It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Epitomizes Why Abortion Is Wrong !

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

There's no way you can twist it, an 8 week, 12, week even 20 week fetus isn't conscious.

con•scious•ness (ˈkɒn ʃəs nɪs)

n.
1. the state of being conscious; awareness.
2. the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people.
3. full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness.
4. awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
5. concern, interest, or awareness: class consciousness.
6. the mental activity of which a person is aware, contrasted with unconscious thought.
7. Philos. the mind or the mental faculties, characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.

Fetuses begin to develop a minimal brain stem at 7 weeks, but are not capable of consciousness until the third trimester and most likely remain unconscious until birth. As one brain scientist puts it: "the fetus and neonate appears incapable of ... experiencing or generating 'true' emotion or any semblance of higher order, forebrain mediated cognitive activity."

Fetal nerve cells can react to trauma, but pain reception requires a neocortex--which is not formed until early in the third trimester.

civilliberty.about.com.../XJ&zTi=1&sdn=civilliberty&cdn=newsissues&tm=212&f=20&tt=3&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//brainmind.com/FetalBrainD evelopment.html

edit on 25-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Are you conscious while asleep? No. That's the closest thing a baby is in the womb, they are asleep and don't "wake up" until birth. I'm not even so sure they can be considered to be asleep either because that implies consciousness before falling asleep.

Fetuses are not conscious, the idea is ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Fetal nerve cells can react to trauma, but pain reception requires a neocortex--which is not formed until early in the third trimester.

Then why are these kids given pain medication? Is this just an 'in case we're wrong' kind of thing?

Nickolas Coke suffered from a rare condition known as anencephaly, meaning he was born with only a brain stem.
While most children with this condition die shortly after their birth, Nickolas far exceeded that sentence.

Surviving on little else than pain medication, Nickolas lived what his family called an incredible life.
'He was never hooked up to any machines, no tubes, no nothing,' Sherri Kohut, Nickolas’s grandmother, told KOAA in Colorado.

Source

And by the way, what do YOU call a kid without a brain? A post-parasite? A collection of organs and bones?
edit on b20144America/Chicago75 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Was his life really worth living though? He had no experience, he was just a vegetable for the 3 years he was "alive". I'm not sure why he was given pain medication though because a neocortex IS required to experience pain.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

There's no way you can twist it, an 8 week, 12, week even 20 week fetus isn't conscious.

con•scious•ness (ˈkɒn ʃəs nɪs)

n.
1. the state of being conscious; awareness.
2. the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people.
3. full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness.
4. awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
5. concern, interest, or awareness: class consciousness.
6. the mental activity of which a person is aware, contrasted with unconscious thought.
7. Philos. the mind or the mental faculties, characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.

Fetuses begin to develop a minimal brain stem at 7 weeks, but are not capable of consciousness until the third trimester and most likely remain unconscious until birth. As one brain scientist puts it: "the fetus and neonate appears incapable of ... experiencing or generating 'true' emotion or any semblance of higher order, forebrain mediated cognitive activity."

civilliberty.about.com.../XJ&zTi=1&sdn=civilliberty&cdn=newsissues&tm=212&f=20&tt=3&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//brainmind.com/FetalBrainD evelopment.html

Oh please.

You didn't even look at the link or the quote. Awareness of the other twin. And interacts with it.

Go challenge the findings of those scientists and send them an email to tell them where they got it wrong.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

First, who are we to determine whether or not his life was worth living?

Second, and not that I agree with your assessment here, but what makes us more special than vegetables?
(just taking a page from your book btw)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Indy, again you are all over the place!

After about 24-26 weeks fetus' begin to develop sensory perception. Not many abortions are performed at that point, and the ones that are are done so, usually because of extreme fetal deformities.

No abortions performed during the first and second trimester cause pain to the fetus. No fetuses at that age are awake and aware.

After viability abortions are only performed to save the mother's life or to terminate a fetus destined to a life of misery and pain.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Are you conscious while asleep? No. That's the closest thing a baby is in the womb, they are asleep and don't "wake up" until birth. I'm not even so sure they can be considered to be asleep either because that implies consciousness before falling asleep.

Fetuses are not conscious, the idea is ridiculous.

Keep on thinking that, whatever gets you through the night.

Here is from WebMd Babies think and dream in the womb.

“The main message for new moms is that their babies are listening and learning and remembering during the last stages of pregnancy. Their brains do not wait for birth to start absorbing information,” says study author Patricia K. Kuhl, PhD. She is the Bezos Family Foundation endowed chair in early childhood learning and a professor of speech and hearing sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Is that pseudo-science from a pro-life site? No and no.

