It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm sticking with fast food jobs for a few good reasons.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Seriously. I just turned 41. Since I was a Sophomore in high school I have worked fast food. I have tried other jobs but always end up returning to fast food. I have gone to college - still end up with my love of that business.

I got hired in last week at a fast food place to become a shift manager and then assistant manager. My goals are to ultimately become a Store Manager and then Area Supervisor. At least here in my curent State pf residence, Store Managers get between 49k and 57k a year. Area supervisors get between 63k and 77k a year. Not bad at all. Don't need college one bit, you train as you go.

For now I'm taking a second fast food job just to make some extra money until I get trained at the first and get my shift manager raise. It'll be around 9.50 an hour for that management raise. I may still keep the second part time job just to keep making a little more. I'll do this until I become an assistant. They get a good decent salary of 32 to 45k a year, both salaries I have never seen in my entire life.

See, the great thing about working fast food since 89, you learn how to live cheaply from minimum wage. Even 24k a year to me would be a personal 1%. I'd not live too much differently than I do now, aside from getting a car and maybe finding a slightly nicer place of maybe 500 a month (that is RICH in my area, mind you). Right now I'm making 8 at the first place (and I was hired in far above the normal starting pay of 7.25 so I'm blessed!) and I'm expecting 7.25 at the other, though that will be just 20 hrs a week, with 40 at the other. My total bills a month are 750 dollars (rent, net, food, water and electric) so the rest will easily be saved. If I just worked the one job, I'd not be able to save much at all. What is the point then?

I keep going back to fast food because I love the environment, love working with people, love making guests happy and pleased, take huge pride in my store I'm working in and it's fast paced, hard enough work to keep me at a low stress level to ensure I do the best I can do. I go home exhausted and hurting after a full shift, hehe. We do earn our money, that's for sure.

Heck, I was going to apply for a shift mgr position at CVS and was nodding at the job duties. I'll post em here just so people can see what we get to do as min wage workers. I have read other places on here where many think you just 'flip burgers' or 'take money'. The following is for CVS (like a Walgreens, if you will) for a shift mgr position, paying 8.50 to 9.50 an hour.

Management

Work effectively with store management and store crews
Supervise the store’s crew through assigning, directing and following up of all activities
Effectively communicate information both to and from store management and crews

Customer Service

Assist customers with their questions, problems and complaints
Greet customers using the eye’s, hi’s and help at all times
Handle all customer relations issues (accidents) in accordance with company policy and promote a positive shopping experience for all CVS customers
Maintain customer/patient confidentiality

Merchandise/Presentation

Price merchandise
Stock shelves
Execute the display, sign and inventory of weekly, major promotional, and seasonal merchandise
Reset departments following POGs, adapting them to a particular store if necessary
Execute the display and maintenance of off-shelf merchandise

Shrinkage

Control use of register keys, securing door keys, and safe combinations
Control use of employee discount card for register management functions
Execute locking of safe and setting of alarms when closing the store
Complete random cash verifications, electronic journal tape checks
Conduct employee bag checks
Identify and react to shoplifters and apprehend to secure company assets
Maintain and react to EAS program
Monitor and react to signs of internal theft

Operations

Operate a cash register - including: cash, check and charge transactions, bagging merchandise
Identify and react to in-store repairs
Execute and document: cash/check pulls, deposits, returned check payments, check acceptance, refunds, voids, discounts, cashier verifications, rainchecks, signing crew members on/off
Deliver deposits to and secure change from the bank and balance imprest fund
Open/close store
Execute the daily cash report (DCR)
Process photofinishing activities
Assist pharmacy staff in/out of pharmacy area
Access, input and retrieve information from the computer (e-mail)
Answer telephone
Access, input and retrieve information from the computer
Load and unload deliveries
lift 35 pound trays/cases to a height of 4 feet
move trays/cases from one location to another
Schedule daily activities
Execute a walk through of the store and establish a priority list
Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures (such as cash management) and federal and state
Cut in new items, remove discontinued items and adjust facings
Check in merchandise: verify billing, document errors
Order regular merchandise, maintaining accurate inventory levels (using order guides when appropriate) through the use of the Telxon machine
Prepare and distribute reports and records: customer cash discrepancy, accident reports

Human Resources

Ensure on-the-job safety of all employees and treatment for employee injuries sustained on the job
Maintain a work place free from discrimination and harassment
Train, develop and evaluate hourly non-exempt employees
Assist customers with large purchases
taking out to vehicle
Execute the completion of check-out bulletins
Execute completion of price changes: document counts, utilize price gun
Work overstock, weekly using Telxon enhancements
Execute the display and maintenance of greeting cards
Pay vendors following vendor pay out policy
Maintenance/organization of office and back room
Execute management bulletins/action sheets
Execute store maintenance: vacuum, face/dust, sweep (back room, store exterior), clean windows, trash removal, clean rest rooms.

All that is done during the shift, some parts more than just one time. That's a lot of work if you think on it.
I like to say that even if every single person in the country got their Bachelors in a useful degree area, you'd still need folks to wash your cars, get you your food when you eat out, run your registers when you buy things, make your pizza's, do your dry cleaning, park your cars, drive your cabs, sell you your tuxedos and dresses, etc etc. Heck, even EMT's get maybe 9 to 10 an hour to save lives.

