It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is "Ufology" a Religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The answer is a most resounding NO. True, there are some whose level of BELIEF in whatever aspect(s) of "ufology" and things related to ET Contact and the intelligently unseen (IU) in general amounts to a de facto religion, but I don't think they represent the majority of truth-seekers of the unrevealed, or if they do, there is a sensible and rational minority that REALLY needs to be more vocal, influential. Religions are all about beliefs, or the kind of faith that involves any too-significant amount of unquestioning blindness. Serious, unbiased enough truth-seeking is simply all about the DESIRE for more knowledge, experience, MEANING than is allowed by the existing political world. Such a desire is something that can be TRULY understood, if understood at all, only by those who HAVE it. We are not religious; we are on the same or very similar scientific quest as Albert Einstein, for example.

"Ufology" is perhaps the biggest misnomer out there. The Greek suffix "-logy," which means study, denotes that there is a sufficient base of factual knowledge, PROOF, to qualify as a legitimate area of study. That's obviously not the case with UFOs and everything else of the IU.

There is nothing unscientific about a higher spiritual purpose, direction. Balanced enough minds do not confuse spirituality with religion, though that's not to say the two concepts are always utterly, 100% separate. Spirituality is in the same basic area of the "softer" sciences of psychology and sociology. Effectively EVERYTHING is science, even if it cannot be expressed in verbal or written language.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well I use the term uf ology, but nor searching proof. I have my own hands on understanding. It is not religious. True positives do not come bearing religion, the opposite, they come freeing minds and waking them up. But its very very spiritual, metaphysics, and about soul progression, moving onto to higher realms and not having to repeat these, and also there is this legalistic spiritual understanding of those running this camp, what they can get away with, and its not just human leaders or corporate heads, or royal families, but what is behind them. There are sides in the universe, and on higher levels there are no disagreements or dissensions. In these ranks for some reason its always this opposition, but the dark side aren't legally allowed to enslave or hold back unnaturally, or create so much trauma that only the few, the special, the elite can move ahead. If the majority are perceived as fodder, and held back, and blamed by this elite management, then the real Higher Ups will be bouncing back on who thinks they're in control. Don't know how it all plays out however, just know that I came with that bungee cord, and touch that stone of knowing this all the time.

An example to use, fukushima. For the dark hat black ops under Rockerfellers and their associates that made this mess go down, they're being monitored closely. They sit on the real technology they're given, use the dirtiest energies to wreak havoc with earth and its environment, and oceans, and really think they are lords of this domain. The clean technology they have can undo the harm they've done. There are rather stiff consequences in store for those who harm the school, and all of the nature in it, including humans. But humans are being tested in free will and awareness all the time, whereas nature is vulnerable to our actions, and suffers greatly.
Again, don't even know what the consequences are, but have been given that message to share over and over again. That its all monitored, no one is off the hook, and getting on with the cleanup is an expectation from above, with alot of humble pie on what is allowed and not.

You have the management, ie. watchers, jailers, guards, they would be everyones helpers if they're ready to grow up more, and you have the spiritual wake up group, on the one side, and lower downs on the other.
edit on 19-4-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
hey LightWorth, interesting post. As a newbie here I was pleased to read right-away that this forum has thinkers. As an atheist and a ufologist I see no similarities to belief based organizations. Belief is what separates us entirely, a wide guff. With tens of thousands of ufo sightings behind us, it's pretty safe to say "I have evidence." With thousands of photographs, film and video we all have seen in culmination we have what any prosecuting attorney might say is " . . a mountain of circumstantial evidence, fit to convict this man on!" Juries decide every day to convict on circumstantial evidence. So I think that In society, the mainstream publics' denial of ufos is because the subject is ufos, not for example locking up bad guys. It's a selection to chose denial of ufo's existence. No one has to believe what they can see, they can have confidence that they know what they saw, be that sighting their own close encounter, or the ton of photographs and videos and witness testimonies. Evidence, circumstantial or physical, can begin a possibility and further exploration down that avenue, which often reinforces your conclusion, your knowledge and confidence of it, not your beliefs. Evidence of extraterrestrials buzzing around our planet, occurring as far in our past as 4500 b.c. is undeniable.

Also, do you know how I can contact a member to get permission to post a couple of his images. His profile returns a 404 error? Scramjet is his username.

