It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iWant Your Suggestions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I just purchased an iPad a few days ago and other than a first generation nano iPod I have no experience with Apple (not counting Oregon Trail in elementary school) products at all. I have been a loyal Android user for years now. I went with the iPad because they were the first to enter the scene and my iPod has been going super strong for more than 10 years.

I was super excited to check out the Apple App Store to see how different it was compared to the Android Market (I refuse to call it Google Play). I was quickly overwhelmed. I have searched for and gotten a lot of the apps that I have on my android phone but after that, I just can't seem to focus on "what's next".

I do not know anybody with any Apple products and that is why I am here. I would very much appreciate it if you all could throw in some suggestions on what to download. I have an ipad 2 (I can't afford to even breath on the new ones) and it updated when I got it out of the box to 7.1 (if I'm not mistaken) os. I will be using this as my main "computer" and not for any type of business since my daughter has taken over my PC.

I like strategic games. Puzzles I guess you would say. Mahjong, Take Ten, Sunny Seeds, Spider Solitaire, etc. but I am always open to trying something others recommend for fun. I am also still searching for a good weather application. I would love to find a good grocery list making app too. They don't have the one I use on my phone available in the App Store.

In the Android Market you are given a 15 minute trial of any app you purchase. If you download it, try it and are not happy you can get a refund on what you have spent. I don't see that option anywhere in the Apple App Store, though I could be missing it. If I am, I would greatly appreciate anyone that can point me in the right direction of finding it. It would make finding some decent apps much easier.

Other than that I am open to anything else as well. What are your must have apps?

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
My game suggestion: Kingdom Rush

This started as a web game. I believe it's also available on Android. That said, if you haven't played it, give it a go. Plays even better with a stylus. I put more time into this $1.99 (the price when I bought it) game than most $60 titles I've purchased. So good.

There is a sequel, but even if it's good, start with the first game in the series (I don't see how they could improve upon it).

As to your question about refunds. You are playing by Apple's rules now (no returns -- even convincing them that your 3 year-old spent $100 on DLC when you were in the other room, and trying to get a refund, is a nightmare). You can always Google reviews for the apps you are interested in. You are usually only going to be out the cost of an energy drink if you regret a purchase. Many apps also have a free or "Lite" version (the bait). Typically those are limited in content or include ads.
edit on 4/22/2014 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AkumaStreak

I will definitely give it a go.
Thanks. I have had one or two games from Android that we're well worth more than 99 cents. They are hard to find these days for sure! I don't mind playing games that take forever to beat (or even ongoing) it does make you feel like you got your money's worth.

Thanks again.

ETA - The "playing by Apple's Rules" thing is another reason it took me so long to decide to go with them. At least now I won't keep looking around trying to find out if they offer refunds. I know when I was reading the reviews on a lot of apps, people were angry about losing money on a bad app so I figured that was the case at any rate. Thanks for confirming it.
edit on 4/22/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

That game can be beaten faster if you don't go for a perfect rating on the levels. I decided early on that I wanted a perfect rating on all of the levels, so I got a ton of time out of it. :-)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AkumaStreak

Now you sound just like me. I do enjoy playing Candy Crush and am only half way through the game because I can not leave a level until it has a perfect score. I plan on finishing it one day without paying any money to do it. Same thing went for Angry Birds and any other game (including consoles) that I play. The thought of finishing it the easy way bothers me. I am glad to see I am not the only anal one about that.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I play Hearthstone. It's a free card game from Blizzard. The new ad states it's ready for iPad and you get a free card pack if you get it now. I like it a lot.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FluffChop

Is that kind of like Magic? I will have to check it out. Who doesn't love something for free.
Thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

My must-have apps are Pandora and Feedly. Feedly is where I get most of my news besides ATS. I don't play games on my iPad. I don't think that my old iPad could support them. It's a hand-me-down iPad 1.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: brazenalderpadrescorpio

I will look into feedly. I used Pulse on Android to get my news feeds and I downloaded Flipboard to get them on my IPad. Feedly may definitely be better at that with less data usage.
thank you.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I forgot to add that feedly is an rss reader. I'm not sure if pulse is an rss reader. Also, feedly is not iPad exclusive. I hope that helps.
edit on 22-4-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Strategery (definitely) and Plague Inc. (YMMV).

ETA : HiCalc HD Pro

PM me if you reload ammo or shoot at range.
edit on 2242014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
when it comes to apple the operating system is second to none. but there screen size on phones and lack of free music downloading as well as non compatability with other household devices will continue to deter many users to others such as samsung. well pretty much just samsung. i would love a galaxy note with an apple os... my $0.02

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I dont have an ipad but many folks in my family do, the ipad is a fine device for sure.

