It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cult of the Bronze Serpent

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
When I say serpent, what's your first thought? Satan, Lucifer, Indiana Jones

How about Jesus?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ka53528131.gif[/atsimg]

John 3

9Nicodemus said to Him, “How can these things be?” 10Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things? 11“Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony. 12“If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13“No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man. 14“As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;

Everyone knows the next verse very well. We see that this is speaking of the resurrection the new birth. And Jesus is likening his being raised up on the cross to the Bronze serpent in the wilderness.

There have been many finds of bronze serpents throughout Israel, and the cult of the serpent goes back very far into the past, possibly as the very earliest form of goddess worship. Lets look at some instances of bronze serpents.

There is a wealth of information from this well researched book books.google.com... d_Evil_Serpent_How_a_Universa.html?id=cJlmWuXCCecC

The following comes from The cult of the Bronze Serpent in Ancient Israel

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/pf5352861a.png[/atsimg]

The oldest bronze serpent was excavated at Megiddo (Tell el-Mutesellim). It was 18 cm long. It was found in Stratum X, dated to 1650–1550 B.C.E. (Locus 2032, Square N 14, Area BB; see fig

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/kl535281ab.jpg[/atsimg]

From the turn of the Bronze and Iron Age (1300–1100 B.C.E.) comes the bronze serpent from Timna‘. It differs from the above-mentioned ones, because it is partially wrapped round with a golden tape. It was excavated in Stratum II in a naos of the Midianite temple (Locus 110, Square B–C 14–15; see fig. 6).12 The temple was built initially by Egyptians who dedicated it to Hathor, the goddess of fertility. During the rule of the 20th Dynasty Egyptians abandoned the nearby copper mines and the temple, which was partially destroyed by an earthquake. The mines and the temple were then taken over by the Midianites. From that time come the bronze serpent (nearly 12 cm long), as well as votive offerings placed in the temple: a bronze phallic male figurine, a ram figurine, numerous rings, amulets, earrings, bracelets, beads, and many copper tools. Moreover, a large amount of Midianite pottery was found.13

When I think of Midian I think of Jethro, Moses' Father In-Law, the priest of YHWH. For fun you could google "Midianite Hypothesis". Also see the link in my tagline for more associations with Mining and Israel.

The author goes on describing other archaeological finds of the bronze serpent. And begins to look at the meaning

So which one of the above-mentioned propositions was a basis for the Canaanite cult of the bronze serpents? This question cannot be answered easily because we have no Canaanite or Syrian written source describing such a cult.25 The only written source that mentions bronze serpents is the Bible. It is interesting that the examples are not clearly negative ones.

It follows clearly from the biblical text that the bronze serpent was a cultic object.29 In light of the reference to Moses, it is hard to perceive Nechushtan in any other way than as a symbol of god—the healer.30

the cult of Ne􏰙ushtan in the Jerusalem Temple has a pre-Israelite origin and may be connected with the Jebusites.31 Obviously, no cultic serpent has been found in the area of the Jerusalem Temple, where no excavations are allowed. This makes it impossible to verify the above thesis by means of archaeological data, but the Bible itself is here to help. It is interesting that 1 Kgs 1:9 places the offerings by David’s son, Adonijah, by the Stone of Zoheleth (􏰀􏰛􏰂􏰜􏰖􏰄􏰚􏰔􏰘), next to the En-rogel spring in Jerusalem.32 Thus, this text confirms the existence of sites connected with the serpent cult in the capital itself, as well. Hence, it may be supposed that after Jerusalem was seized by David, and after the main center of worship was established there, the old beliefs, most probably known to the Hebrews, were partially incorporated into the cult of YHWH. As follows from the text of 2 Kgs 18:4, it simply happened that the tradition of Moses’ serpent was coupled with the local Jerusalemite tradition. This was not especially difficult, since it can be supposed that both the bronze serpent of the desert and the Jebusite serpent in the Temple were connected with the healing aspect of the pertinent deity. In this manner, Nehus􏰙tan was subordinated to the victorious God of Israel, and was perhaps even treated as symbolizing one of YHWH’s attributes. .

Of course, the first association leads us towards Asklepios and makes us seek after the Semitic deity identified with this Greek divine doctor. Practically, the only correspondence of Asklepios in Syro-Canaan is Eshmun, the main deity of Sidon.34

In this way, we get an outline of an answer to the question about the characteristics of the cult of Canaanite bronze serpents. It seems highly probable that they had therapeutic functions and that they were connected with deities controlling illnesses. Horon, a chthonic deity ruling over demons and serpents, could be such a god. We can further accept the relationship of the earlier Syro-Canaanite Horon to the later Phoenician-Punic Eshmun. The Bible also confirms the relation between bronze serpents and healing. Naturally, because of its character, the Bible does not point to any pagan deity, and it ascribes the principal healing role to YHWH.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Gadzooks.

