It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you changed since you've come to ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
My ATS experience has been very interesting to say the least.

Since joining in 2008 I've been introduced to many concepts and points of views not previously seen nor experienced in my daily grinds. Not all have been positive but still entertaining. Over the years I've enjoyed many debates, arguments and realizations. Some were affirmations others ran contrary to my previously held points of views but all in all well worth the time researching for replies on topics of interest.

If anything, ATS made me research previously held beliefs and new ideas. I've also learned a great deal about 'Group think' dynamics *although probably not by any conventional manner. My personal life outside ATS has drastically changed due to real world events not related to the site but all through them ATS proved to be a healthy distraction and escape.

It has also given me a unique medium in which to express, share and debate while receiving both Pro-Con feedback on some of my unconventional outside the box theories on many interesting topics esp regarding Ancient Cultures/Civilizations.

Much respect.

edit on 27-7-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Yes, I have changed quit a bit.

I've found that I've become more skeptical and prone to reserving judgement until solid evidence and facts are presented on a given subject.

There are so many lies, distortions and half-truths in the topics discussed that I have learned to look at things more objectively....instead of diving in head first.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I think i have become even more skeptical since joining ATS.
However this is IMO both good and bad, good as in i will take more time looking up facts and reading opinions before believing anything, bad as in I might actually write something off as BS when it might just be true.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
So, I have grown far more skeptical in regards to accepting claims..which is a good thing I think. Skepticism allows you to filter out a whole bunch of crap and by that process, uncover the few actual gems...

This for me as well. I came here thinking I knew stuff, found out I didn't, and now understand that I am not alone.
I have learned things that make some of the conspiracies here outright silly. And the way the believers cling to them is sad and amusing at the same time. I still hold out hope for Bigfoot. I'd like that one to be true, no matter how loony it seems.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

My question to you is, have you grown and evolved since you've been coming to this site?

I've learned that all of the different viewpoints here can change your perspective.

I've learned that while your core beliefs will always be your core beliefs and those are what drives you through the day, different perspectives allow you to understand your core beliefs better.

I've learned that while you can change in that way in a manner that is online, you have to shut off your computer, get up off your duff and apply those changes to your day to day life. There is no substitute for reality.

I've learned that change is a verb.

What topic has intrigued and changed you the most?

Social issues. It took me 40 years, but I'm finally starting to give a sh*t about what happens to other people.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
ATS has helped me open my mind a bit. Sure there is a lot, and I mean a lot, of useless non educational threads but who doesn't like a Nibiru thread now and again, lol. I absolutely can not follow politics, I refuse to. But it has opened my mind to the likes of Ron Paul who I may not have given a shot at all. Some of my favorite topics are the potential cures for Cancer. I've read soo many of those that could one day save my life or a loved ones. The medicinal benefits of hemp or mary jane. I mean the list goes on.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Actually, I have become more skeptical. I came here pretty open to conspiracies, supernatural, aliens, etc...and figured this was the best place to get the best information on any said topics...and it is, don't get me wrong. ATS is leagues above pretty much any other place I checked online...
And I found the research done is often lacking, the people putting forth fairly outlandish claims often boil it down to they know some super truth that is backed by nothing significant and if anyone disagrees, they are sheep, etc.

So, I have grown far more skeptical in regards to accepting claims..which is a good thing I think. Skepticism allows you to filter out a whole bunch of crap and by that process, uncover the few actual gems...

So, cheers ATS.

I am in this boat! I have been a member of ATS since 2008, and lurking since 2007. I very very rarely post here now, but I do browse here and there, especially when a new world event pops up as I'm always interested in reading what the members of ATS have to offer. There are some really intelligent members here on ATS who I have very much enjoyed reading their thoughts on the rabbit hole we all live in.

I also posted a thread a while back on my feelings about the site and my changed/evolved perspective in general.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's crazy though, when I am away for a very long time and then come back, how easy it feels that one can be sucked back in to the doom and gloom and paranoia. Not that there isn't anything to be worried about in the current state of the world, however I have been through countless SHTF threads since 2007, and my personal life is not much changed since then. Just as it's enlightening to take a trip down the rabbit hole sometimes, it can be just as therapuetic to crawl your back up for some sunshine!

Cool topic, thanks for posting.

edit on 4-8-2014 by seeker11 because: typo

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

How much have I changed since I joined?

I joined in nov. of 2005, and I was hard core right wing, though not to the extent of some here. My exposure to other trains of thought from members who I've come to deeply respect, and like, taught me to look at things from other angles. You know who you are...:p

I did that already, but not to the extent that I do now. I'm still a bit right of center in most of my views. ATS has taught me to listen to other views. It's also taught me that there is more than one route to the truth.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yes ATS catalyzed my journey faster than anything i had experienced, and the time record of my posts will show the evolution of my thought as i journeyed toward the goal of the discovery of personal meaning.

i now know i cannot even explain things to other people without knowing their paradigm and explaining it in relation to that paradigm. Because The whole thing makes sense when looked at from the right perspective, otherwise it appears as paradox.

Everything is important, fact fiction or lie. Going through this website gives vibrant examples of all of this

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I enjoy topics in several forums: Space Exploration, Fragile Earth, breaking news, medicine. At ATS, I am able to get beyond the spoon-fed headlines, and that has opened my world view. It's a smart, smart place, filled with comments that make me think. ATS makes me want to learn and read. And I no longer turn on the news and digest every word. I question it.

edit on 5-8-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I use several news sources I hadn't even heard of before joining.
I am much more of an all around skeptic.
I realize how much peoples opinions bother others.
I am convinced our society is getting lazier and more naive.
I have shunned political parties.
My neck hurts

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Of course, for me I used to post on "Answers.com" and a variety of other boards, as a result of expressing my thoughts into writing - or typing - my skills at iterating my thoughts into words has increaced. Without such sites I would lack the ability to adequatley express my thoughts. And I have been expressing many thoughts on ATS, the best part is, is that I can read from others whom have had the same thoughts as my own, and this brings me a sense of validaton.

When it comes to my mind at large, I have gone through many different stages, the paranoid stage I think has passed for me, now I am starting to think laterally, and also trying to be the devils advocate when I come across mainstream conspiracy topics.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I've grown up with ATS (I've been here for longer than it may appear). I've been through many phases and topics on this site: from being ignorant (in the worst sense of the term), to experimenting with the paranormal and spiritual among others, and finally to the lurker stage. The diversity of opinion here has influenced me greatly. It has helped me see my own bias and to be open to and accepting of other people's opinions. I owe ATS and its members a great deal.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join