It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spanish town of "MataJudíos" (Kill Jews) will vote to change its name.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
STORY HERE

The 56 residents of the town, which lies near the northern city of Burgos, will vote on May 25 on whether to change the name and instead celebrate the location's Jewish heritage, Mayor Lorenzo Rodriguez said on Monday. If they agree to the change, locals will be able to choose between the rather less offensive Mota Judios and Mota de Judios, which both mean Mound of the Jews. "Those of us who have lived all our lives in Castrillo Matajudios don't give it a second thought. But the moment you go elsewhere it sounds bad," the mayor said.

I mean, America has its share of places with xenophobic names but this one takes the cake. There's also Matamoros , officially known as Heroica Matamoros and formerly named San Juan de los Esteros Hermosos, is a city in the northeastern state of Tamaulipas, in the country of Mexico. It is located on the southern bank of the Rio Grande, directly across the border from Brownsville, Texas, in the United States. Saint James Matamoros, 'the Moor-slayer', name given to the James, son of Zebedee, patron saint of Spain, in recognition of a legendary apparition to Ramiro I of Asturias in a battle against the Saracens.

Anyway, do you think they should change the town's name?
edit on 21-4-2014 by lupodigubbio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lupodigubbio

To answer your question, I think we're ready for a name change. Yeah.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I think it's fine but as long as the next Israeli settlement is called "KillSpicsDead."

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anglojew
I think it's fine but as long as the next Israeli settlement is called "KillSpicsDead."

LOL

Real classy comment there !!

and you forgot to translate.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

LOL

It's a racist comment that has not been deleted. Hmmm

Why would the Spanish name a town: "Kill Jews"??

I want to discover the story behind this. All the facts. Soon as I get time I will research it.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje

LOL

I want to discover the story behind this. All the facts. Soon as I get time I will research it.

Inquisition

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lupodigubbio

Well, someone got the memo late.

Only by around 69 years.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje

LOL

Inquisition

Mental constipation

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Probably goes way back to the Spanish Inquisition

The main agenda is debatable.

The long term effects and results create many questions.

The Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition (Spanish: Tribunal del Santo Oficio de la Inquisición), commonly known as the Spanish Inquisition (Inquisición española), was established in 1478 by Catholic Monarchs Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile. It was intended to maintain Catholic orthodoxy in their kingdoms and to replace the Medieval Inquisition, which was under Papal control. It became the most substantive of the three different manifestations of the wider Christian Inquisition along with the Roman Inquisition and Portuguese Inquisition.

The Inquisition was originally intended in large part to ensure the orthodoxy of those who converted from Judaism and Islam. This regulation of the faith of the newly converted was intensified after the royal decrees issued in 1492 and 1501 ordering Jews and Muslims to convert or leave.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ahh, I see! Thanks for that

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Mata Judíos is a misspelling of Mota Judíos ("hill of the Jews").

Understandable they want to change the name.

join