This is great. Awesome dot-connecting. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/mo53528b39.jpg[/atsimg]

Eshumun
Rawlinson

According to Damascius, he was the eighth son of Sydyk, whence his name, and the chief of the Cabeiri. Whereas they were dwarfish and misshapen, he was a youth of most beautiful appearance, truly worthy of admiration. Like Adonis, he was fond of hunting in the woods that clothe the flanks of Lebanon, and there he was seen by Astronoë, the Phoenician goddess, the mother of the gods (in whom we cannot fail to recognise Astarte), who persecuted him with her attentions to such an extent that to escape her he was driven to the desperate resource of self-emasculation. Upon this the goddess, greatly grieved, called him Paean, and by means of quickening warmth brought him back to life, and changed him from a man into a god, which he thenceforth remained. The Phoenicians called him Esmun, 'the eighth,' but the Greeks worshipped him as Asclepius, the god of healing, who gave life and health to mankind.

8th son of Sydyk
8=Resurrection, the 8 is a symbol of interweaving snakes, and snakes symbolize resurrection
Sydyk=Zadok=Righteousness

The king of the Jebusite territory aka Salem at the time of Abraham was called Melchizedek or King Zedek, King of Righteousness. This title is given to Jesus in Hebrews. See my first post, last quote about Jebusite territory and the Bronze serpent cult.

Here is a universal statement by Jesus. He is saying that he will draw, which is literally to drag as in a net, ALL PEOPLE to himself. This is in association with him being likened to the healing serpent that is lifted up from the earth.

John 12
32“And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.” 33But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die.

Here we have Jesus offering the Water of Life, to those dirty half breeds the Samaritans. The dogs (which you see at the feet of Aesclepius). These are not the 'in' crowd. And what is the womans response? A universal declaration, that Jesus is the Healer of the World.

John 4
13Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; 14but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

41Many more believed because of His word; 42and they were saying to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves and know that this One is indeed the Savior of the world.”

John 7
37Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. 38“He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’” 39But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This last great day is the 8th day of the feast of Tabernacles. It is an additional day after the 7 main days. This is the day that the Mystery is Unveiled. The Glorified Body is presented, out of which flows living water, making you a life Giving Spirit.

Please see the Temples of Aesclepius or the Therepeutae. These places of Aesclepius were always associated with Healing Waters.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I wish I had time to put it all down. There are so many connections its ridiculous. I have to keep re-learning them all because I get so distracted going down rabbit trail after rabbit trail.

My thread From Egypt to Israel has many associations interconnected with this. See the Qodesh Stele, and Resheph, for he is associated with Eshmun also.

Glad you like

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I just hope there will come a day when everyone realizes the facts - that the 'revealed religions' are a scam.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I don't think it's as much of a scam as it is the front of what's basically been a ceaseless world war.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It's always tickled my brain that God would want a bronze snake raised over the heads of the Hebrews for them to bow down to in order to be cured and protected. That was just really wonky to me ...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
We get too caught up in these earthly animal/human vessels we inhabit. Your animal kingdom partner can be changed very easily for many reasons usually for healing purposes. However the snake is the hardest avatar to overcome but is very possible and someone that as you claim hates mankind so much that he would give his own life to doom mankind... well that is just the kind of person with enough grit to overcome. btw nothing you are pointing to here is true. First he was a lion then a dog now his father on the other hand is just the type to fall down to such a status just rise back up bringing all up with him in new vessels. from the top to rock bottom with enough power to rise all who acceppt the new vessels. The only real losers would be athiest that inherit no thing.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Very good thread.
Thanks for this.
Serpents have many different meanings.
For one society it's a good sign,for the other it's a bad/evil one.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

BS.

Today I was reading a book from 1985 called 'Supercat' by Michael W Fox, DVM. I borrowed it from my vet's office while I was waiting for a diagnosis about my little dog who had refused to eat....
(She's better now)

The book talks about how sentient, intelligent, sensitive, and capable of reason and education our animal companions (and even wild animals) are....IF ONLY WE GIVE THEM THE RIGHT STIMULUS....

the theology and 'philosophy' that denegrates animals as "lesser than" are one of the reasons I detest the Bible.

