It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MANY People Vanishing Into Thin Air! WHAT'S HAPPENING???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: BO XIAN

No. David lays aside conventional as well as exotic explanations and typically AVOIDS ANY CONCLUSIONS. He just searches out the facts and lets the facts speak for themselves without forming conclusions.

I didn't mean to say he comes to any particular conclusions. My point was that in the absence of evidence, he implies that there is something less than mundane going on. It's a good way to sell books.

Thankfully, he's brave enough to go wherever the evidence is leading him.
You mean a lack of evidence. There's sort of a difference.

The assumption he's doing it to sell books is exactly the mindset I just addressed a few posts back. Is simple. Don't buy his book. The audacity of this guy to dig into their own pockets to travel to these places and stay in hotels and eat and try and talk to people and investigate sites where people have disappeared etc. etc. over a period of years then to actually put it in a book and offer it for sale for a few hundred people to buy... Yes, I'm sure he did it for the money - *sarcasm* in case it wasn't obvious.

How about you put all your knowledge accumulated into a book, pay for publishing it and offer it for free? I'll take one!

edit on 21-4-2014 by wishes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Because that "just happens" to be the ONLY areas in Oregon which offer up cases that fit David's narrow criteria for bothering with them.

It may only be one area. I just forget.

Also, he has noticed a statistically inexplicable high percentage of such cases in areas which have dark geographic names . . . e. g. "Devil's this" and Death Hollow etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

You mean like this?

Four years later, in 2003, hikers found some clothing that turned out to be Jaryd's. However, the clothing was found 550 feet up from the trail where Jaryd was last seen. A very steep and difficult area to get too, especially for A bit of a child's skull and one tooth were found.

Asks Paulides: "How did Jaryd and his clothes get up the hill if he couldn't have climbed up there himself?"

www.reddirtreport.com...

Scavengers maybe?

It's very possible this was a vulture or another scavenger bird that did this, especially if their were two or more fighting over the remains. A small head 550 feet up hill isn't a problem for a large bird.
edit on 21-4-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

a good number of cases

There are no explanations for "a good number" of UFO cases. See my point?
A lack of evidence means unknown. That's it. People disappear in the woods. That's it.

What's the point? Other than selling books, that is?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Colorado has all of those things as well, there's no need to educate me on the existence of wild animals in big places with national parks. Just last year in fact, I came almost face to face with a bear, not so sure I want to hike there anymore...In most cases when people get eaten or mauled by large animals, there is something left behind to show for it. Also, and I don't say this to be rude either, but pointing out that Oregon has wild animals is patronizing at the very least.

It was pointed out in the OPs vid that in most of these cases being discussed in the video, wild animals were ruled out as a possible reason for the disappearances due to various reasons/factors. I don't require a convincing from you that they were all wild animal attacks either, I don't know what happened to the people, I simply find this topic to be fascinating.

There is nothing wrong with thinking it's all wild animals either, if that's what you think happened to all of them. Just curious though, Is it your mission to make sure everyone knows this for absolute fact so that we no longer have to discuss it?
edit on 21-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Did you see the source for those numbers which I quoted? Where does it say there are any particular areas of Oregon involved?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

My take on him is that he's comfortable enough with his retirement pay.

He loves to have whatever MIGHT add to his bottom line--and that's questionable, IIRC as to whether that's really going to be the case from his book sales--they are just as likely to not break even. He wants more funds to bolster the research.

I do NOT read him as the least bit money grubbing.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
You don't have to be a money grubber to cash in on something. Supplemental income is a good thing. Not to mention the ego boost.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Animal attacks are eliminated because you can tell when someone has been attacked and dragged off to be eaten! There is evidence when animals attack - the ground is disturbed dirt from a scuffle, possibly blood, dragging marks. His investigations have criteria and animal attacks are detectable and not included in his case studies.

Many investigations (as has been said) have tracking dogs who either refuse to track or have no scent to go after.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep
It doesn't take a wild animal attack to kill someone. A good fall will do it. A broken leg or snakebite can lead to it. After that, animals will do what they will. Even if if they don't, there are some deep ravines that a body won't be found in.

Is it your mission to make sure everyone knows this for sure so that we no longer have to discuss it?
No mission. If that were my mission I obviously failed at it a long time ago. Just my thoughts that there's no real reason to go all mysterious about it.

You can discuss it all you want. Don't imply that I can't.

edit on 4/21/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

a good number of cases

There are no explanations for "a good number" of UFO cases. See my point?
A lack of evidence means unknown. That's it. People disappear in the woods. That's it.

What's the point? Other than selling books, that is?

Yes, David says the explanation is unknown. People "mysteriously" disappear - if you'd bother to actually look at his case studies you'd see he has already asked all the same questions you pose. What's the point besides selling books!?? Seriously??? What's the point of asking "why" or "how" ever? Obviously to understand the world we live in!

