It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stem cells created (cloned) from adult cells for the first time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

A quality sword requires toughness on the inside and hardness on the outside. That way it can keep a sharp edge yet bend instead of shatter. Getting these properties requires blanking the metal back to a virgin state, adding the right molecular alloying ingredients, and then controlling the rate of the natural processes that occur as its final structure crystallizes out. Using that general method, researchers have just succeeded in returning adult somatic (body) cells to a virgin stem cell state which can then be made into nearly any tissue.

Stem cells created (cloned) from adult cells for the first time

Personally i'm all for the medical advancements and cures this type of technology could bring to humanity if it is allowed to be taken to its logical conclusion, as long as it's available to the masses and not just the super rich.

Just wondering what my fellow ATS members opinions are regarding the subject?

edit on 22-4-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

This is awesome .. now if only they can figure out how to grow new teeth in adults ..
the dentists really do suck!
Stem Cell Research is one of the medical advances that should be given full unrestricted funding ..

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Im not sure how i feel about this. Couple your article with this.....

“What’s exciting about this approach is that we can actually correct a defective gene in a living adult animal,” study leader Daniel Anderson said in a statement.

RT

Gives me the vibe that we are closer to the cure for all disease that i previously thought.

Something tells me that we may be seeing the rise of genetically modified solders in a few years.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: junglimogli

This is awesome .. now if only they can figure out how to grow new teeth in adults ..

Stem Cell Research is one of the medical advances that should be given full unrestricted funding ..

I am completely on the other side of the fence here! Playing god will not turn out well for us! We have no clue how to create things like this out of thin air, we just assume everything will turn out fine and it won't! God's work is for him and him alone! We can find cures to things with our technology without having to do this kind of thing. People/Scientists just seem more interested in cloning and stem cell research rather than using the things God put here for us to find cures to anything and everything! We seem, as a species, to try and find the easiest way out of everything.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Have we not been playing God since the inception of modern day medicine, how is this any different?

How is growing a new heart, limb or any other body part for that matter any different from transplanting them?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

I am completely on the other side of the fence here! Playing god will not turn out well for us! We have no clue how to create things like this out of thin air, we just assume everything will turn out fine and it won't! God's work is for him and him alone! We can find cures to things with our technology without having to do this kind of thing. People/Scientists just seem more interested in cloning and stem cell research rather than using the things God put here for us to find cures to anything and everything! We seem, as a species, to try and find the easiest way out of everything.

I absolutely agree about the growing teeth/dentist comment.

From the documentary I viewed, they still have a very long road ahead of them, but this research may usher in a future free of incurable diseases and DNA generational mutations, as well as reverting back to a younger state of physical being. One would think the funding would be flowing like a tsunami just for the 'fountain of youth' uses alone.

As for searching for cures using the things God put here for us, why dismiss unlocking the knowledge of using stem cells as something God did not put here?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I could have sworn I had read something recently that said that this guy couldn't reproduce the experiment when others got involved...?

Found it... If this is the same, it's been posted a few times already.

ATS Post
ATS Post

More:

This was in the link you provided in the OP

An alternative method for creating stem cells was recently presented which used acid and mechanical persuasion to beat normal cells back into the pluripotent form. This method has been difficult to replicate, and as a result of the controversy surrounding the affair the study has been retracted. That’s not to say that this shortcut is off the table though. Researchers continue to look for better ways to produce stem cells with more creative power, from cells that are ever further set in their ways. The new studies reported here were able to use dermal fibroblasts, essentially skin cells, from both a 35-year-old and 75-year-old man. Previously skin cells have been turned into other kinds of cells, particularly neurons. Now they can become any kind of cell.

edit on 22-4-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It would be great to see advancements like this begin to get rid of things like diabetes. I don't think that big-pharma would allow that though...

Instead, diabetics have to use the genetically modified inferior A+B chain insulin that lacks the C peptide chain and is the cause of the complications of long-standing diabetes...even if it is kept in "tight" control.

All I can say is that I hope it can be used to cure things that big-pharma is not even treating adequately. I fear that will not happen, because the ongoing influx of money is not there with cures...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
One would think the funding would be flowing like a tsunami just for the 'fountain of youth' uses alone.

What and cut in to the medical industry's multi-billion dollar a year profit margin....NO WAY!

If there is anything to this, humankind wont see any benefit from it.

Heal everyone and there is no profit to be had.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

I suppose it could create one hell of a population problem especially if the technology also increases longevity. But then again more people more ideas on how to get off this rock and onwards to the next star.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta

One would think the funding would be flowing like a tsunami just for the 'fountain of youth' uses alone.

What and cut in to the medical industry's multi-billion dollar a year profit margin....NO WAY!

If there is anything to this, humankind wont see any benefit from it.

Heal everyone and there is no profit to be had.

It's really the pharma industry that makes those hugh profits, but that's raises a good question. What then becomes of the medical doctors and other related jobs if humankind becomes physically and mentally healthy and well? Will there be a shift to providing emotional, philosophical and spiritual doctoring?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

If Humanity(as a race) were to become physically and mentally healthy we could apply ourselves to other areas of technology and advance our spirituality to match our tech level. I know it sounds all love dove but I would not mind the chances and opportunities it could create.

Then again chance would be a fine thing.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I absolutely agree about the growing teeth/dentist comment.

From the documentary I viewed, they still have a very long road ahead of them, but this research may usher in a future free of incurable diseases and DNA generational mutations, as well as reverting back to a younger state of physical being. One would think the funding would be flowing like a tsunami just for the 'fountain of youth' uses alone.

As for searching for cures using the things God put here for us, why dismiss unlocking the knowledge of using stem cells as something God did not put here?

Make no mistake, We humans are unique for our healing abilities.
And that is exactly why other species are here abducting us.
To extract those genetic code once activated. Right now they are sealed, and have been sealed since pre biblical times.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 22-4-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

You have to remember (unless you're a diehard Creationist) that if you use the logic that God created us, then God would have needed to create this very universe itself. Nothing in our universe comes from nothing, it's all transmutations of something else. Even the Big Bang, which is thought of as the only example of something from nothing, is now being challenged by ideas like the Big Bounce/Big Crunch ideas (I use the forward slash because the Big Crunch isn't usually applicable without looking at the Big Crunch -> Big Bounce -> Big Bang theory combined).

Putting that aside, if we are made in God's image and likeness, why can't we as well create things? Were we not given free will and domain over this planet, of which we have used to do these things?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

So you're against this, why? You claim that you're non-existent God put cures on this planet for everything, we just have to find it, but when we go looking and find it, it's "playing God". Make your mind up.

And how is this the "easiest way out"? If it was, we'd have had it licked by now .

a reply to: StallionDuck

It isn't the same - not even close.

But at least people are looking

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kroovistos

The Big Bang is not thought of as "something from nothing", just thought I'd interject and it is the leading theory out there by miles and miles - there is empirical data for it, not least the CMB.

top topics

join