It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spontaneous Combustion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ever hear of this???

If you haven't than I will give you a definition. That definition goes as follows:

"Spontaneous combustion can be called an ignition of the internal compounds of the area inflamed."

In other words it is a chemical produced ignition. That ignition has been known to occur in humans.

Believe it or not there are 93 documented cases human spontaneous combustion. I got this info from a program on A.E. or the Discovery Channel or something like that.

If one were to see some of the pictures that were produced at the scene of the incidents than one would be completely convinced that the victim had been blown apart from the insides.

I don't remember hearing too much of a credible reasoning for such occurences. I was wondering what everyone else thought about this phenomenom, and if anyone might have any extra info of this paranormal experience.

Abraham

[Edited on 26-5-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I saw it debunked.
Basically someone would be knocked out some how and they caught themselves on fire, with layered clothing on. it'd burn them slowly like a candle because of their body fat, it'd destroy the body turning th bones into powder.

Discovery had a show on it, they burned a pig over something like a 10 hour period.
Considering we are mainly made up of water I would think Discovery Channel was correct.

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Also they showed how nothing else would be damaged in the room, and a tv might've been melted from intense heat, believers would say it was from the body exploding but they set up a room and showed it melting and looking like an exploding body...

however if a body truly exploded wouldn't there be MEAT CHUNKS every where?

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 11:13 PM
link   
if it was a true combustion why would there be legs left ?

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It is not possible to spontaneously combust. We may have the gasses in our body for it to happen, but we do not have any thing in the body to ignite the gasses.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I've seen people at the beach feed the seagulls Alka-Seltzer and they literally blow up, pretty disgusting.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I have seen pictures from a documentry, and the scene clearly shows a body that has exploded from within. I will try and find some sources.

Abraham

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Here's an interesting site AV :

www.crystalinks.com...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   
i've seen pictures too it's a slow roasted human corpse

if one was to explode
there would be mushy gunk every where not charred flesh.

Just deny the fact we mostly made up of water.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This is one of those that refuses to go away: there's a good account (actually a book-review) here of claims regarding spontaneous human combustion.
www.csicop.org...

( it's an untidy site; but there are a few goodies here)

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Here's an interesting site AV :

www.crystalinks.com...

I have been trying to find a link that has the pictures I saw. Those pictures would shut Lysergic up. No offense LYSERG.

You just haven't seen yet. Hopefully I and someone else can provide you with the source. I know that the pictures I saw would confirm this occurence in your belief system. These pictures show blood splatter. The blood splatter shows that there was force, not to mention livers are often found hanging on the chairs across the room all burnt and crisp.

Believe me, this stuff is real.

Abraham

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This is a subject that has always interested me since I was a boy and realised,while reading a book,that I had been born in a house two doors down from one of Britains recorded cases.It occured in a village called Buttlocks Heath just outside Southampton.After a quick look I have failed to find the photos of that incident but I'll continue to look and post one up when I find it.Theories that it may be connected to lay lines obviously kept my interest alive.

I have to say,however,that a number of years ago I watched a TV program which explained(though not conclusively)Spontanious Human Combustion.The explanation was called "The Wick Effect" and to prove it was viable an experiment were done on a pig(which has a similar body mass to Humans)layed on a bed.Once the body or clothing was ignited it was shown that the fat in the body acted exactly the same way as a candle.

This site expains better than I can "The Wick Effect".

www.askmen.com...

The heat was intense enough to destoy bones and pictures of the post-experiment showed the exact same effect of seemingly untouched areas next to cinders.Hands and feet,which have less fat and could lie over a metre from the fuel mass would appear untouched.

As you will of read from the site Gasolene was used to ignite the blanket the pig was wrapped in and the TV program turned it's attention to how the fire could of started.Perfumes,Aftershave,Man-made fibres,sparks from nearby open fires,magnified sunlight all could be factors in different cases even cigarettes could have caused some(the intense heat destroying any evidence)

Anyway,Some may persuaded by this others never will.I wanted to believe and for along time(with no contrary evidence) I did but I was persuaded by the evidence.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It's Butlock with one "T"., I think and that may help you searching.
It was a couple called Kiley and happened Feb 26th 1905.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   
But I think the real issue here is distinguishing between the possible effects of some external agent such as petrol, paraffin, oil from a lamp, upholstery foam; and the "paranormal" claims which tend to insist upon some sort of "internal" force or energy.
As I say, my earlier link ahs a review of this sort of approach.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 03:04 AM
link   
If you light the pig on fire, then he isnt spontaneously combusting. You are lighting him on fire. I was watching the mtv show about myths and they say if some of the many myths are true or not. Well they interviewed some scientist about spontaneous combutsion and he said it is impossible.

