It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am the Patriarchy

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

originally posted by: InTheLight
Yet, there is no proof this one woman was a radical feminist or any type of feminist, because the author of this thread didn't bother to start a dialogue with her but chose to let the door close on her while she was mid-way through.

We cannot know for sure, but her response suggests that she is likely to have been influenced by radical feminist ideology. Associating one man's attempted act of politeness with trying to instill the ideals of Patriarchy is ridiculous. I agree that the author could have handled the situation better, but that does not discount the substance of the OP.

It most certainly does discredit the OP's entire premise for this thread as well as his behaviour towards this woman, even if she was a feminist attempting to teach him her adopted philosophy - whatever that may have been because he didn't bother to ascertain why she didn't want him to hold the door open for her from the myriad of reasons a person may have. I believe this thread belongs in the 'rant' forum not here.
edit on 16-6-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Then I'm afraid you have failed to grasp the deeper meaning behind the post.

This is not about some guy letting a door slam on some woman because she made a snide remark. It's more about an example of a certain type of mindset that associates all men with Patriarchy and the oppression of women.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

This is not about some guy letting a door slam on some woman because she made a snide remark. It's more about an example of a certain type of mindset that associates all men with Patriarchy and the oppression of women.

I as well as others here are grasping deeper meanings from the OPs actions and jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions and then starting a feminism bashing thread (as per usual)...another certain type of mindset that associates all women that don't consider themselves helpless or at a loss without a man that they 'must' be radical feminists. (LOLing really out loud).

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I as well as others here are grasping deeper meanings from the OPs actions and jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions and then starting a feminism bashing thread (as per usual)...another certain type of mindset that associates all women that don't consider themselves helpless or at a loss without a man that they 'must' be radical feminists. (LOLing really out loud).

Don't ya love it?

And were attracted to weak men too, didn't you know?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Don't ya love it?

I only know - through actual life's experience - that weak men have always been attracted to me. Does that make me 'I am the matriarchy'?
edit on 16-6-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Don't ya love it?

I only know - through actual life's experience - that weak men have always been attracted to me. Does that make me 'I am the matriarchy'?

Ugh!

I just know I want an equal.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I consider myself a [Feminist]. I support equality for women.

Hopefully you support equality for men as well.

edit on 16-6-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yet, there is no proof this one woman was a radical feminist or any type of feminist, because the author of this thread didn't bother to start a dialogue with her but chose to let the door close on her while she was mid-way through.

There was plenty of proof. But then again you wouldn't want to be denying other people's experiences would you?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

It's you associating all women and all men into your grossly generalized categories.

I'll ask this again because I've never had an answer yet.

What rights do I have that you do not?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
My response in a similar situation was to keep the door open and say,

"I am not holding the door open because I know you are a lady: I'm holding it open because I am a gentleman."

edit on 16-6-2014 by tovenar because: punctuation saves lives

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

There was plenty of proof. But then again you wouldn't want to be denying other people's experiences would you?

Nope to both your statement and question, I am only trying to help deny ignorance.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It's you associating all women and all men into your grossly generalized categories.

I'll ask this again because I've never had an answer yet.

Neither have I from you...my standing question is 'Why did you not explain yourself as a friendly, helpful person to all people to the woman, instead of reacting with indignation and letting the door close on her while she was half-way into the door when she voiced her preference not to be assisted by you?'

As well if by chance she was a feminist (but we'll never know) why would you not respond with "More power to you" or "I meant no offence, you are heavily loaded and I'm just a helpful person"?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

a reply to: BDBinc
You should get out more. Go tell a victim of assault or abuse what you think violence is, and they'll likely laugh at you. And then make up another story so you can convince yourself you are right.

I have told a victim of assault and abuse about your actions and they did not find shutting a human being in a door funny, so its just you (and other troubled individuals) that are amused by shutting a person in a door .

Intentionally shutting someone in the door is an act of violence against a person.
In the story you told this woman that you shut in the door was not a 'feminist' she never told you " I am a 'feminist'" you just labeled her.
To me your thread just read of "LM's interpersonal reactions(and relations) with this one woman ( who exhibited disapproval towards you ) ".

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Nope to both your statement and question, I am only trying to help deny ignorance.

