It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corn feed cows taste terrible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I had my first taste of US steak last night in over 20 years. I don't eat or buy it, but the wife wanted it for bbq. It was so horrible and tasteless that I tried to not even finish the very small piece I dipped into the sauce. What happened to American beef, why so terrible. I remember about 23 years ago, my brother-in-law made bbq hamburgers and the burgers all fell apart on the grill. I knew then something was wrong with the beef. Never was like that when I was a kid.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

One of the reasons is that they add water to the meat,

www.logonix.net...
edit on 19-4-2014 by PandorasBoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

It was so horrible and tasteless that I tried to not even finish the very small piece I dipped into the sauce.

Tasteless??
You season the meat for a reason...seems like a cooking issue to me.

I remember about 23 years ago, my brother-in-law made bbq hamburgers and the burgers all fell apart on the grill. I knew then something was wrong with the beef.

Sounds like your brother doesn't know how to cook a burger...add an egg and some bread so it sticks together.

A good cook can use a bad cut and turn out an amazing piece of food.

edit on 19-4-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I think it unwise to judge the quality of the U.S. Beef industry and corn fed beef in general on one random taste and a 23 year old memory.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If you bought from a grocery store its probably all the preservatives added. Buy from a butcher shop or locker plant to get fresh meat with no preservatives.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
For everyone who suggested the Op doesn't have a valid point , think again. Beef quality has been declining for some time with the changes in the quality of feed that's being used. The big meat packing plants are using more and more lower quality cows, mixing the lesser grades and shipping it out.

Surely there are some ranchers who could give us an earful about what's going on in the stockyards?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
I had my first taste of US steak last night in over 20 years. I don't eat or buy it, but the wife wanted it for bbq. It was so horrible and tasteless that I tried to not even finish the very small piece I dipped into the sauce. What happened to American beef, why so terrible. I remember about 23 years ago, my brother-in-law made bbq hamburgers and the burgers all fell apart on the grill. I knew then something was wrong with the beef. Never was like that when I was a kid.

They feed them grain because it's a cheap and quick way to fatten the cows up thereby increasing the fat content of the meat which actually improves the flavor. Unfortunately, it isn't really a normal diet for cattle so to keep them from getting sickly, they inject them with antibiotics and hormones. You can purchase grass fed beef which is better all the way around, but I've had both on several occasions and there's not a noticeable difference in taste. I've also eaten my fair share of imported beef such as Kobe and Wagyu and again, we're talking negligible differences to the average person. A lot of it comes down to handling, aging, seasoning and cooking.

What you should be concerned with most isn't the flavor, it's all the crap that they inject the cattle with and what they feed them in addition to grain. Let me explain:

Commercial producers are always trying to save a dime and in their eyes, protein is protein is protein. It's not uncommon to use the bits that can't be used even for LFTB (pink slime), which includes tissue from the CNS and digestive tract, for production of things like chicken feed. Chicken feathers, droppings, and uneaten food pellets can then be shoveled up, and reprocessed into feed which is in turn fed back to cows. Aside from being disgusting, this could ultimately also be dangerous as the prions that cause BSE or "mad cow disease" are concentrated in the CNS and digestive tract tissues and could survive processing intact only to be eaten by another cow thereby increasing the risk of any particular cow contracting BSE which poses a risk to people eating the cow as BSE can be transmitted to humans. In humans it's called vCJD (new variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease). There's no treatment and it's a really bad way to die.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
We buy grassfed organic beef from a local farmer that we have aged for two to three weeks before it is processed. It freezes better being aged that long. The roasts need water added to the roasting pan and they get lots bigger when roasted. Steaks work better on the grill also. The natural flavors from the aging make it so it doesn't require any spices other than salt, pepper, and a little garlic salt. It is full of flavor. Buying it this way costs about five fifty a lb overall, but the meat seems to be filling and you don't seem to need to eat as much. The people who raise our beef do a real good job and you can taste it. I don't like corn fed beef, but a little malted barley does make a tasty fat. Being that they are certified grassfed they cannot be fed barley either, oh well, it still tastes great.

My daughter drowns the beef in spices when I give her some. Grassfed beef does not need to have the flavor covered up, she is used to adding all the umami spices to the store bought beef, these are naturally present in aged meat and the umami in natural aged beef is actually a bound glutamate that our body recognizes. It is not like the Hydrolyzed soy protein goiterogens they sell in the store.

On top of that the elastin fiber protein does not form when the cow is fed a lot of corn. This protein is needed for strong muscles and a strong heart and arteries. It is also good for intestines.
edit on 19-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join