Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Can A Laser Control Weather? Scientists Have Found A Way

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Scientists have known this was possible, but getting the laser to the cloud was always a problem. The beam was weak and could easily be intercepted. So scientists at University of Arizona and the University of Central Florida figured out a way to make the beam strong enough so it can make it to the clouds. By using a second beam to power the beam intended for the cloud. The second beam is a lower intensity but it allows the higher intensity beam to extend from a few centimeters to a few meters.

The US Department of Defense funded the research for about $75 million because the laser has the ability to do more than alter the weather.

Can A Laser Control Weather? Scientists Have Found A Way

You caught that last part right?

The US Department of Defense funded the research for about $75 million because the laser has the ability to do more than alter the weather.

Now that is the truly scary bit and they don't bother to elaborate on just what more this laser can do?

Okay so on the coolness factor, this is the kind of thing that could get Calif. and the entire SW out of it's current drought. And before someone else says it... No I have no idea if breaking the drought in the western states would in turn cause a drought in the eastern half of the country. It's an old argument revolving around cloud seeding for decades and I don't remember there being any studies done one way or the other?

When exactly the beam will be used to control the weather is still unknown

probably because DOD is busy testing for those 'Other' things it can do

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

It's great that they can do this, if they can do this. But who is going to assume liability if they try to say, defuse a tornado or hurricane and something goes wrong and it gets worse?

Seems like a dangerous toy to me.
Even the aspects of testing the ability of such a laser, could impact thousands of people.

As for a weapon, who you going to blame the weather man?
Great weapon idea, better then a bomb if you ask me.
edit on 4/19/2014 by AnteBellum because: add

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum
1971 Aug., Hanoi, North Vietnam: heavy rains flooded the Red River Delta, killing 100,000.

1972 Feb. 26, Man, W. Va.: a slag-pile dam collapsed under pressure of torrential rains, flooding 17-mi valley, killing more than 118.June 9–10, Rapid City, S.D.: flash flood caused 237 deaths and $160 million in damage.

1975 Aug. 5, Yangtze River, China: 63 dams failed, killing an estimated 80,000 to 200,000 people from floods and subsequent famine. The Chinese government never acknowledged the event.

1993 June–Aug., Ill., Iowa, Kan., Ky., Minn., Mo., Neb., N.D., S.D., Wis.: flooding of the Mississippi River and tributaries caused 50 deaths and about $12 billion in damage. Almost 70,000 left homeless.

2013 Sept. 12, Colorado: flash floods around Boulder, Colorado, cause massive damage, cutting off highways, destroying hundreds of homes and killing at least six people. More than 800 people are unaccounted for in Boulder and Larimer Counties. The flooding is due to heavy rains producing record levels of rainfall.

I don't know about you, but the idea of weaponization of a weather laser scares the crap out of me

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Why do I suspect that this is really old news but is only coming to light now? Perhaps hurricanes Erin on 9/11, Katrina, Sandy and the recent one in the Philippines made me wonder if the technology is perhaps in use already or tried already at sea? They all seemed manipulated to me.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Since DOD put up the money for research I can see them building a second more powerful version of their own.
After all the Air Force as been putting laser weapons in planes for a couple of decades now.
bet a new more powerful version would just give them a geekgasm!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Haha. A geekgasm? Now on top of the other reasons I come to ATS, I can add new vocabulary to the list.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The utter insanity of such weaponisation....leads me to wonder about the sanity of the researchers who produced it as well as the minds at DARPA that are weaponising it.....
Didn't scientists learn anything after building the atom bomb and setting us up for an extinction level event......
Science has lost its way here again......duh

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
a reply to: aboutface

Since DOD put up the money for research I can see them building a second more powerful version of their own.
After all the Air Force as been putting laser weapons in planes for a couple of decades now.
bet a new more powerful version would just give them a geekgasm!

The USS Ponce, (yes that is the correct name) was deployed just this year with a LASER weapon, I think others are to follow. It's the same set-up I'm near sure.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I know the new USS Zumwalt will be conducting sea trials for a electromagnetic rail gun.
with all the super high tech stuff the Navy has put aboard that ship I bet it gets one of these new lasers too.

Oh and an FYI to Aboutface...Geekgasm is not a new word.
to define just wait until the next new IPhone comes out and you see all those hundreds of people lined up to get one.
it's the folks leaving the store with their shiny new toy who are experiencing a geekgasm.

