It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible cure for Ebola found.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Well, let's hope this is the real deal. I am still researching this so I don't have much to add other than a bit of excitement and optimisim at this point
What do you folks think?

Obviously, finding a treatment or cure for such a frightening disease is desirable. With our highly interconnected world, it is only a matter of time before a hemorrhagic fever shows up on our doorstep. (Actually, that's already happened.) Unfortunately, at the present time, there is little that can be done for a victim of Ebola or any other hemorrhagic fever. Mostly, patients are kept hydrated and symptoms are treated as they arise. Other than that, doctors cross their fingers and hope the patient doesn't die.

That may be about to change. In the journal Nature, scientists -- who conducted much of their work in the secretive, high-containment biological laboratory maintained by USAMRIID at Fort Detrick, Maryland -- have reported the discovery of a small molecule that rescues rodents and monkeys from various hemorrhagic fevers. Even more, the drug exhibited activity against a wide range of viruses.

The molecule, named BCX4430, resembles the famous "A" found in DNA: adenosine. (Recall that DNA is made of Adenosine, Thymidine, Cytidine and Guanosine.) The RNA-based filoviruses also use "A" in their genomes. BCX4430, because it resembles "A", can be accidentally used by the virus when it is trying to grow inside of our cells. For the virus, this is a fatal mistake. BCX4430 blocks further growth and reproduction.

The most compelling experiment the research team ran involved the infection of cynomolgus macaque monkeys with deadly Marburg virus. Macaques were given twice daily doses of BCX4430 for 14 days beginning 1 hour, 24 hours, or 48 hours post-infection. (See graph. There were six monkeys in each treatment group.)

As shown above, all of the monkeys that did not receive BCX4430 (labeled "vehicle") died by day 12. However, every monkey (except for one) that received a dose of BCX4430 survived, even if the initial dose came 48 hours after infection. In total, 17 out of 18 treated monkeys lived.

www.realclearscience.com...

More can be read at the link .

Humbly

LSH

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

Star and flag for you.This would be a miracle if it works on humans this way. I think I would trust USAMRID before the CDC on infectious diseases. So if they think they got something, I hope it works out.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

Thanks ,I just wish they could find cures like this for the slower killers like CANCER and all the rest.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The result must be like the topic of this thread :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: candlestick

Well ,I don't think they can afford to risk putting a price on a cure like this ,its to fast of a killer.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Wow, and it even didn't have to be vitamin C, as that stuff seems to cure anything..

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

There's a cure for every virus even EVD.

I'm like Ripley....Believe or Not!

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Give me the shots and Ill go cuddle the infected. Will report back or ooze back findings. Im thinking that this is good, but they are a ways off from deploying a solution that would work in the field

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere

originally posted by: candlestick

Well ,I don't think they can afford to risk putting a price on a cure like this ,its to fast of a killer.

Becouse it kills so fast it does not have time to spread, however with the open doors that Europe has it only needs one person fly into a big city to see the death count in 100000s in a short time. PC is killing us in every way possible

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1

There's a cure for every virus even EVD.

I'm like Ripley....Believe or Not!

I dont understand ?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: jollyjollyjolly

hope u don't mean , this field,,

cough, cough.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere
a reply to: Dimithae

Thanks ,I just wish they could find cures like this for the slower killers like CANCER and all the rest.

There is a cure for cancer but it is suppressed by the AMA (big pharma). They would lose billions if cancer was cured. Big pharma gets their biggest profits from chemo drugs. Also, research hospitals would lose billions from federal grants, oncologists would lose their jobs, etc. The medical lobby in DC is just too powerful to let in a cure. But that being said, hopefully the Ebola vaccine is legit and sees the light of day.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is an anti-viral, not a vaccine. If I'm understanding what I'm reading correctly, it inhibits the ability of the virus to attack the host by offering it a plethora of receptors to bind to. It's a little like when farmers release a bunch of sterile pest flies in the environment for the population to attempt to breed with. Some of the time, the virus will find legitimate cells to bind to and attack while other times viral particles will be binding with these dummy receptors that will offer them nothing.

The slowed infection rate may give the hosts own immune system time to respond and defeat the infection which is possible. It's just that usually the infection is too devastating for the host to survive long enough for the immune system to do its job.

In short, if this works in humans as it supposedly does in the monkeys and on all strains of the virus, it gives victims a fighting chance. It's basically the Ebola version of Tamiflu.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The company Tekmira also is working on something along these lines. It's pretty promising, as they are in the very beginning of the human clinical stages/trials. (As in giving it to them to see if there are any adverse effects in general.)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sundowner

Well, then, let's pray that the therapy isn't worse than the disease although with Ebola that would be pretty hard.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Score another point for epigenetic gene regulation.

....The field is growing by leaps and bounds and yes, is being applied to treating cancer.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae
I think I would trust USAMRID before the CDC on infectious diseases.

I would trust the Army .... or any other fed agency ..... to function in a manner completely against the interests of our citizens. Seems I recall USAMRID "lost" a batch or two of Ames-strain anthrax -- and this bioweapon showed up in postal mail to congressmen questioning 9/11 and the aftermath.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: juspassinthru
You make a very good point,however the CDC has shown in the past that it will not err on the side of caution when they think they have a live virus loose in the population. And the CDC in the past has had virus' gone missing as well,and could not for the life of them account for where it went.Some pretty nasty stuff too.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Funny how this comes out just as Ebola spreads around west Africa, in a major city too, which has never happened before. A frightening epidemic has begun in Africa and suddenly, a cure may be found. They'd need an epidemic to make some money off their newly found discovery. I'll bet there is a pretty price tag on that cure.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
S&F for you sir but unfortunately it'll never happen!! a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

top topics

join