It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New poll says Big Bang theory a big question for many Americans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
The us is set to spend about 1 trillion on education in 2014, Mind you some of the education spending goes to certain schools that teach the alternative intelligent design theory. Every one is entitled to a belief. It may be the poll results reflect education level and belief structures. 30 years ago the poll would have been much lower. I see it as a positive for science

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

So its a scam, all America is, it will collapse. what has not collapse in human history? Is America currently number one country regarding their power and influence or not?

If you make an industry would you like to sell your products in the largest market or not, even knowing the government is broke as it is?

I think America is #1 fair and simple even if its a bubble ready to burst or not they are the ones that control all at this point, to say they are not number one is a lie, they will fall, china will become #1 but that is not the world we live in for now, and present is what matters, is that support for the USA?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

No, thats the world you lived in yesterday. Sorry. War has ravaged the us more than you could imagine. The poll is flawed. Was it taken in the bible belt or at universities? Im sure they didnt ask every american.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: arrakis624

The link to the poll is in the first page,

49% identified themselves as suburbans

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I don't like the big bang theory because application of the evidence fails to recognize that the evidence can be also be used to prove a different theory that has not yet been thought up, possibly a correct one. I know the creationism theory is just a generalized belief and I didn't like when that was the only option that we had either. There is structure to the universe, not random placement of things as a Big Bang would create.

The fact that many are questioning the possibility of multiverses should show that the big bang theory is not relevent.

Now if someone wants to believe in the big bang theory, they have the right to, as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat. There are many possible reasons that the universe is expanding, anything from contact with cold, like ice or frost growing, to thermal expansion or increasing energy conversion of the components...stars and galaxies. Man does not have enough evidence yet to even comprehend how the universe formed. Man often does have a big head and an overpowering personality that likes to control things.

I don't have to choose the side of religion or the side of science, limiting our choice is stupid. Both of the theories are possibly flawed, I can think on my own and do not have to parrot others on this subject.
edit on 22-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
"And scientists know they've got the shakiest leg in the triangle."

Already false. I need not read further I guess.

Of course they don't like the big bang. It directly refutes the creation story. And politicians play sides, so they don't want to piss off creationists, cause they're very emotional.

BTW it's called the Big Bang Theory cause it's just that - a theory. But hater's are gonna hate anyways.

Why do they refute each other? I personally believe in both. God spoke (big bang) and everything was created. Until a better theory comes forth. Science doesn't have all the others, why should Creationists? Just because I don't know exactly how everything was created doesn't mean I can't believe God wasn't the cause of it.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My belief is that there are other universes besides our own. We are in one bubble of maybe an unlimited number. There is a possibility that sound was used to create the universes. We now know that sound in a liquid can cause heat, bubbles, and energy to form.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yeah dude 60 religious people vs 31 people with no religion. Are the percentages still surprising? Still at school?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

The reason why science is the shakiest leg of the triangle is due to it's nature and 24 hour news channels that need filler. Running stories on research papers and theories as absolute fact only to have some discovery a few weeks later that "surprises" scientists (especially astrophysicists) and seems to not fit in their math they based their theory on doesn't help.

I dont even know if I believe in a "Big Bang". Perhaps our math is wrong but we have developed a great model that can explain most things. But even Hawking is questioning the existence of whether black holes exist or are brown holes and somehow shoot out massive amounts of energy.
I think we should keep searching for answers on theories, but remember that theories can also be refuted as well as proven. Anything is possible. There is much to learn about outer and inner space. I'm just going to keep an open mind and wonder about what is around me and within me.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Survey is flawed dude. #1? Yeah man. Still #1.
2nd if anything. To everyone.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
'The Big Bang Theory' as far as I can gather, is a comedic television show and has only been around for about 7 series which doesn't work out to nearly 13 point something billion years so just relax. The only thing that comes close to that time frame is 'The Simpsons'. Whoever compiled the questions for this survey should do some serious research before unleashing their preposterous notions on law abiding citizens.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

are you suggesting the poll was 91 persons?

Do you at least know the percentage of religious people in USA?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oannes
My belief is that there are other universes besides our own. We are in one bubble of maybe an unlimited number. There is a possibility that sound was used to create the universes. We now know that sound in a liquid can cause heat, bubbles, and energy to form.

Is this called a multiverse?