Found a photo of the The US Navy’s new solid-state Laser Weapon System (LaWS)

here's what they had to say about it

USS Ponce — a fairly unextraordinary amphibious ship (pictured above) — will be outfitted with the Laser Weapon System (LaWS). LaWS will be put through some at-sea testing in the Persian (Arabian) Gulf, after which it will be capable of shooting down drones or disabling small attack boats (including suicide bombing missions) at an energy cost of just $1 per shot.

pretty cool stuff but I guess I just expected this weather laser to be--- well--- bigger?
this looks more like an overgrown telescope.
Unless their doing something silly like trying to pass off a photo of a telescope as a laser because they don't want anyone to know what the real deal looks like?
edit on 19-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The more they make public, the more they just want you to know they have been doing it for years. Trust me on that.

Don’t Think The US Military Is Concerned With The Climate? Think Again

Possibles effect of weather modification:

Greatly reduced overall global rainfall.

Completely disrupted global hydrological cycle

Loss of blue skies and direct sunlight, thus effecting photosynthesis

Greatly increased global drought

Greatly diminished crop yields

Decimated ozone layer. Northern and Southern hemispheres

Contaminated soils

Contaminated waters

Contaminated atmosphere and breathable air column

Unquantifiable negative impacts to all life forms

Increased dry lightning strikes creating record forest fires

Possible triggering of climate feed back loops like methane hydrate and clathrate releases

PDF: HERE

There was a readers digest I saw a while back with all sorts of info about weather modding as well. I found it while cleaning out the basement of a nursing home. I will see if I can dig anything up.

edit on 19-4-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
a reply to: smurfy

I know the new USS Zumwalt will be conducting sea trials for a electromagnetic rail gun.
with all the super high tech stuff the Navy has put aboard that ship I bet it gets one of these new lasers too.

Oh and an FYI to Aboutface...Geekgasm is not a new word.
to define just wait until the next new IPhone comes out and you see all those hundreds of people lined up to get one.
it's the folks leaving the store with their shiny new toy who are experiencing a geekgasm.

Found a photo of the The US Navy’s new solid-state Laser Weapon System (LaWS)

here's what they had to say about it

USS Ponce — a fairly unextraordinary amphibious ship (pictured above) — will be outfitted with the Laser Weapon System (LaWS). LaWS will be put through some at-sea testing in the Persian (Arabian) Gulf, after which it will be capable of shooting down drones or disabling small attack boats (including suicide bombing missions) at an energy cost of just $1 per shot.

pretty cool stuff but I guess I just expected this weather laser to be--- well--- bigger?
this looks more like an overgrown telescope.

That's right, the railguns are coming, but they'll need a ship to go with them with enough power to drive the railguns.
In some ways the LASER weapen will also need more and more power up to the the megawatt level, the area where they could bring down fighters and missiles. USS Ponce's system is 100KW. My guess is that even now, the big stuff is up and running somewhere, and that the USS Ponce is something of a distraction, like chasing the Iranian drones, and sinking the small fast boats. Now word about codes of conduct to the sailors who will operate these LASERs though. There's going to be a lot of blind people around.
edit on 19-4-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Great. They don't understand the system but they're ready to muck with it.

Business as usual.

F&S&

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

I remember one of my professors telling our freshmen class this story about J. Robert Oppenheimer, the father of the A bomb.

seems the old dude was convinced that setting off the 'Bomb' would set fire to the earth's atmosphere. ending all life on our planet
---------------- And he still pushed the button--------------

edit on 19-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Possibles effect of weather modification: Greatly reduced overall global rainfall. Completely disrupted global hydrological cycle Loss of blue skies and direct sunlight, thus effecting photosynthesis Greatly increased global drought Greatly diminished crop yields Decimated ozone layer. Northern and Southern hemispheres Contaminated soils Contaminated waters Contaminated atmosphere and breathable air column Unquantifiable negative impacts to all life forms Increased dry lightning strikes creating record forest fires Possible triggering of climate feed back loops like methane hydrate and clathrate releases - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: eisegesis

That sounds like what we've been experiencing lately, with increasing frequency!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Oh man, humans really like to play God...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This can't possibly be true - it is conclusively (proved) every day here on ATS that the weather is controlled by chemtrails, geoengineering and HAARP, and how can lasers poison us??!!

However this looks like it would be a "replacement" for weather modification - if they are talking about i being used on clouds then it's likely to be for rain propagation/mitigation.

Using it as a weapon will still be banned by the nvironmental control convention

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The method reminds me of ghostbusters because they have to 'cross' two lasers to generate the effect. Cool! It was discovered by accident in an experiment by Dr A Bernstein. If the two beams are timed, spaced and powered correctly, they create an 'optical filament' that acts like a lightning rod and can control where the lightning will strike.

Obviously this has potential to be used near airports and anywhere else where lightning poses a threat. In theory, it could be used to dissipate the energy of storms by channeling away some of the energy. What it doesn't appear to be able to do is create weather, direct rain or target lightning on places TPTB don't like. To do that they'd need to have equipment located within the sightlines of wherever storms are occurring...