How is your body going to ignite the gassess in your body? If someone else lights the person on fire and they explode than it is not spontaneous combustion.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Quite so, I-love-p, unless one invokes some "mysterious" forces since, by definition, scientists cannot question them.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
Quite so, I-love-p,

Yes here in New Zealand the Cops are doing thier best to crack down on the use of this abhorrent drug.
Seems to be alot of Kiwis that love p as well.

Any way watch yourself Estragon that drug kills people.
Get help now.

Anyway to AV I'm with JB and Lysergic, I seen the Doco and the pictures. Still the Wick effect is the best explanation of this phenomena. Some of the cases the victims are smokers.

Did anyone see the CSI cant remember if it was the miami one or not. But a guy was siphoning high octane petrol, accidentlly sucking to hard and swollowing some. Later in the day his cell phone rings, he answers it and a static shock from the phone causes the fumes in his throat from the petrol to ignite. Very nasty. Cell phones kill, it true.

[Edited on 26-5-2003 by Maddas]

[Edited on 26-5-2003 by Maddas]

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
people shoudn't try to light their farts.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Found some interesting info on this subject.

Many contend that Spontaneous Human Combustion is first documented in such early texts as the Bible, but, scientifically speaking, these accounts are too old and secondhand to be seen as reliable evidence. The first reliable historic evidence of SHC appears to be from the year 1763, when Frenchman Jonas Dupont published a collection of SHC cases and studies entitled De Incendiis Corporis Humani Spontaneis. Dupont was inspired to write this book after encountering records of the Nicole Millet case, in which a man was acquitted of the murder of his wife when the court was convinced that she had been killed by spontaneous combustion. Dupont's book on this strange subject brought it out of the realm of folkloric rumor and into the popular public imagination.
Continuing belief in SHC in the 1800's is evidenced in the number of writers that called on it for a dramatic death scene. Most of these authors were hacks that worked on the 19th century equivalent of comic books, "penny dreadfuls", so no one got too worked up about it; but two big names in the literary world also used SHC as a dramatic device, and one did cause a stir. The first of these two authors was Captain Marryat who, in his novel Jacob Faithful, borrowed details from a report in the Times of London of 1832 to describe the death of his lead character's mother, who is reduced to "a sort of unctuous pitchey cinder."
anomalyinfo.com...

I think considering that the body uses electricty to function that is all that may be needed to "spark" a reaction. Even with a jolt of some static electricty could maybe trigger an event. Maybe some sort of cosmic ray just happend to be pointing thru space and hit the person that burned. The site I linked to says this:

Despite the mass media's tendency to characterize Spontaneous Human Combustion as "a person who bursts into flames," SHC actually describes a large group of occurences that has distinct types and variations. This fact is important because while some types of the phenomena may have been explained, others definitely have not. Here are the groupings that I percieve these cases breaking into:

Type 1: Fatal Cases
Sub-type 1: Classic Burnings
Sub-type 2: Witnessed Combustions
Sub-type 3: Selective Burnings
Type 2: Non-Fatal Cases
Sub-type 1: Mysterious Flames
Sub-type 2: Mysterious Burns
Sub-type 3: Mysterious Smoke

Here are some pics.......Some show parts of people, so dont go clicking then chewin me out if it disturbs you. You are being warned!

This old man (92 year old DR John Bently) almost made it to the toilet!
www.theedgeam.com...
Link to the above

A nice set of legs!
www.lifeadventures.com...
Legs page

Hard to make out:

theshadowlands.net...

This shows a half burnt guy but the page is about SHC but the page is in jibberish since the lang. pack wont install...oh well here is the link to it:
icerain.myrice.com...

Another link

Human Torch - The wick effect

This one has some good burn pics

I thought I was burnt out

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Quite disgusting actually!

I am a bit skeptical though... I personally don't believe it is that spontaneous. There must be some element igniting the fire, and that element must be found! I'm sure that thourough investigations of those cases could have brought better understanding of how and why the fire started.

But now... You never know.

Is that what some call a hot person?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join