Later! speaking of buzzing, here's my only article on ufos thus far. I'll probably try to make it a book one day. Still editing! jamesgmason.blogspot.com...

a reply to: Lightworth

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Answer to your thread question: No. but it will be.
To find your own answer to that question, study "cargo cults" and look deeply into about any religion that has an all powerful figure up there in the sky that promises us....

There is a flip side. There will be no on-the-fence position. The ETs, no matter what they come offering, and they will have an offering, will be seen as basically, the work of the devil in some religions. That is why classical religions must be defanged of their power over the masses. The ETs must eventually be recognized as the original givers of now traditional religious beliefs or be taken as the devil in the flesh.
This is why some religions in the third world need some drastic re-adjustment of their primitive views on everything. They are the bottleneck.

edit on 19-4-2014 by Aliensun because: More explanation

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I guess we can at least hope that, if Contact happens, they will be intelligent and moral enough to make it BEYOND crystal-clear that they are just intelligent PEOPLE/beings, however farther advanced, and absolutely not "gods." We will hopefully be beyond needing a parental figure to hold our hands to go potty, if you will.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Is "Ufology" a Religion?

It's all Politics
Exopolitics

Many people who have some interest in UFOs and extraterrestrial life may not realize it but a new discipline or field of enquiry is emerging out of the old UFO/ET field.
Exopolitics is defined as the study of extraterrestrial relationships
Thinkers in exopolitics are not stuck on asking the same questions over and over such as, did a UFO crash at Roswell or what was that light in the sky, or did Eisenhower meet with aliens in 1954

Exopolitics Great Britain
Exopolitics.Us

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Part of growing up and achieving higher mind not primitive or selfish null and void shadow stuff, is to meditate, ponder inner meanings within spiritual or religious documents and manuals, and also, this is the most important. I don't like the egg metaphor, and onions are well, nasty really for a metaphor. But a rose, if earth is like a rosebud, with layers, that gradually open up to bloom on the higher realms, and like a fractal, is infinite of itself, but connected to other infinities, then do we leave home or do we try to perceive and operate as if on the outer layers that blend into infinite realms of home and heaven, do we stay in the tightly coiled dark inner area. We should all be striving to lighten our hearts and conscious, to be kind and open minded and helpful, to overcome ourselves here, the body and its promptings, and perceive, even we start out with imagination as a tool, in meditation, but start to join in, operate from the higher layers or petals. That is a kind of spiritual metaphoric understanding. Don't solve problems with lower concepts, reach higher and solve them far more easily from a higher lighter joyful perspective. If everyone did this we'd be there already, we'd shift.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Words of wisdom indeed, and I believe I am making slow but steady progress into a more meditative and higher state of consciousness, shedding my lower, primitive "potty mouth" (hence my previous post) self. I know and feel more and better than my spontaneous posts often indicate. It's something mere words can't really express.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well anything can be a religion really if you belief in it to a max and establish followers for it such as Scientology or the Davidians. I'll generalized it and say no it can not be a religion because there's not enough agreed on evidence that is true to give it the opportunity to be a religion. I know that can sound confusing but take for example the bible, it is considered to be evidence to a wide selection of people and they agree on it therefore acknowledge the religion and or believe in it but the bible itself can also become fictitious if most of the world did not believe in Catholicism.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Vrillion

The problem with Biblical "evidence" is that there is nothing to support the "supernatural" events as claimed concerning both the "God" of the Old Testament and Jesus of the New Testament, if either one or both truly existed in some form. For example, proof of meteoric sulfur striking the area that was Sodom and Gomorrah is neither proof nor evidence that it was the work of the "Yahweh" being who allegedly created the entire universe. If anyone can cite a better example of alleged evidence, truly GOOD evidence, from or related to the Bible, I'd like to hear it. There is a burden of proof that is nothing short of gargantuan when it comes to religions and their texts.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I would say yes. If you look into the Raelians. The founder was visited by a ufo and was given a message to deliver to the world.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: celticdog

Ugh! OK, I give up. Uncle! This is my last post on this thread unless someone has anything interesting and meaningful enough to contribute that would require another response from me.

What I'm getting at is something that has nothing to do with mere WORDS alone, no matter how fascinating and convincing they may SOUND. It's all about nothing less than PROOF that is equally scientifically valid and incontrovertible as, say, the discovery that living organisms are comprised of CELLS, which in turn comprise tissues, organs and organ systems when applicable. That's not saying I'm convinced such proof will ever be known, just that REAL (by definition) proof is or would be all that matters.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Yes it is of course it is, because like any religion there is fanaticism to be found in it.

top topics

join