It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans Awakening to Media 'Race Baiting' ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rustyclutch
a reply to: FriedBabelBroccoli

Wasnt aware I had to be born in Africa to be black. You are one of those angry internet trolls arent you? If you are pointing out the fact that there were white slaves, I acknowledge this. There were white slaves on British controlled land though. So it still all falls back on Britain. If I'm not mistaken the Irish still dont consider themselves British and are still under occupation. I put the blame squarely on the people who gained the most from it. Brits still controlled Africa until the 60's. They still own all of the resources. This was done all over the world. Canada, Australia, New guinea. When I speak of racism I dont speak of it in the context of just the United States because it is a global problem. Not just in the old days but currently, because the systems and institutions set up under the old colonial days still exist and Brittain is still the prime benefactor. So again. Your argument is dead.

I can't even figure out what point you are trying to make . . .

The closest thing I can come up with is something something institutional racism . . .

-FBB

/Edit
You start your post talking about how the issue is really racism, then you move on to using the term 'reverse racism' seriously (lol), then you jump over to the issue of classism being the root of all the problems, then back to blaming the British.

Your argument is simply not coherent.
edit on 20-4-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rustyclutch
a reply to: FriedBabelBroccoli

Wasnt aware I had to be born in Africa to be black. You are one of those angry internet trolls arent you? If you are pointing out the fact that there were white slaves, I acknowledge this. There were white slaves on British controlled land though. So it still all falls back on Britain.

Actually he was probably alluding (in a slightly angry-internet-troll-post kind of way) to the fact that most slaves were not captured by European slavers, they were bought from tribes that had captured and enslaved members of other tribes. He might also have been alluding to Anthony Johnson, but not very clearly if that was the intention.

Regardless of the origin of the slaves, the British - along with most of the main world powers - were heavily involved in the trade. Without their support, it probably would not have flourished in the way that it did. It would not have stopped, certainly, as there was historically quite a strong slave trade within Africa that predates European arrival, and there is little reason to assume that would not have continued.

Some Irish people do consider themselves British, that's why there is a split between Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK, due to the prevalence of people who see themselves as British) and the Irish Republic, which is completely independent.

I'm not really with you on Britain still being the prime benefactor of many of the resources, especially in Africa. I think China is making much more headway in resource extraction these days.

Also, could you clarify the "systems and institutions" set up that are still directly contributing to racism? There are undoubtedly some, I'm just interested to know which ones you have identified.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Kudos, you put a lot more thought into deconstructing my comment then I actually put into it. My first post was the only one which actually presented my opinion on the matter. The opinion that when people grow up and start making decisions for themselves instead of listening to rabble rousers this essentially becomes a moot point. Too bad most people rely on the approval of authority figures to make their decisions.

The rest of them were just incoherent to elicit a response from OP that sheds light on how they really view the matter.

-FBB
edit on 20-4-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: FriedBabelBroccoli
I think the focus is being shifted from old methods to new ones, like "reverse-racism." I can't think of a much more ridiculous term and then there is the new institutionalized racism which is often used as a substitute for regular racism.

People who feel disenfranchised are going to find someone to blame.

The whole "papers please" nonsense is blown completely out of proportion by rabble rousers who want to feel important. Here in Arizona we have a bad reputation as some extremely racist state which absolutely laughable. You might find one here or there, but when I go around and actually talk to real humans it turns out to be very rare. We even have a large population of Californians on the Uni campus and most of them actually admit that they were surprised at how different things actually are.

There is a vast difference in opinion between the social 'justice' majors and the rest of the population.

I remember back in middle school I lost some of my best friends because their bigot parents kept telling them I was a white boy so I was secretly racist. No joke, I ran into a few later and was flabbergasted when I got an apology.

This problem will start to fade away as the youth grow up, grow a pair, and actually start making their own decisions.

-FBB

What's happening in Arizona is a good example of race baiting. Arizona shares the border with Mexico, and there is an enormous problem with Illegal Immigration which impacts local and state economies and society as a whole. Yet, whenever citizens or the state government attempt to take action to curb said Illegal Immigration, such as securing the border with Mexico, some in the media and some politicians make subtle and veiled attempts to label those Arizonans who are oppossed to Illegal Immigrants as "racists".

It is classic blame shift...
"If you stand against Illegal Immigration, than you must be a racist" type thinking and rationalization...that is utter non-sense and a clear tactic by some to manipulate the minds of the American people.
edit on 21-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Got deeply into race-baiting again today. There was this racing track and these replica formula one cars. Me and my pals were sitting around and I kept daring them to race against me, using a bunch of smack talk. It worked!!!!! One of the best car races I've had in years.

Also much safer to do it on a track than on public streets!

That said, do I believe that the media is race baiting and the public awakening to it? Well, one could argue that all these car and car-race movies are baiting people to race with each other. Then there are athletic movies which bait people to race against each other on foot and by swimming. But that's not necessarily a bad thing!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join