It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saving The P-38 Glacier Girl From World War II.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
God I love this stuff! My Father in law a Capt. in the pacific in charge of he Black Jack Squadron flew 198 missions in a P-47 Razor back, with 9 kills in the Pacific. My uncle was a B-25 pilot, a major in the Pacific. To see these old war birds come back to life is amazing!
I remember 10 years ago about recovery. Now it has turned full circle.

Learn about “Glacier Girl,” the famous Lockheed P-38 that became stranded on the Greenland Ice Cap, from Bob Cardin, the man in charge of rescuing her, and Rod Lewis, her owner. On her way to Europe to fight in World War II, “Glacier Girl” made an emergency landing. Although the crew survived and was rescued, the aircraft remained in Greenland for the next 50 years under 268 feet of ice. After being dug out by a team of aviation enthusiasts, the airplane was repaired to flying condition, a process that took 10 years. “Glacier Girl” is now one of the most recognized and award-winning airplanes in the world.

Check out the Vid.

www.warhistoryonline.com...
edit on 21-4-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/21/2014 by Mirthful Me because: All Caps Title...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Cool video, thanks for posting that. It's amazing to see the restoration done on some of these aircraft when you look at the condition they were originally found in.

Vince

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Yeah, as an apprentice, I'm proud to say that I helped rebuild a DeHavilland Mosquito that is currently hanging in the war museum in Canberra, Australia.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Wanna buy an ME 262?
www.collingsfoundation.org...

new topics

top topics

join