming propaganda or being overly preachy.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Started great. Ended badly.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I've heard that it is just terrible... seems good to start and then just gets stupid.
I don't usually go by reviews but the universal hate and panning of this movie has made me avoid it, even though it sounds interesting.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Started great. Ended badly.

Yep, I loved the beginning of the movie, but I got disappointed as it went on........the ending doesn't even make sense, really.

top topics

join