It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much asinine email!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
"Blah blah website/app misses you! Log in and..."
"Do you know so and so? 4 friends follow them on Twitter"
"Someone on Facebook THOUGHT about posting so we thought we would let you know cause you don't get nearly enough bull# from us as it is!"
"Reminder, you have money in your PayPal account."

Shut.
The.
Bleep.
Up.

As of current my inbox for two or three separate email addresses/aliases has 22,510 emails. These emails cannot be deleted fast enough. I have taken some serious measures to try and cull this a list of annoyances. Constantly unsubscribing going into app settings, desperately trying to make sure every time someone takes a # on Facebook I don't have to get a mail. I have the app I'm pretty sure that my notifications do a good enough job telling me everything I need to know as it is..the email is just a bull# afterthought for no #ing reason.

Sure, it's my fault that this number has gotten so high over the past years however it's not like I'm not doing anything to combat it. And it doesn't help that iOS has no way of mass deleting any of these it is one of the very few things about iOS that I don't like. People with ADHD and OCD such as myself do not cope well with this entire ordeal.

I generally don't deal much with email due to above, but I realize that when I do need to seriously take care of it, I have almost a gig of space being taken up by this crap. If I wanted to dedicate a day to swiping and tapping until all 20,000 emails are gone...I wouldn't. I shouldn't have to #ing do that. And is in the past when I do get them under control and all of them gone I blank and a few days later it's filled up again. Years ago I used to just delete the address completely and start over with a new email address but these days I can't do that so easily.

It just blows my mind how much # gets emailed to me for every little dirt it just is getting insane.I'm seeing the frequency of more asinine will crap coming through..websites and forums claiming to miss me. There are apps that notify and do that and guess what they get deleted! And then there is the worst offending idea when you unsubscribe from something they send you a confirmation email that you unsubscribed. That doesn't make me think I've been unsubscribed.

I'm sure that everybody's going to tell me to basically log off the Internet and stop using such and such and such, but you can't tell me you haven't experienced some of the same. I understand every time I sign up for something I am also signing up to get emailed, I know how it works, but I also know that settings and things can be controlled there's things that you can check yes or no to etc. and I've done all that and continue to do so. Yet it's overwhelming. I just lose patience and post here and avoid it.

Ending my whiny unladylike first world problem rant here. Thank you.
edit on 22-4-2014 by rbkruspe because: Added paypal reminder headline cause it was just too good to not include it.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Get off the net and use snail mail, no one will open and read that ( reason 1: too lazy, Reason 2: can't read) and you will not have these problems.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It's now time for you to update your spam filters. Whiney, no......lazy yes....

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Get a gmail account and you don't have to create filters - just mark as spam and it won't go into your inbox next time. I have 0 spam in my inbox and have several email accounts being forwarded to my gmail account.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
No spam filters needed except me. This is all crap I've "agreed" to receive. If not checking email and sitting for hours deleting it means I'm lazy thats your opinion. I call it no patience.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Second the Gmail suggestion. Their spam filters are outstanding, and it's very easy to label legit but annoying things as spam so you don't see them in your inbox.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Gmail is the nightmare in question! iCloud mail isn't as bad. I try to designate one place for this kinda stuff to go to. a reply to: saneguy

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rbkruspe

Meant lazy as in complacent, not that you are actually slug-like.

It happens to everyone. I have one email for people I want to hear from, and another for subscriptions.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I also have fear of missing important things and have tended to kinda email hoard in the past. The decision to archive or delete is just annoying to me for that reason cause I just save stuff I don't need anyway. It doesn't fix the problem much.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I assume there is no desktop computer available ever to do the much needed maintenance?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I have found that deleteing email, without opening them cuts waaaay back on the crap. If you are asking to unsubscribe, you are confirming your email address which gets sent to others who continue to send you crap. I get, maybe 3 spams a day and that is it.

It's just a computer data mining for valid email addresses. Don't respond, just delete and it will eventually go away. Takes a couple months though.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

if you use a mail client like thunderbird you can create filters and rules that for example automatically put in a designated subfloder every message from email address containing "facebook" (for example)

so they won't show up anymore in your mailbox and you can delete them via a right click on that subfolder

support.mozilla.org...
edit on 22-4-2014 by anHairInTheSoup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: WillLik
I assume there is no desktop computer available ever to do the much needed maintenance?

There is. The only benefit that serves is that I can select more than one message to delete.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I have found that deleteing email, without opening them cuts waaaay back on the crap. If you are asking to unsubscribe, you are confirming your email address which gets sent to others who continue to send you crap. I get, maybe 3 spams a day and that is it.

It's just a computer data mining for valid email addresses. Don't respond, just delete and it will eventually go away. Takes a couple months though.

Again, these are things I "signed up for" so I HAVE to tell them to stop or they won't. It's effective. I don't get anything I am not familiar with. I think I've had one true spam message in the past 5 years or so one snuck by somewhere.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm surprised. I am actually getting somewhere. Did a search for the stuff I get most like "Facebook" and I was able to delete all in one go. Yahoo groups too. I get daily digests even, but they are next after unsubbing to those I'm not active in or care about. Glad to see gmail actually make it easier to select more than just a page of messages at a time.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Well...I can certainly help you out with that pesky paypal spam about still having money in your account.

Send it all to me, the money not the spam, you'll not have to stress over that one anymore...

I have Thunderbird for my email client, just use filters and make sure to unsub from crap you don't want as soon as it comes in.

For all the bajillions of dollars being held for me in Ethiopian and UK accounts, they want to get it to me. I just reply to it with this typed in bolded,all CAPS at the top of the reply;.

FORWARDED TO FBI AND HOMELAND SECURITY FOR RAISING FUNDS FOR TERRORIST ACTIVITIES.

For some reason, I never hear back from them.

Des

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have an account for personal use with friends and family ONLY, one for businesses I do business with and one for annoying sites and businesses that simply require one for access or ask at the register. I never check that one.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

If he actually deleted the crap he gets, the spam filters would automatically learn what is spam and start filtering it for him.

On the other hand, I do that and it works, but I still get tons of new garbage.

By the way - never unsubscribe from anything. It only confirms to them that you are real, and they will sell your address to a hundred other spammers. Instead, mark them as spam and eventually they get dumped into the spam folder that you can mass delete once a week.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
22,000 emails and it's "not your fault."

Enough said.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Sorry, I was thinking that you were getting subscribed and unwanted email. Email kind of makes my eye twitch. I know how you feel though. When I was working and had to go someplace where email was limited, I could come back and there were literally hundreds of emails waiting. All of which had to be prioritized and answered. I don't miss that at all.

Nowadays, I'm lucky if I check my email twice a week.
And even when I do, there is very little there.

top topics

join