Its really nice for just browsing the net, i dont really play those mini games so i cant comment there, but they are really very good and generation wise, they are much better than the android version. Can get a bit pricey on your itune account, watch out for that creeping up on you!

edit on b4747221 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Best to download google chrome for a browser, although it has the tendency to crash if you have too many sites open.

Games wise it depends what you like. I spent days play Great Big War Game. Literally played till my battery went. It depends on what kind of games you like. I don't buy the free games as they basically con you to spend money to progress. Apart from that I have a few flight sims, the star gazing app, that's about it, I just use it for Internet. It could do with some good music production apps, there are a few but all pretty basic.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I'm not going to suggest any particular games. BUT...I will say, that like you I was an Android user for years. Then I went Apple. My computer has always been a MAC for at least 12 years...that component will never ever change, ever...I love Mac!

However, I was faithful to Android...I loved it! I went with an iphone, then ipad because my husband suggested I switch from T-Mobile to AT&T...so I did. It took some getting used to. However, I won't say that I like it that much more....but I do love my ipad games
They"re phenomenal, and I play like 10 of them.

I do miss my Android though. It was very flexible

PS
I might go back to Android....I'm no good at giving advice...I'm all over the place...sorry

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

One of the apps that I put on my IPhone was Plague Inc . In a way, this is entirely a strategy game, and I've found it to be very, very addicting (Just a friendly tip - The actual game only costs a dollar, and you don't need any of the in-game purchases. After buying many of them, and finally reading the fine print, I discovered that if I would have just played the game normally, I'd be able to unlock everything for free)

I also have games like Bejeweled, and a couple of the LEGO-series games (Mostly LEGO Star Wars, the complete Saga). Only reason that I have them is that my PSP is getting old; so I just moved whatever I had on the console to the phone).

Originally, I was also looking for a flOw-type game, but I found that the one game similar to it was banned for using the same images.

If you've noticed my lack of games, it's because I'm just now learning about Apple tech myself.
-fossilera

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Thanks.
Which star gazing app do you use?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1

I'm not going to suggest any particular games. BUT...I will say, that like you I was an Android user for years. Then I went Apple. My computer has always been a MAC for at least 12 years...that component will never ever change, ever...I love Mac!

However, I was faithful to Android...I loved it! I went with an iphone, then ipad because my husband suggested I switch from T-Mobile to AT&T...so I did. It took some getting used to. However, I won't say that I like it that much more....but I do love my ipad games
They"re phenomenal, and I play like 10 of them.

I do miss my Android though. It was very flexible

PS
I might go back to Android....I'm no good at giving advice...I'm all over the place...sorry

No... You sound like me.
I am definitely loving my iPad, but do keep thinking about how much more potential it would have if it's os was as flexible as Android. I know you can jailbreak them, but I am not ready for anything like that at this point.

I have a PC, an Android phone and an iPad... So you aren't the only one all over the place.

Thanks.

edit on 4/26/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

originally posted by: fossilera

One of the apps that I put on my IPhone was Plague Inc . In a way, this is entirely a strategy game, and I've found it to be very, very addicting (Just a friendly tip - The actual game only costs a dollar, and you don't need any of the in-game purchases. After buying many of them, and finally reading the fine print, I discovered that if I would have just played the game normally, I'd be able to unlock everything for free)

I also have games like Bejeweled, and a couple of the LEGO-series games (Mostly LEGO Star Wars, the complete Saga). Only reason that I have them is that my PSP is getting old; so I just moved whatever I had on the console to the phone).

Originally, I was also looking for a flOw-type game, but I found that the one game similar to it was banned for using the same images.

If you've noticed my lack of games, it's because I'm just now learning about Apple tech myself.
-fossilera

I am going to download Plague Inc. as soon as I am done here. You and several others have recommended it so far. It's worth checking out at this point.

I hear you on the in app purchases. I am play Candy Crush and have almost clawed my eyes out at how difficult it is to get 3 stars on every level without buying boosters and such... But I refuse to do it on principle alone. I am sure I could have beaten it long ago if I had paid. Sometimes it's a little more satisfying to do it the hard way.

edit on 4/26/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks.
Which star gazing app do you use?

It's called star walk. Also if you like watching planes and identifying them, flight radar 24 is a great app.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I might need to pick up the flight app. I have Stellarium for star stuff and I think it sucks. I will admit to only having tried to use it a few times when wasted.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join