Can't really dog the low wage workers. If the country didn't have them, a lot of the conveniences we take for 'granted' wouldn't be there any more. No more ice cream cones on a hot day. No more ticket takers for the amusement parks. No more people to clean up said parks. No more landscaping jobs being done. I could go on and on.

I love what I do. I keep going back to it because it is what i love to do. I may get worked my butt OFF every day/night, but when I come home, I'm thrilled for having done it and look forward to returning the next day.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833

Don't know where you live but the cost of living there must be much cheaper than where I do (Phillyburbs). Around here, a Wal-Mart cashier makes about $10 an hour.

Its good to see you can get by on that much and have your career all planned out. If fast food is what makes you happy and keeps a good roof over your head and food on your table, then I say more power to ya.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I liked your post and appreciate your enthusiasm for what you do. From middle school kids are trained to go to college go to college go to college, but in reality that's not reality. Somewhere along the line jobs that don't require a degree were forgotten to exist despite how important they are in keeping all the cogs turning in a society.

I do have a degree, get paid very well, but I hate my damn job more than anyone can know. It would be safe to say you just might be a bit richer than myself

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Congratulations on your ability to enjoy what most people would consider to be a personal hell. I see stories like yours and it always reminds how grateful I am to have found a business that takes me no more than 3-4 hours a day half the year and still pays 75k plus.

I like my time off more than I like money. Time not working and getting to enjoy the things you love the most is like living longer. Some people take vitamins to extend their lives, I take time off to extend mine. Working less than 25% of what most people work means I will live four times longer when it comes to life experiences.

Working fast food and being happy? Well I am glad someone can do it!

BTW you will never see me or meet me as I will die a little old man before I ever eat fast food.

edit on 21-4-2014 by Mamatus because: grammer

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FortAnthem

Yeah it's a lot cheaper, definitely. When I was living in S. Illinois, if you paid over 350 a month for a 3 bdrm house, you were getting ripped off. I'm in S. Indiana now. And believe me, 350 a month to someone who originated from the Chicago burbs, I was thinking it'd be slum lord places. NOPE. Gorgeous homes you'd know up North would easily go for 150k or more - can buy them down here/there for 80k give or take. There are cons though in most areas if you don't have a car or access to someone with one, you're limited on things to do, stores to get to, etc. But the little town I was in in S. Illinois had zero crime. I loved it. It was a refreshing change from the Chicago burbs. 1000 a mth minimum for a 2 bdrm apartment around where I came from. Not worth it.

And thank you.
I've always loved this line of work because I love people and love making them happy. If one isn't happy in their job, it doesn't matter how much they make. I'd rather make peanuts and love what I'm doing, long as my bills are paid and I have something to save. That to me is how it's done. I'll die at some point. 9 an hour or 60 an hour, does it really matter at that point?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Mamatus

I hear you on that. I still get my 8 to 9 hrs of sleep a day, I still have my 'me time' every single day, especially on days off, and I have a very balanced work/self life. I may have to adjust a little once I start this second job, but even then, it's not like it will be 5 days a week. I crave my own personal time, yes. I would never 'all work and no play'. I find my jobs as being fun and recreation too, while remaining steadfast to what I need to get done, of course. It's all in all a fun place, just as being home is fun.

I guess I know how to find the fun in every situation. Plus this second job won't be for ever. Just for a few months until I move up to where I want to be.

I could never be married to my job. Yuck. But I'm loyal like a spouse while working it, that's for sure.

I'm so glad you found a great job with little hours and excellent pay. ^_^ Were we all be able to do that, it'd be wonderful.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
$350 for a 3 bedroom house? *tries to lift jaw off the floor*

I am originally from California and thought $1.2k for a 3 bedroom was cheep here in Montana.

I like how you list the job duties. A lot of people don't realize how much work goes into the lower paying jobs. My lower paying jobs were always harder work than my higher paying jobs.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
That's great if you like it, I could never do it but more power to you.
Have you ever thought of goin out on your own and opening your own restaurant? Or maybe saving and buying a franchise? With your level of experience it seems like you could be good at it.

edit on 21-4-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Yeah it's insane how much work one has to do in entry level/low wage jobs. Even fast food. When the rush comes and you're doing a 800 to 1000 dollar hour - and quite a few back to back - it's very very stressful on everyone - even waiting guests who want their food/to order. Add on to the fact that everyone expects things instantly so most places have a timed service going on now so that's pressure too. But if you have a well trained, well oiled crew and the management helps out too, the entire team can get through it, though most workers are pretty sweaty once all is said and done. Add in training a new worker, orders getting messed up (we're only human after all), guests having issues which need tended to to insure they are satisfied, spills, messes, accidents, etc., it's brutal.