Says someone who wasn’t there. Interesting.

ignorance |ˈignərəns|
noun
lack of knowledge or information

There are quite a few double standards coming out of you, ITL. First you deny my experience by inserting your own imaginary one, then you deny my ignorance with your own…ignorance?

Neither have I from you...my standing question is 'Why did you not explain yourself as a friendly, helpful person to all people to the woman, instead of reacting with indignation and letting the door close on her while she was half-way into the door when she voiced her preference not to be assisted by you?'

As well if by chance she was a feminist (but we'll never know) why would you not respond with "More power to you" or "I meant no offence, you are heavily loaded and I'm just a helpful person"?

My answer to your question is: why should I? I have expressed my reasoning why I didn't handle it differently numerous times already. My crime is that I obliged someone their request.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BDBinc

I have told a victim of assault and abuse about your actions and they did not find shutting a human being in a door funny, so its just you (and other troubled individuals) that are amused by shutting a person in a door .

Intentionally shutting someone in the door is an act of violence against a person.
In the story you told this woman that you shut in the door was not a 'feminist' she never told you " I am a 'feminist'" you just labeled her.
To me your thread just read of "LM's interpersonal reactions(and relations) with this one woman ( who exhibited disapproval towards you ) “.

It’s because you told a completely different story. I didn’t intentionally shut someone in a door. That is your complete fantastical imagination drawing conclusions where your reason can not.

And you label me, someone you’ve never met nor never interacted with, a “troubled individual”. Complete projection and double-standards.

violence |ˈvī(ə)ləns|
noun
behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
• strength of emotion or an unpleasant or destructive natural force: the violence of her own feelings.
• Law the unlawful exercise of physical force or intimidation by the exhibition of such force.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

I consider myself a [Feminist]. I support equality for women.

Hopefully you support equality for men as well.

I support mandatory DNA testing for paternity.

That's equal, considering the woman can't lie about who the mother is.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It seems you weren't present during this interaction with the woman either - in reading your answer to another poster..."I did not let the door go intentionally."...so, just how did you let the door go? In an indignant fixed trance - reactionary choice #1?

Is that how you oblige someone's request by letting a door close on them? What happened to the friendly, helpful person you claim you are?

In your mind you have absolutely no additional rights than I do, but in my and others' reality those rights are NOT applied equally in many instances - those specific instances that I have expressed and posted links to above (which you obviously didn't bother to read).

www.universityaffairs.ca...

This 'I am the patriarchy' rant is a commonplace attempt at feminist bashing through generalization with unsubstantiated information created only in your mind and I was somewhat surprised that it came from you as some of your other offerings here on ATS have intellectual merit. But, I now see where you are coming from and that place is not cool.
edit on 17-6-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Trying to make me out to be evil and shaming me is pretty low, especially from someone who is basically claiming herself to be morally superior, and will not help you avoid the question. This seems a common feminist tactic. I guess if reason fails, it's time to resort to the fallacy.

I'm not going to read your links. You have your own mind and can use it.

What rights do I have as a man, do you not have as a woman?

We can talk about this inequality you've been pushing if you can at least back up your dogma.

edit on 17-6-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Trying to make me out to be evil and shaming me is pretty low, especially from someone who is basically claiming herself to be morally superior, and will not help you avoid the question. This seems a common feminist tactic. I guess if reason fails, it's time to resort to the fallacy.

I'm not going to read your links. You have your own mind and can use it.

What rights do I have as a man, do you not have as a woman?

We can talk about this inequality you've been pushing if you can at least back up your dogma.

As I stated previously, I honestly did not understand your behaviour (but it is all too clear now) and I and other posters here wanted you to explain to us why you opted for this type of indignant (some call it violent and self-amusing) reaction rather than one of exploratory questioning (to ascertain her stance and philosophy) and/or explaining your actions were helpful intentions not meant in an offending way - because you claimed that you are a friendly and helpful person, to which your behaviour belies your claims in this event. But for making those personal claims, I would have ignored this improperly placed thread and went on my merry way seeking intellectually-stimulating discussions and friendly and fun people here.

Since you refuse to read any information I offer, then you will have to do your own research, then perhaps (with a bit of luck) you may even absorb some of the truths of inequality that face women in all walks of life and cultures.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

In other words you cannot answer the question. That's all you had to say.

If you're more concerned about my behavior, the one who literally did as he was asked, then I imagine that social interaction isn't your area of expertise.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join