We are NOT 'superior.'

Animals are every bit as aware and emotional as we are. Just because they don't have 'human language' does NOT mean they don't communicate. ANYone who has spent their life around animals will know better.

Only dogmatic, superior, insensitive humans would disagree. And have done, since forever.

Our fellow creatures are undervalued due to 'religious indoctrination' - and our home (Earth) is very much alive.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

There is a wealth of information from this well researched book . . .
It is also available from Amazon.
www.amazon.com...
I put it on my wish list.

And Jesus is likening his being raised up on the cross to the Bronze serpent in the wilderness.
The fact that Jesus was using a well known story to illustrate a point does not necessarily mean that he was endorsing the veracity of the story.
edit on 19-4-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is what the Bible says about the brass serpent :

5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.

6 And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the Lord, and against thee; pray unto the Lord, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.

8 And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

They weren't to bow down or worship the serpent, simply look at it to be healed.

It was used specifically during one time period when God sent "fiery serpents" upon the people for speaking against Him.

Interesting thread, but it has nothing to do with God or Christianity, in my opinion.

Furthermore, in the Bible, it's made of brass, not bronze.

My understanding of the analogy that Jesus used :

As the people looked upon the serpent in faith to be healed, thus, we must look to Jesus in faith unto salvation.
edit on 19-4-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: graphuto

Brass=bronze. It's the same thing.

Jesus likened himself to the serpent. How does it have nothing to do with Christianity? I guess if you are talking about the nonsense of modern western churchianity yes it has nothing to do with it. Otherwise I'd say it's pretty related.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: graphuto

They weren't to bow down or worship the serpent, simply look at it to be healed. It was used specifically during one time period when God sent "fiery serpents" upon the people for speaking against Him.
Later on, it was worshiped.
Then a reformer, king Hezekiah, destroyed it.
2 Kings 18:4
He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it. (It was called Nehushtan.)
(2011 NIV)
edit on 19-4-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

For sure. I'm not saying Jesus mentioning something makes it historical literally.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I'm not saying Jesus mentioning something makes it historical literally.
I didn't mean anything about you.
That's just one of my standard responses to examples of the OT being quoted or referred to in the NT.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I agree. When Jesus reads from the scroll from Isaiah he leaves out the very important part about the day of wrath and vengeance. He definitely picks and chooses.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: deadeyedick

BS.

Today I was reading a book from 1985 called 'Supercat' by Michael W Fox, DVM. I borrowed it from my vet's office while I was waiting for a diagnosis about my little dog who had refused to eat....

(She's better now)

The book talks about how sentient, intelligent, sensitive, and capable of reason and education our animal companions (and even wild animals) are....IF ONLY WE GIVE THEM THE RIGHT STIMULUS....

the theology and 'philosophy' that denegrates animals as "lesser than" are one of the reasons I detest the Bible.

We are NOT 'superior.'

Animals are every bit as aware and emotional as we are. Just because they don't have 'human language' does NOT mean they don't communicate. ANYone who has spent their life around animals will know better.

Only dogmatic, superior, insensitive humans would disagree. And have done, since forever.

Our fellow creatures are undervalued due to 'religious indoctrination' - and our home (Earth) is very much alive.

I think you missed my point cause in my mind it resembles yours. My best memories are from the animal realm. There is a trinity that consist of human animal and plant here. Plant is the most peaceful and that is truely where i would rather be with an occasional stroll into the animal realm. I am here because of what was done the last time around solar system. Just ask any animal and they will tell you that no one understands the whomans. The goal is to get everyone where they are going.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Well sure, later on, they were worshiping the serpent, but they were never supposed to.

King Hezekiah destroyed it because they were worshiping it!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Brass and bronze are NOT the same thing.

Brass and Bronze are metal alloys used extensively in everyday objects. While brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, bronze is an alloy consisting mainly of copper, combined most often with tin, but at times also with other metals. Owing to their properties, these two alloys have various uses.

He didn't "liken himself unto the serpent"

He said that in the same way the serpent was lifted up, the Son of Man must also be lifted up.

Lets say that in the OT, instead of sending "fiery serpents" upon the people to punish them, he sent "fiery doves"

It stands to reason then, that God would have commanded Moses to make a brass dove, to be raised up, that those who look upon it might not die.

Then later, would Jesus really be likening himself to the DOVE? Absolutely not.

What he is likening himself to is the being lifted up.

John 3 : 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

edit on 19-4-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join