It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lone Survivor Movie

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
First off Marcus Luttrell is an arrogant ass. He also has flat out exaggerated the events that took place. These 4 guys made rookie mistakes period. Lots of military and other experts have examined his story and the events that took place. His book is even worse than the movie.

Anyways because of their mistakes a lot of people ie other Seals and troops died rescuing them and we hear very little about them. Why was a ship named after Murphy and not for example the pilots who died trying to rescue them? SEALS aren't the end all be all of special ops. I get sick of seeing them glorified as the best. Lots of Spec Ops are as bad ass as the Seals. MARSOC, PJs, Green Berets, etc.

Thank you, finally a person that has his head in a place where the sun does shine.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: PandorasBoxxx
a reply to: semperfortis

Ok whatever but if you think that the events as portrayed in the movie were an example of militairy excellence or smart thinking in general I can't take you too seriously.

Taking me seriously is completely irrelevant

It is obvious that you have never been in combat and so have nothing of substance to offer someone who has

The movie was for entertainment

That is all

Semper

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I thought it was in the memory of his fallen comrades.

I also see the matter of importance is wether or not a person has been in combat, like you, right?

The movie was for entertainment

So does this mean that you agree that the events as portrayed in the movie are not to be taken seriously, and are to be seen as entertainment. This was exactly the point I was making to you.

edit on 20-4-2014 by PandorasBoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: PandorasBoxxx

Yeah and how much money is actually going to vets? I've heard Wounded Warrior has been accused of wasting money and not a lot goes to actual vets.
Marcus is a narcissist who loves attention. He's also the prototypical right wing bible beater.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
Have some respect for people who put their lives on the line for you.

For me?
I thought they were putting their lives on the line for America's disgusting, imperialistic, corporative foreign policy..

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

I just recently watched "The Lone Survivor" with Mark Wahlberg. It's based on true story about a 4 man Seal team on a mission in Afghanistan.

What was your combat experience?
How many firefights have you been in?
Better yet, in your current job, how many chaotic situations have you been in?
My guess is it is the same answer to all of the above which is 0 because if you had been you would know that unexpected situations often turn chaotic in multiple ways.

When Hurricane Sandy hit the infrastructure where I work was impacted in multiple ways by multiple communication , human and technical failures..wish you would have been involved with that telling everyone how they were "frack-ups"

Worth repeating and will add .....
Armchair critics don't have a CLUE how they would respond in any given situation...unless they were there.
Try walking a few with a gunshot wound.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

For me?
I thought they were putting their lives on the line for America's disgusting, imperialistic, corporative foreign policy..

say that to the kids they left behind.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: palmalBlue2

originally posted by: opethPA

I just recently watched "The Lone Survivor" with Mark Wahlberg. It's based on true story about a 4 man Seal team on a mission in Afghanistan.

What was your combat experience?
How many firefights have you been in?
Better yet, in your current job, how many chaotic situations have you been in?
My guess is it is the same answer to all of the above which is 0 because if you had been you would know that unexpected situations often turn chaotic in multiple ways.

When Hurricane Sandy hit the infrastructure where I work was impacted in multiple ways by multiple communication , human and technical failures..wish you would have been involved with that telling everyone how they were "frack-ups"

Worth repeating and will add .....
Armchair critics don't have a CLUE how they would respond in any given situation...unless they were there.
Try walking a few with a gunshot wound.

The post you qouted and your subsequent post have absolutely no bearing on my OP whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You want to hear about my experiences? We have group at the Stratton VA hospital every Thursday so feel free to U2U me for times and directions. This forum however isn't the place for that type of discussion and its not the topic of your OP so I'd prefer not to derail the thread by measuring dicks. With that said, I not once implied anything remotely in the neighborhood of the vastness of my combat experience, I simply called you out for sitting behind the anonymity of your keyboard talking down about things I'm forced to assume you know next to nothing about.

