It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lyrid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight: How To Watch Live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Lyrids produce about 20 meteors an hour, and they come in at 110,000 m.p.h.
I love to watch these events, but, I'll probably be asleep during the best viewing time, which will be midnight until dawn tomorrow morning, April 22. However, I thought I'd pass this on to anyone who wasn't aware that this is happening tonight.

See more awesome pictures from 2013 at this link:
www.space.com...

news.yahoo.com...

The Lyrid meteor shower peaks tonight (April 21) and if Mother Nature spoils your "shooting stars" display with bad weather, you can watch the celestial light show live online with two webcasts.

The annual Lyrid meteor shower occurs every year when Earth passes through debris left behind by Comet Thatcher, which makes a full orbit of the sun once every 415 years. At its peak this year — which is expected to happen in the pre-dawn hours Tuesday (April 22) — the Lyrid shower should produce about 20 meteors per hour. You can watch the Lyrid meteor shower webcasts on Space.com via the online Slooh community telescope and NASA.

The Slooh webcast will begin at 8 p.m. EDT (0000 April 22 GMT). You can also watch it directly on www.slooh.com. NASA's webcast will begin at 8:30 p.m. EDT (0030 April 22 GMT) and last through the night. You can follow NASA's live webcast directly at:
www.nasa.gov... Both webcasts depend on clear skies for good views of the meteor shower.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
How to watch LIVE...

Step 1: Look up!

Seriously though, thanks for the information and the reminder. I was looking for some meteors last night when I took my dog out for the last "business trip" of the night, but I didn't see any.

edit on 4/21/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. S&F It would be nice to have good shower for once I haven't seen a good one in years. And seeing how the local forecast looks for rain I won't be seeing one this year either.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The only shower right now where I live is rain, rain, rain.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Mostly cloudy here tonight as well. Doubt I'll be able to catch anything but I'm sure going to try. Thanks for reminding me OP

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There is a potental meteor storm towards the end of May 100-1000+ ZHR which would be amazing to see if we get up near 1000.

link

Has a list of all meteor showers for the year

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Please continue in the EXISTING THREAD.

top topics

join