It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of avatar picture you most dislike?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I absolutely despise the avatars that flash. I won't even read their comments because it's too distracting and irritating, so I scroll past it, and all the nearby comments just to get the dang thing off my screen. And if they post a lot - I move on to a different subject all together.

And a couple years back - there was an actual thread about "what's with all the eye avatars!" haha Which is funny. This has been my avatar from the very beginning, and I've never changed it. Its been my avatar since before ATS... but when I found this place, it just worked. And oddly enough has absolutely NOTHING to do with my username.
edit on 22-4-2014 by CeeRZ because: added info

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CeeRZ

eyes are a work of art. Both graphically, and from an engineering feat perspective.

I have spent many hours in photoshop working on eyes, trying to make them "just right"

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Very few avatars I've run into on ATS, have sent me scrolling as fast as I can past them.

But, there are a few that give me the heebie-jeebies. I don't let my reaction to the avatars reflect in how I view the member wearing it.

The ones of animated eyes with something crawling out of the lower lid...freak me out to no end. Same with animated creepy spiders. Fast scroll by on those.

And there is one I can't look at. The cat that is free falling in the sky, the pic was taken from inside a small private plane. I really can't look at that one. As a private pilot, in my past I dated someone, that told me what fun he and another guy had in taking stray airport cats up in their small plane, and tossing them out.

As soon as he told me that...I cut off all contact with him, and reported him to our local tower.

Des

edit on 22-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Ooh i like the thrill moment of unexpected also in avatars.. those avatars which has animated eyes/faces moving suddenly are brilliant.. i like those a lot !

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

Ooh i like the thrill moment of unexpected also in avatars.. those avatars which has animated eyes/faces moving suddenly are brilliant.. i like those a lot !

I love a lot of them too, and consider them to be some of the most entertaining on ATS. It's just the ones with creepy bugs crawling out of body parts that give me the shivers...those I don't spend a lazy moment admiring...

Des

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I don´t like bugs either.. im with you on that !

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I do likes me some Aminal Avatars.
I'm a Panther this week. Reminds me of a cat I know.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Eyeballs....especially with gross things crawling or attached.
All Salvador Dali types are unsettling to me also.

Borders on phobia for me, so I just zip past those posters as fast as I can.....

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Ahhhhhhh!!! I'm quite certain your avatar is trying to brainwash me!!!! Hee hee, jk, it's pretty cool actually.

To the OP: Only problems are with clashy or flashy. Too busy and the colors aren't right just jangles my sense of aesthetic (modern simplicity here). If it flashes brightly, I feel like I'm about to have a seizure. Aside from those two things, to each their own even when it clashes or flashes. It's their avatar that represents them on these boards--not mine.

P.S. Yes, I know mine is off balance. It's driving me nuts but I've been too lazy to fix it.

edit on 22/4/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiro

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Spiro

originally posted by: schuyler
But it isn't. Your blue print shows up on a white background just fine. Your "reason" is moot.

Ah, but I changed it 30 minutes a go because a Mod informed me that it was within the T&C to have your username visible.

Not true. it's always been visible, even before you "changed" it.

Oh dear lord lol,

It was a white back round with white text. Are you being pedantic in respect to it being extremely barely visible?

Please don't accuse me of stuff, OK? It's uncivilized. I'm not intentionally lying to you for my own amusement.

It's my guess that local settings and monitors affect what we see, and that what you see is not always what the rest of us see, i.e.: your "white" may appear "grey" to me or some other color combination. With as many colors and hues as there are on modern video cards, it's inevitable that they don't always translate directly and "accurately" in terms of what you see yourself. It may be that what *I* see is abnormal and what *you* see is normal, or it may be the opposite. I don't have a way of knowing one way or another. I use a plain old cheap laptop--nothing fancy, unique, or otherwise strangely configured.

I have noticed that quite a few people choose a background color that is incompatible with their text color, which makes the text either difficult or impossible to see, though you can often left-click and roll over the area to expose the text. That means you user name, your tagline, your mood, location, and other attributes are effectively hidden from view, but if someone intentionally wants to disassociate themselves from their own posts, fine. I get the impression, though, that this is not at all intentional and is, instead, the result of inattention as much as anything. Why go to all the trouble of all that just to obscure it?

Some people put a lot of effort into their avatars with custom designs and such; some don't even bother with one. But most, I suspect, want to convey some sort of impression with their avatar that conveys how they want to appear to the rest of us. Your George Carlin avatar is a good example, as you have stated. You like the "no B.S." approach of Carlin, and you want that kind of attitude displayed with your posts. IMO people do judge avatars, and they also instigate a certain emotional response that carries through reading a post. Huge, macho, militaristic avatars of screaming super heroes with swords drawn convey aggression, for example, where sheep and rainbows covey an element of passivity.

Whatever floats your boat, but the idea that avatars do NOT invoke responses or that hey don't mean anything is, I think, erroneous. That they do was the reason for this thread in the first place.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I agree the text that disappears into the avatar does annoy me too. I find some of the more humerous flashy ones really good. Not keen on the crawly insect ones.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mirthful Me
Ones that are way over the allowed file size...

Ahem...

Yeah...

Booo this mod!!! BOOOOOO!!

Im sure that person is awesome.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

I'm sure this mod can get button clicky if a certain file doesn't get under 75kb...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

Ahhhhhhh!!! I'm quite certain your avatar is trying to brainwash me!!!! Hee hee, jk, it's pretty cool actually.

To the OP: Only problems are with clashy or flashy. Too busy and the colors aren't right just jangles my sense of aesthetic (modern simplicity here). If it flashes brightly, I feel like I'm about to have a seizure. Aside from those two things, to each their own even when it clashes or flashes. It's their avatar that represents them on these boards--not mine.

P.S. Yes, I know mine is off balance. It's driving me nuts but I've been too lazy to fix it.

You will now p.m. me your bank account details while reciting "SecretKnowledge is king" over and over.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

You will now p.m. me your bank account details while reciting "SecretKnowledge is king" over and over.

Yesssssss, masssterrrrr....

hee hee.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Pssst... Take a look here...

You will now PM me your new avatar file size...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Some of the larger animated avatars have a tendency to approach my neural network from the wrong angle (aka: they get on my nerves).

And as mentioned earlier, the ones that you can't see their name and stats without having to highlight the text in order to determine who the hell is making the post... A waste of 4 seconds of my life that I'll never get back.

Otherwise, there's a ton of great avatars on ATS.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: candlestick

My favorite ATS avatar is the one with trees and if you look closely it looks like a womens face. I like the avatars that I have to think about or that make me wonder about the member...lol

I don't like the ones that move, they are very distracting.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't think I have ever seen an avatar I did not like in some way.

The only time I don't like an avatar is when it's owner has done something to rub me the wrong way, otherwise it is all good, and the more creative, the better.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I change avatars quite often. But usually now keep the orange background. My favorites here have been the owl in winter with those slightly moving wings and the guy sitting with the waterfall falling on him. They both move but not unpleasantly. Not too many I don't like, although there have been some. Most are very interesting. And why would any lurkers who aren't members read a thread like this and not sign up as members, even if they never post. Unmembered lurkers never get to see the genius of these avatars, some of the best and largest on the web.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join