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: wishes

What's the point of asking "why" or "how" ever? Obviously to understand the world we live in!

How do you understand something which lacks enough evidence to provide understanding?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I'd have to listen to his interviews again to get the site(s) in Oregon specifically. Sorry.

Let me see if I can dig up some links

www.youtube.com...

I think the following one is somewhat related to his latest book

He talks about a "cluster of disappearances" involving about a 100 mile diameter.

30 miners disappeared in the late 1800's from a relatively small reason.

a historical tie . . . as there is in Crater Lake . . . that's occurred in the last few years.

Mt Shasta is tied in with the region where the miners disappeared.
My paraphrase/transcription

1999 and 2,000 . . . Carl Landers 69 and Rosemary K 70 . . . different events, different location . . .

Carl was with some friends . . . a retired airline pilot . . . another ran an import business . . . they left and started to climb Mt Shasta . . . stopped in an area of a small lake but didn't quite make it to the lake . . . sleeping up against some boulders . . . Carl wasn't feeling chipper . . . had the runs . . . didn't feel good but felt he could still make it. Was used to running daily . . .

2 of the guys picking up the tent. . . said go around the bend, go 800 feet and you'll reach the lake and wait there. There's no other options than to go right to the lake. They guys 15-20 minutes later they leave for the lake and stop at the ranger. They asked if the Ranger saw Carl--no. They walked back and fourth 3-4 times . . . supplies were where they left them. Called search operations . . . Gris had done it for 30+ years . . . in 35 years I've never seen this happen. We were all over that mountain. HE WAS NOT ON THAT MOUNTAIN. We had canines. There was snow around the path and no steps went off the path. He's never been found . . . none of his equipment has been found.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Yes, people die in the wilderness all the time for various reasons. Where the "mysterious" part kicks in, is how in these cases when sometimes hundreds of people searched for days on end, bloodhounds and all, the bodies were not found when the scent coming from the carcass/s should have easily been traceable.

You can discuss it all you want. Don't imply that I can't.

I didn't imply you can't, it was just a question because it seems you know what happened to all the missing people. Discuss away.
edit on 21-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

What's the point of asking "why" or "how" ever? Obviously to understand the world we live in!

How do you understand something which lacks enough evidence to provide understanding?

There is evidence, it just doesn't lead to a conclusion. There is evidence the person "was" there. There is evidence they "disappeared." There are sometimes evidence by family or friends who saw them seconds before they disappeared. There is evidence their body was not found. There is evidence there was no animal attack. There is evidence they re-appeared in a place that had previously been searched multiple times.

What there isn't is an explanation - quite different from evidence.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I don't think David believes he's remotely close to UNDERSTANDING what is going on.

David P

"There's several times where people disappear in an area that has a strange name. . . . places have names for a reason . . . many times . . . "Devil's Valley" "Devil's Mountain" "Devil's Nest" are areas with multiple disappearances.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

There are sometimes evidence by family or friends who saw them seconds before they disappeared. There is evidence their body was not found. There is evidence there was no animal attack. There is evidence they re-appeared in a place that had previously been searched multiple times.

1 - Evidence. Sort of. But no evidence of how the disappearance occurred. There have been cases of children been abducted within moments.

2 - No evidence of anything

3 - No evidence of anything

4 - Evidence. People are known to wander in circles when lost. A good reason to stay put when lost.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

David P
"There's several times where people disappear in an area that has a strange name. . . . places have names for a reason . . . many times . . . "Devil's Valley" "Devil's Mountain" "Devil's Nest" are areas with multiple disappearances.

And you say he's not coming to conclusions?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I didn't imply you can't, it was just a question because it seems you know what happened to all the missing people. Discuss away.

Sure. As soon as you tell me where I implied that I know what happened to all the missing people.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Oregon - 3 men in the 3 Sisters area - other areas are:
Cape Perpetua, Cave Junction, Clackamas County, Cougar Reservoir, Cummins Creek, Douglas County, Elkton, Eugene, French Pete Creek, Jefferson Wilderness, Josephine County, Lane County, Larch Mountain, Marion County, Mount Jefferson, Mount Hood, Olallie Mountain, Portland, Ritter, Roaring River, Middle Rock Lakes, Rock Lakes Basin, Shell Rock Lake, Rogue River National Forest, Roseburg, Russell Lake, Siuslaw National Forest, Umatilla National Forest, Umpqua National Forest, Twin Lakes, Wallowa, Williamette National Forest

I got these from the index from his Missing 411 North America and Beyond. It includes North America and 5 other countries he's investigated. I have not read the book yet, am going to in next week after I finish my exams.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join