You want a break? Just clarify your agenda and be honest about it as opposed to the delusional ramblings I've read through for several pages of this thread. What you fail to acknowledge or understand is that in a combat scenario, particularly when you are out of communication with your command structure and facing off against vastly superior numbers in unfamiliar terrain, is that no matter what the play book calls for or what your orders are that inevitably your squad leader is going to be forced to call an audible or 3. There isn't a script in this type of scenario. There are no good or bad tactical decisions when its you and the rest of your team facing off against a force larger than a company who have lived their entire lives on the mountain in question. Were there screw ups in the COC? Absolutely. But you're trying to make it out like there are hard and fast rules these guys should have followed. You can't take me seriously yet you're mocking dedicated, well trained men and the decisions they were forced to make while under heavy fire from all sides based on a fictitious account in a film. You're out of your mind. You don't have a clue what was happening on the ground or what their orders were other than a brief synopsis from a film. I wasn't in the Navy and I never had the opportunity to work with SEAL's so I know better than to pass judgement on men who I didn't know, because I know the type of men they were.

There is no valor in braggadocio and I won't be goaded into it by the likes of you. Just remember it was people like them and myself and many others n ATS, who enlisted so that you have the right to hide behind your keyboard and say whatever you want. You might want to show a little respect or at the least have a clue about what you're trying to bring to the table.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
You make some excellent points & TBH the film makes the fieldcraft skills of the Seals look very poor. I understand it's only a movie & they will have re-structured the true events somewhat but even so, it's almost as if they were deliberately trying to make them seem inept. The Film wasn't even that good, i'm surprised it did so well, although that may have been (at least in part) because it was a "True Story"! a reply to: PandorasBoxxx

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

You want to hear about my experiences?

Couldn't care less. I have no idea why you think I would want that.

This forum however isn't the place for that type of discussion and its not the topic of your OP so I'd prefer not to derail the thread by measuring dicks.

If you read back it is you that was asking me about my combat experience. It seems you are the one that wanted to see my dick. I have no interest at all in seeing your dick.

With that said, I not once implied anything remotely in the neighborhood of the vastness of my combat experience, I simply called you out for sitting behind the anonymity of your keyboard talking down about things I'm forced to assume you know next to nothing about.

Right, you didn't imply that you are a vet? You sure did just now.

We have group at the Stratton VA hospital every Thursday

Oh, so you must be a vet right?

You can't take me seriously yet you're mocking dedicated, well trained men and the decisions they were forced to make while under heavy fire from all sides based on a fictitious account in a film.

First of all, I questioned the decisions that led up to the firefight. Second I questioned the events as presented in the movie. You seem to agree that they are fictitious now but earlier you attacked me for questioning the realism of events in the movie.

There is no valor in braggadocio and I won't be goaded into it by the likes of you. Just remember it was people like them and myself and many others n ATS, who enlisted so that you have the right to hide behind your keyboard and say whatever you want. You might want to show a little respect or at the least have a clue about what you're trying to bring to the table.

Lol. This is the most retarted mantra I keep hearing the supporters of imperialistic wars drivel from their delusional and brainwashed minds.

None of you fighting in the "war on terror" have made the slightest difference in my freedom. I owe you absolutely nothing.

But hey keep convincing yourself that it is worthwhile. Idiots.

edit on 21-4-2014 by ObeseCEO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ObeseCEO

Couldn't care less. I have no idea why you think I would want that.

maybe because the mighty keyboard warrior had this to say, albeit mockingly so-

It seems I am one of the few that is not going around implying the existance of his own combat experience. I get it, you guys are all tough vets but you are not going to talk about it, you are just going to ask others about theirs while making sure that it shines through that you actually were in combat yourselves.

Gimme a break.

the fact that you have not served is glaringly apparent via your mockery of those who have. the respect you show is what you will receive in return yet you whine in the post after this one about being banned because you really don't see how foolish you are coming off.