Let me show you something from a "citizen scientist" and "defender of science" on youtube...

parker barefoot3 weeks ago

You'd actually sound like you know what your talking about if you would just say specifically where he is wrong...That might work on a playground but not in a court of law, live debate,nor here

Youtube compared to a court of law or academic debate forum for the young man who must defend science everywhere to the point that youtube has somehow become the new textbook.

Notice some things here, he still uses improper grammar and has set himself up as the authority of science on youtube. But I have noticed something, a general trend of these young "science defenders" tend to never use proper grammar and are always militant in their self-promoted authoritarian stance.

ATS isn't a court of law or an academic debate forum either, this is a site for sharing theories and ideas, but the same militancy is seen here as well as every forum out there.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What the poll clearly demonstrates is that most Americans lack any formal education or critical thinking skills.

Also, as this thread proves as well, most people do not know the difference between a scientific theory and conjecture. Science illiteracy and general ignorance at its best.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: solomons path
What the poll clearly demonstrates is that most Americans lack any formal education or critical thinking skills.

Also, as this thread proves as well, most people do not know the difference between a scientific theory and conjecture. Science illiteracy and general ignorance at its best.

Another opinion bully...does being an opinion bully require critical thinking skills?

We know the difference, however the scientific community isn't using the word "conjecture" in the textbooks given to American school children. There is no such thing as debate in grade school because children are told to accept and believe in facts that are later proven as false, they become confused when they are older and yet still defend the original claims.

That's the biggest problem. But I see by your defense of the scientific community that previous conjectures aren't addressed, you simply tell us that we lack analytical and critical thinking skills. So we respectfully as you to think about this, not the science which proves or disproves, rather, why are children taught "facts" and told to believe said "facts' without question? To accept and believe without question does not require thinking skills.

Do you believe "facts" and "conjectures" should be taught as absolutes to children? That's exactly what has happened.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
People often confuse 'science' with 'omniscience'. A good example is classical vs relativistic physics. For around 300 yrs physicists were in agreement about the 'laws' of motion and the absolute nature of space and time. We were able to make remarkable progress using these theories and they still work with relatively small velocities and gravitational fields. Just because we have a new set of equations for relativistic situations does not mean classical physics is no longer valid. It's simply a case of applicability. Another way of looking at it is that classical physics is a restricted case of relativistic physics that applies only in certain conditions. Theories are not so much 'true' of 'false' - they are more like 'applicable' or 'not applicable'.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

All you've shown is that you don't know the difference between scientific theory and conjecture either. The scientific community doesn't use or teach conjecture because there is no evidence to back it. You know, like creationism or ancient aliens or a global flood.

I'm not "defending" the scientific community, the weight of evidence does that.

I'm assuming you took part in this poll?
edit on 4/22/14 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Your YouTube link is bunk.

Electric universe is not a valid scientific theory. It is conjecture, it poses no testable hypothesis, let alone one that can be confirmed.

Why don't you post a Ken Ham video and erroneously claim he speaks for the scientific community, as well?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Your YouTube link is bunk.

Electric universe is not a valid scientific theory. It is conjecture, it poses no testable hypothesis, let alone one that can be confirmed.

Why don't you post a Ken Ham video and erroneously claim he speaks for the scientific community, as well?

I wasn't posting it for the video, I simply wanted you to see where the comment was made in the comment section. I was citing my source about the comment I had mentioned, that is all.

You misunderstood what I was doing. I had copied and pasted a comment from the comment section and then gave you the link that would take you to the comment in reference. I was not debating the science in the video, only what the one person said.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

All you've shown is that you don't know the difference between scientific theory and conjecture either. The scientific community doesn't use or teach conjecture because there is no evidence to back it. You know, like creationism or ancient aliens or a global flood.

I'm not "defending" the scientific community, the weight of evidence does that.

I'm assuming you took part in this poll?

Let's go through this one more time...

Scientific conjecture is taught as fact in schools. Whether or not you want to disagree with conjectures, the point is that it is taught as facts.

I don't know how old you are, but when I was in school, Neanderthals were taught as being a species that went extinct and that's it, because Cro Magnon replaced them.

Now we know that many Europeans, myself included, have Neanderthal percentages. And yet this has not been revised in the textbooks, which many students are led to believe that everything previously known about Neanderthal is still fact, therefore believable, even though the facts have changed.

Facts change all the time, but the point is, the education system isn't teaching that facts change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join