Penn State on the subject

Notes Gilmore, hearing is one of the first senses to develop. As early as 16 weeks gestation, a developing fetus begins to perceive the world outside the womb through his or her fluid-filled ears. However, a sound-dampening barrier of embryonic fluid and abdominal tissue restricts audible input. "The sound a fetus hears in the womb is highly muffled, consisting mostly of low frequencies," says Gilmore. "Inside the womb, people's voices sound like Charlie Brown's teacher, sort of like a muted trumpet. However, there is a lot of information in that filtered and muted sound stream."

Let's see if he is a pro-lifer who uses pseudo-science...

Rick O. Gilmore, Ph.D., associate professor of psychology, directs the Brain Development and Cognition Laboratory and is acting director of the Social & Life Sciences Imaging Center at Penn State. He can be reached at rogilmore@psu.edu.

There is his email address, send him over an email to inform him of your findings.

Perceive

perceiveVariation
Houghton Mifflin
tr.v.

To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing.
To achieve understanding of; apprehend.

Well now, they are aware, aren't they?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Indy, again you are all over the place!

After about 24-26 weeks fetus' begin to develop sensory perception. Not many abortions are performed at that point, and the ones that are are done so, usually because of extreme fetal deformities.

No abortions performed during the first and second trimester cause pain to the fetus. No fetuses at that age are awake and aware.

After viability abortions are only performed to save the mother's life or to terminate a fetus destined to a life of misery and pain.

You are the one who says it is not a person until it breathes. I gave you the most neutral of scientists who did the research, perhaps you should email them?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

A fertilized egg isn't aware. An 8 week old fetus isn't aware. A 20 week old fetus isn't aware.

You keep referring to late into the pregnancy and into the 3rd trimester, after viability when abortions are NOT performed on demand.

I really don't understand what you're driving at. Do you think a woman should die in child birth instead? Do you think we should force a woman to give birth to a brainless child?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

You are the one who says it is not a person until it breathes.

Yep. And I showed you the legal definition that supports my statement. That's the reason why the pro-life goal of a "personhood amendment" for a fertilized egg won't pass.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You are the one who says it is not a person until it breathes.

Yep. And I showed you the legal definition that supports my statement. That's the reason why the pro-life goal of a "personhood amendment" for a fertilized egg won't pass.

And I showed you the science behind my argument.

But let me ask you this, as you are ok with abortions up to a certain week, despite the evidence that they do indeed feel pain and are learning at 18 weeks, then is it your opinion that abortions performed after a certain week are wrong?

Or all abortions, including partial-birth, ok? In your opinion, should abortions not be performed after a certain week?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Not to stray too far hear, but you know whats scary? The current trend in pop culture to portray that exact thing. Theres even a term for it now: pregnancy brain. Its been a theme on MANY tv shows over the last 2 years or so.

Pop culture pushing an ideology until its accepted.

Yeah that makes a whole lotta sense. Watch out women's rights activists, the progressive liberal media is plotting against you.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Not to stray too far hear, but you know whats scary? The current trend in pop culture to portray that exact thing. Theres even a term for it now: pregnancy brain. Its been a theme on MANY tv shows over the last 2 years or so.

Pop culture pushing an ideology until its accepted.

Yeah that makes a whole lotta sense. Watch out women's rights activists, the progressive liberal media is plotting against you.
Yep, youre right, im lying about the multiple episodes of different shows that have made it a trend to have episodes about it.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

I didn't say you were lying. I was pointing out how your conspiracy suspicions are silly. Why would multiple liberal TV shows portray pregnant women as crazy if there wasn't any truth to it?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I didn't say you were lying. I was pointing out how your conspiracy suspicions are silly. Why would multiple liberal TV shows portray pregnant women as crazy if there wasn't any truth to it?

Yep, you are correct, it is silly to think there is a common thread when multiple shows play off of a previously untapped theme.

Its only a conspiracy when something is negative is portrayed about conservatives.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

You should start a thread about it. I'd also like to know why shows like Modern Family would portray pregnant women as crazy. You might be on to something here.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

You should start a thread about it. I'd also like to know why shows like Modern Family would portray pregnant women as crazy. You might be on to something here.
Why? Youve already cleared it up. Any suspicion of conspiracy there is silly.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Why? Youve already cleared it up. Any suspicion of conspiracy there is silly.

Ha ha... now you want to listen to me.

Hey while we're at it, what do you see in this picture?

Here I'll help you out, I see a person without a brain.

What do you see?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

You should start a thread about it. I'd also like to know why shows like Modern Family would portray pregnant women as crazy.

OR portraying

# All blondes as dizzy?

# The aged as having ..... senior moments?

LOL!!!

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join