If you read back it is you that was asking me about my combat experience. It seems you are the one that wanted to see my dick. I have no interest at all in seeing your dick.

nice way of avoiding the issue that you had been making implications about operators and scenarios you clearly don't have the ability to appropriately judge, but sure, lets make this about other people in the thread as opposed to owning the massive amount of cognitive dissonance that has tethered itself to your own ignorance.

Oh, so you must be a vet right?

and here I thought hooked on phonics wasn't working. Obviously you can read, you're just selective about the comprehension side of the equation. Prior to my last response to you, I had made no such allusions though I admit that in light of the rancor of my response it was likely apparent.

First of all, I questioned the decisions that led up to the firefight. Second I questioned the events as presented in the movie. You seem to agree that they are fictitious now but earlier you attacked me for questioning the realism of events in the movie.

I think its well past time for your diaper to be changed if you think someone asking a question is equitable to a personal attack. I disputed your understanding of one of the main premises that made it a compelling story and then asked quite simply what your experience was related to ops of this nature, which in context of your bashing of mission parameters was, in my opinion, rather appropriate. It's like having a kindergarten student pontificating about what is wrong with quantum mechanics, there's simply no basis for the judgment levied.

Lol. This is the most retarted mantra I keep hearing the supporters of imperialistic wars drivel from their delusional and brainwashed minds.

ahhh... from the mouths(or fingers) of babes

None of you fighting in the "war on terror" have made the slightest difference in my freedom. I owe you absolutely nothing.

But hey keep convincing yourself that it is worthwhile. Idiots.

Please, continue with the level of entertainment here. I'm getting one heck of a kick out of watching the display of ignorant pride continue to escalate. FYI, I didn't take part in the war on terror. You once again, haven't the foggiest notion of, well, anything. The only idiot on display is yourself. Carry on...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: palmalBlue2

originally posted by: Tucket

For me?

say that to the kids they left behind.

If they actually understood the reasons for being sent over seas, I wonder if they would still leave their kids behind?
I guess many would right?..motivated by things like call of duty, patriotism, or having to make a living/support a family.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

maybe because the mighty keyboard warrior had this to say, albeit mockingly so-

I still don´t see how the comment you qouted leads you to believe that I was asking about your combat experience.

the fact that you have not served is glaringly apparent via your mockery of those who have. the respect you show is what you will receive in return yet you whine in the post after this one about being banned because you really don't see how foolish you are coming off.

I never claimed I served. It seems you guys are obsessed with wether a person served or not.

Also, do you feel I had said anything in this thread that would warrant a ban? If so, what exactly?

I think its well past time for your diaper to be changed if you think someone asking a question is equitable to a personal attack.

For clarity, this was your "question", in response to my response to a poster whom I had asked about the level of realism and sound miliairy conduct as presented in the movie.

Well thank goodness we've got our very own keyboard warrior here to teach all the vets on ATS about how to run an OP. I await your burning enlightenment with great eagerness.

nice way of avoiding the issue that you had been making implications about operators and scenarios you clearly don't have the ability to appropriately judge, but sure, lets make this about other people in the thread as opposed to owning the massive amount of cognitive dissonance that has tethered itself to your own ignorance.

Again I was reviewing the movie which is based on a true story and to which the lone survivor was an advisor. It´s his story.

I didn´t avoid any issue, I just responded to your false statement about me wanting to hear your experiences.

Prior to my last response to you, I had made no such allusions

I think you did, I did pick up that you were a vet anyway.

ahhh... from the mouths(or fingers) of babes

Right, can you expand on how your service has had an effect on my freedom?

FYI, I didn't take part in the war on terror.

In what war did you fight that had any influence on my current freedom?

WW2?

edit on 21-4-2014 by ObeseCEO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
You have the right to your opinion OP.
I liked the movie. A good story line, guns blazing, an opportunity for Marcus to share the story of his brothers, and to remind the average joe what our military personnel go through while we are here sleeping soundly.
R.I.P to the SEALs that died on the hill sides that day, and to those going in to try and save them. Must have been crazy going into a hot LZ like that.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join