It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shanghai Gives Police Guns As Fears Over Violence Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

SHANGHAI—New on the streets of a Chinese city that often pilots reforms: police officers armed with guns.

Shanghai's Public Security Bureau said last weekend that more than 1,000 street-patrol officers are now certified to carry 9mm revolvers, a marked change in policy.

The decision by the city to distribute firearms to cops on beat patrol for the first time in six decades illustrates public and official perceptions that violence from crime and terrorism are growing in China's expanding urban areas.

In light of the recent Posse Comitatus thread (ATS Thread) regarding the beating of four (4) Chengguan police inspectors in the Zheijang Province it appears that Shanghai is responding to increased violence. The articles suggest that it's due to the March 1st knife attacks.

However, the increased violence toward police/government in China as well as protests/riots goes back further than March 1st. Please note that Zheijang Province is just south of Shanghai, being in the adjacent province.

Citizens can't be allowed to defend themselves or challenge the government, at least not in China!

Here is the link to the WSJ Blog referencing the another WSJ news article:
WSJ Blog

Also, this same news is available from:
Huffington Post
...and...
NY Times (a small blurb)

I anticipate growing escalations of violence now that the average police have firepower. You may also see one, several, or a group of people stepping up to lead a revolution or a call for change(s) in China.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
One thing for sure I see a lot of bloodshed on the horizon. More power to the people I say, what they did the other day had to be done to set a precedence, let them know enough is enough. But this is only the start of something I feel is much bigger and will spiral into the realm of the unknown.... What a crappy overall situation over there, imagine having to live like that everyday. Us here in the us have our dirty cops and such but this is just in your face corrupt.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

This is a true case of arming the criminals.

The police are the problem and they get the guns?

WoW!

Peace

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

No. To "a group of people stepping up to lead a revolution or call for change(s) in China."

If anything, the government in China is continually making small improvements for the Chinese people. (Compare the 1950s to 2014 where now high government officials are being clamped down on for corruption) Regardless of the events that happened in Wenzhou, almost all people in China don't care much for the Chengguan, however, they are not your typical police officer. The police in Shanghai that carry guns are not Chengguan. They act and are perceived very differently and have a different role in society.
I should add that as China sends hoards its own citizens abroad for education and they never want to come back to China because of how much it sucks comparatively. And in addition are constantly losing their rich citizens to other Western developed nations it is in their best interest to improve as quickly as possible. In this way, the USA and China are actually trading places. USA becoming gradually less free and China slowly becoming more free because of demanded change from society collectively.

However, China does blatantly lie in its own news to its people. (Still improving in many cases, though I'm about to show an example that shows the contrary) Here is the report of the incident from a Chinese new source in English: Here There are quite some differences in the stories. In fact, I originally posted an article in the other thread that actually stated the article you read in the West, now that same story has been changed.
edit on 22-4-2014 by Ouroboros21 because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Well giving them Guns sure seems to work in America.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The sense I get is that there is only a small thin line between the Chinese people getting out of control....and the Governments reign on hearts and minds......it is only with the submissiveness of the populace that the leaders and police ultimately derive authority.
With the government being so massively outnumbered.....would it make much difference if the people were armed or not....
The entire earth paradigme seems to be undergoing vast internal changes....that though subtle at first....seem to be now manifesting in ripple effect all over earth.......
From Shanghai to Shawinnegan or Shrilanka.....People are seening through the giant scam that our mony lenders have created.....
It is well that those in power fear for their world....because we then begin to understand how rapidly it is passing away........

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I wouldn't hand guns to a bunch of NooBs unless they went through some sort of firearms training.

The vast majority weren't raised in a firearms culture, just asking for trouble.

Good luck Chinese Citizen
edit on 22-4-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I suppose after a few Chinese police shoot off a few legs, feet, and toes, they'll get tha hang of it.
"Hey 'one leg' Chen: Here, type this report up for me while i am out on patrol..."

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: WCmutant

SHANGHAI—New on the streets of a Chinese city that often pilots reforms: police officers armed with guns.

Shanghai's Public Security Bureau said last weekend that more than 1,000 street-patrol officers are now certified to carry 9mm revolvers, a marked change in policy.

Citizens can't be allowed to defend themselves or challenge the government, at least not in China!

Here is the link to the WSJ Blog referencing the another WSJ news article:
WSJ Blog

Also, this same news is available from:
Huffington Post
...and...
NY Times (a small blurb)

I anticipate growing escalations of violence now that the average police have firepower. You may also see one, several, or a group of people stepping up to lead a revolution or a call for change(s) in China.

China is among the worst in the world for allowing citizens to defend themselves with guns.

Also 9mm revolvers? Is the author of the article on crack?
You can't get revolvers in 9mm for the most part. Unless they are sourcing some obscure, older guns from the US that is

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: WatchRider
Also 9mm revolvers? Is the author of the article on crack?
You can't get revolvers in 9mm for the most part. Unless they are sourcing some obscure, older guns from the US that is

They're out there. You just don't see one if you're not looking for one.

9mm Revolvers

Wanted to add as a caveat. Could these be a Norinco-esque copy and re-chambered? Sort of like their Rem870 and AK74 clones?
edit on 26-4-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
I wouldn't hand guns to a bunch of NooBs unless they went through some sort of firearms training.

The vast majority weren't raised in a firearms culture, just asking for trouble.

Good luck Chinese Citizen

they said they will have months of training.

top topics

join