It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swan attacks man, man drowns!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
There is a pair of swans that nests in a cove near one of the marinas by here and they travel all around to the different parks on the water. I have friends that dock at this particular marina. Although normally I would give a swan all the space and respect it was due, esp. when they are with their babies, the pair near the docks had become really used to people and hand outs.

They would make some kind of noises like they were nervous or agitated, but they would swim right up to you and eat from your hands. I would let them bite right on my fingers to take the food, it didn't really hurt. They have bony projections in their bills that are like teeth, but not really sharp, and their bite wasn't that hard. But they can get mad, start hissing and come after you sometimes using their wings, probably when you don't have food to offer them.

I know geese are really bad and will kill a dog or tear their eye balls right out of the sockets, so I give geese and swans lots of room.

Like I say, there is no such thing as a timid woodland creature.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I've been attacked by one of those things...got too close to its nest. It latched onto my thigh for several seconds and left a nasty bruise. Never would have thought a bird could bite that hard. If it had grabbed just a little higher and to the left it might have ended my baby making days.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The Swans Act of 1553 enacted by King Edward VI,
supplemented and modified by Elizabeth I in 1576,
never repealed, the act remains in legal statute, and is still enforceable.

The law basically means that all mute swans in the UK are personal property of the reigning monarch, unless the monarch makes a gift of said swan. Swans that have been gifted, have a mark carved into their beaks. Unmarked beaks means the swan is the property of the monarch.

The act also makes it illegal to interfere with, or intentionally harm the birds. It also makes it illegal to collect their eggs, or interfere with or damage their nest. It also makes it illegal to intentionally pollute any waters being used by swans.

Swans are the most protected bird in the UK.

Given this, I am suprised that the worker was allowed to even approach the birds.

If you have ever seen a mute swan out of the water, you will appreciate just how big and heavy and powerful they are. They can easily attack and overpower a full grown man, especially when in the water. The water is their habitat, not ours, and yes, they can break bones, quite easily in fact.

It is sad that the man died. My best wishes go to his family.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
Swans are the most protected bird in the UK.

Given this, I am suprised that the worker was allowed to even approach the birds.

Easy, this was not in the UK.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
OMG, can you imagine telling people how you lost your loved one? They'd be like...WHAT? What a way to go, poor guy!

There are many strange deaths. One of the most unusual was the man jogging on the beach wearing earphones and was hit by a glider plane. He didn't hear it coming.

Strange Deaths

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

There was a show on Spike TV, 1,000 Ways to Day, that catalogued a veritable cornucopia of bizarre deaths. Of course, they were partial to the raunchy ones, but there were some really weird ones as I recall from the episodes I caught.

Nevermind, I looked it up and it was mostly fake.

But there are still some pretty bad ways to go.

edit on 20-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Male swans and geese can be very territorial and hyper aggressive at times. The first and only animal I've ever been personally attacked by is a goose, I was 4, it kicked my ass.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientEruditeSapien
Male swans and geese can be very territorial and hyper aggressive at times. The first and only animal I've ever been personally attacked by is a goose, I was 4, it kicked my ass.

I was chased by a goose. I had a carrier bag full of books and told that bird "one more step bird....". You bet that goose would have been beat down.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
on my hit list

Pencils can be just as dangerous in the hands of an idiot too.
You are an Idiot, it is NOT the fault of the bird.

The boater, or the business providing the boat must insure life jackets are available.
Illinois It's the Law: Required Equipment
A personal watercraft may not be operated unless each
person on board is wearing a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
www.dnr.illinois.gov...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Sure wouldn't want to explain that one in Heaven.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP
That will teach me not to skim-read, eh.

Sorry.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

On a related note, I was attacked by a small bird the other day. As I was walking past this clothing store it came up behind me and landed on my head, wildly flapping its wings. I turned around and it flew up into the nearest tree. When I went to walk away it came back and did the same thing again on the back of my head. Then it flew back into the tree again and watched me like it was mad. I wasn't hurt but it was pretty freaky.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join