I've worked in offices before. Calm, laid back, typing, air conditioning, sitting down at a desk, filing paperwork, phone calls, meetings. I do not know the full ins and outs of what most companies like that go through, nor what their equivalent to a fast food 'rush' is like or if they even ever have one (deadlines are there, no doubt) so i can't speak for that. I know they are two totally different worlds - but I do know every person who works their respected jobs usually in most cases work their proverbial butts off to earn their wages, salary or hourly. We're all just wanting to get by, save up and have some nice things when all is said and done.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Eh, I know my personal limitations and no, I'd not want to own my own. Too much of a risk and too expensive. I could become a regional supervisor at my job and have something like 4 counties worth of stores under me, and make over 100k a year, but that's too much for me. I'd be limiting out at the 10 - 13 stores that an Area Supervisor is over.

I'm not the 'own my own restaurant' kind of person at all. But it was a wonderful idea.
I appreciate you looking out for me and offering advice and suggestions. Thank you so much. ^_^

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You know what - it's AWESOME that you know yourself and what you want. You be you and do what what you do.
Keep doing a good job and ride that horse until it drops but always BOLO for greener pastures.

edit on 4/21/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Good for you. I have found that I enjoy retail and I too am planning on sticking with it. People look at me like In crazy when I say that. But I don't dread going to work and if I can move up then I will make good money.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
No offense but, I don't know why your so happy making 8$ and hour. I see your point in corporate restaurants because that's where the money is at in the industry but 8$ a hour? I've been in this biz for 15 years and have a culinary degree and think it's outrageous when companies post jobs at competitive pay and there version is 8-10 an hour. I dunno where you live but here in Huntsville alabama, competitive is 10+ a hour. How can you live on 8/hr? I have a hard time on 17/hr.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833
a reply to: rockintitz

Eh, I know my personal limitations and no, I'd not want to own my own. Too much of a risk and too expensive. I could become a regional supervisor at my job and have something like 4 counties worth of stores under me, and make over 100k a year, but that's too much for me. I'd be limiting out at the 10 - 13 stores that an Area Supervisor is over.

I'm not the 'own my own restaurant' kind of person at all. But it was a wonderful idea.
I appreciate you looking out for me and offering advice and suggestions. Thank you so much. ^_^

No problem, I know if I ever wanted to start a restaurant I'd be lucky to find someone with your expertise+someone who actually cares. Honestly you should be hunted by employers, not the other way around.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

A big secret to my success as a manager is that I approach is like I am a customer service rep. I treat my employees like my customers. The concept of "internal customers".

Do what makes you happy....you only get 1 chance on this particular life.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Uber kudos to you.

What an exceptional attitude you have.

Opportunities are what we make of them. Many people dont have your type of foresight to realize that one can progress past being the "fries guy". Way past.

But people shouldnt have to keep fighting/struggling to keep afloat.

The solution is not to raise the minimum wage by placing the burden on the small business owner.

As usual, government is unwilling to stare down the 800lb gorilla in the room: the banksters ie the Federal Reserve.

What they are doing is DESTROYING the purchasing power of the dollar by their constant borrowing, spending and increasing (or inflating ie inflation) of the money supply.

Let me just say something here in complete contrast to what EVERY establishment "economist" will tell you, deflation is NEVER a bad thing.

Deflation = lower prices. Deflation = a stronger dollar. We WANT "deflation". Its not like we export anything anyway.

But they have to tell you that deflation is bad because the are gatekeepers, protecting a debt based, central banking, monetary system which will inevitably result in higher prices.

We want gasoline to cost $1.25/gallon. We want milk to cost $1.00/gallon. We want beef to cost $2.00/pound etc.

Herein lies the true problem. A problem which politicians, with the exception of Ron Paul, are too weak and scared to deal with.

edit on 22-4-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: GroidNificent
No offense but, I don't know why your so happy making 8$ and hour. I see your point in corporate restaurants because that's where the money is at in the industry but 8$ a hour? I've been in this biz for 15 years and have a culinary degree and think it's outrageous when companies post jobs at competitive pay and there version is 8-10 an hour. I dunno where you live but here in Huntsville alabama, competitive is 10+ a hour. How can you live on 8/hr? I have a hard time on 17/hr.

I get by working $9 an hour.. I asked for 8, but then they gave me a raise on the third day because I'm just cool like that. Oh and my girl makes about $24k, and we have a "roommate" who halves our rent and doesn't live with us.. So for me living on $8/hr sounds impossible in Raleigh, NC at least. It's cool for us because one of us is getting payed on any given friday. I'm already thinking about another raise and it's only been a couple months. they will probably give it to me as I seem to be the only person who can work dish on an 800 table day and not walk out. Actually there is no easy job in the restaurant game it seems..

I like how hard it is. I feel accomplished getting everything clean and safe to use. I get a workout everyday while I work, but the best is that we close at 2PM, so I'm only there till 3:30PM at the latest on any day of the week. Still lots of time to do free things. Today is my Saturday. Peaceful and nice.

And that's life always opposing sides only working together.... Kill to Live, Sleep to be awake, Work for Freedom... The trick is enjoying the wave on the easy ride down AND the hard ride up. Otherwise waiting for your day off to "live" will kill you.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
As long as it makes you happy, who can complain? Congrats on finding a job you love.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join