“[If we can] make the lightning strike when and where we want before it otherwise would have,” he said, “that would have obvious benefits for any installation of high value like the space shuttle or even oil pipelines.”
Uni of Texas

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Well what the heck are they waiting for? I'm still waiting for this depressing cold winter to go away! Shoot some lasers into those arctic clouds and give us some warmth pleeeeese! The government only uses technology for their own benefits. They probably have lasers pointed above the white house and the capital just to keep our government officials warm, screw the rest of us. This could be another conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Laser-Based Weather Control

Cloud of water droplets generated in a cloud chamber by laser filaments (in red). The cloud is demonstrated through the scattering of a green laser beam collinear to the first one.

Its real, but they probably just want us to get used to the term now.

The advent of ultrashort laser pulses and the discovery of self-guided ionized filaments (by Braun et al. in 1985) opened new perspectives in the domain of weather modulation, especially through Teramobile, an international project initiated jointly by the National Center for Scientific Research in France and the German Research Foundation. Teramobile allows researchers to use the first mobile terawatt laser in the world for atmospheric studies. It enabled us to conduct outdoor experiments of self-guided ionized filaments for real-scale atmospheric testing.

Testing CATS in Space: Laser Technology to Debut on Space Station

While felines in space may be what you’re thinking, the Cloud-Aerosol Transport System (CATS) is a much more helpful accompaniment planned for the International Space Station. CATS will study the distribution of aerosols, the tiny particles that make up haze, dust, air pollutants, and smoke.

Well of course someone has to keep a tab on all that crap we are unwillingly breathing in. For insurance reasons only.

This Earth remote sensing instrument is scheduled to launch to the space station in late 2014 as a demonstration project. Its sensors will help researchers determine for the first time what state-of-the-art, three-wavelength laser technology can do from space to measure tiny airborne particles—also known as aerosols—in Earth’s atmosphere.

Knowing where aerosols are located in the atmosphere — such as smoke from forest fires, dust blowing off vast deserts, and plumes from erupting volcanoes — is often critically important. These particles can affect weather, climate, biogeochemistry, airplane safety, and human health.

Great, if they learn to change which way the wind blows, we'll all have to pay extra taxes for having the breeze blow on our face. And if they can not only make weather from exciting particles in the air (which would probably help some of the desertification around the globe) they could probably use the upgraded laser guns to start beaming orders from space or slowly eliminating us by cooking a few parts of your brain like a microwave dinner.

Class 4
LASER RADIATION
AVOID EYE OR SKIN EXPOSURE TO
DIRECT OR SCATTERED RADIATION

Class 4 is the highest and most dangerous class of laser, including all lasers that exceed the Class 3B AEL. By definition, a class 4 laser can burn the skin, or cause devastating and permanent eye damage as a result of direct, diffuse or indirect beam viewing. These lasers may ignite combustible materials, and thus may represent a fire risk. These hazards may also apply to indirect or non-specular reflections of the beam, even from apparently matte surfaces—meaning that great care must be taken to control the beam path. In most U.S states it is illegal to sell preassembled class 4 lasers, however a citizen can construct a class 4 laser for personal use. Class 4 lasers must be equipped with a key switch and a safety interlock. Most industrial, scientific, military, and medical lasers are in this category.

Get your ass to MARS! -->read in Arnold Schwarzenegger voice.

Lightning Control

This technique would not only allow us to trigger lightning on demand so that we could characterize it, but it may also ultimately allow us to protect critical facilities such as airports or power plants against the so-called indirect effects of lightning—in other words, the electromagnetic perturbations induced by the transient current conducted to the ground by the earthing cable of the lightning rod. These effects could be avoided by guiding lightning away from the facility using a laser that would itself be protected by a Faraday cage or a grounded metallic steering mirror.

Lasers = Bad

Teramobile, the mobile femtosecond terawatt laser: L1-L7 are laser elements; S = sending telescope; C = power supplies and temperature control; D = Lidar detection system.

Hopefully this converts some of the none believers. The less lasers in the sky the better.

Geoengineering Frankenstorm: Hurricane Sandy and the Air Force Weather Weapon System

If a hurricane travels pretty linear up a coastline from warmer to cooler waters, it wouldn't be so hard to achieve. Two laser systems on either side of it and when it shifts to the left or right just bounce it back. Essentially sleeping in bed with Mother Nature herself.

LASERS

edit on 19-4-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The same thing applies to the 'main' LASER if you like, or rather the HEL concept and likely why they retired the aircraft Laser, just not enough power. It also used to be that the big problem was the atmospherics, scintillation distorting a forward path to a target. My guess is that they have solved that problem with computer, mirror hardware, GPS and megawatt power. Once you can do all that properly, you just don't own the weather, you would only need to modulate the system for any effect.

<<   2 >>

join