It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States military compared to Russian military. Let's do the math and compare numbers.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrustIsALie

originally posted by: liejunkie01
A recent explosion of Russian and American military comparisons here on ATS led me to look for some numbers.

I found this site that compares countries military strengths and weakness.

It takes in all factors related to this topic. It goes into detail of how they come to the conclusions.

I am going to link the page that directly compares the U.S. and Russia, but you can compare any country or look at individual countries.

www.globalfirepower.com...

Now I have never heard of this site. I only found it looking for comparisons of these two countries. Each country has it's strengths and weaknesses.

What do you think of the comparisons.

I read the first line and thought nice, another guy who is actually going to do hard research.

Then I see you just copied/pasted some crappy article.

/facepalm

Facepalm indeed.

Obviously you didn't even look at the link.

It goes into depth about the numbers.

So tell me when you do "research" where do you get your information?

Thank you for your input, your "research" and helpful information, it really made a great contribution to the thread.
edit on 19-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Hey OP, it occurred to me that I may have another site with similar value to what you shared here. Similar in material and actually, higher in value but just by sheer volume of what is available. This is one of those places where I use source data directly to check the other with, in fact.

FAS was founded in 1945 by many of the Manhattan Project scientists who wanted to prevent nuclear war and is one of the longest serving organizations in the world dedicated to reducing nuclear threats and informing the public debate by providing technically-based research and analysis on these issues.
Source: Federation Of American Scientists

...to direct attention a bit more for where it gets good in a sea of stuff..

FAS - Project on Government Secrecy

Or to get really topical and address what some others have brought up about the Op source link not allowing for covert and security services? Well...

FAS World Intelligence Agencies - Russia / USSR or World Agencies

It's one of my few bookmarks which fits equally under source reference and news. Enjoy.

edit on 19-4-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
I don't care what the numbers say. The fact is, the USA has not won a proper war since their involvement in WW2...If they can't beat farmers in Afghanistan or Vietnam, what makes everyone so sure they can take on the professionally trained soldiers of Russia? Of course, Russia can be put in the same boat, but they were under a completely different system back then...they remain largely untested in their modern form.

Still, i think the USA has a problem of underestimating their opponents. If they do the same with Russia, well it is obvious what will happen. Let's hope it never comes down to push and shove.

Incredible nonsense, whatever term is used police action, war on terror, the main reasons we engage in these minor affairs and NEVER bring to bear our actual Strength is the constancy of having battle hardened experienced troops, the testing of weapons systems and minor political goals which are secondary in many ways...

We didn't go to Afghanistan to claim or decimate Afghanistan lol...

Won Lost? Let me know when A Vietnamese, North Korean of Afghanistan citizen, lands boats on our soil, unloads tens of Thousands of Troops kicks our butts all over Los Angeles, leaves without reprisal on their soil... Lost? how delusional Even Hitler didn't maintain 130-1 plus kill ratio over Polish Troops in WW2 like we did in th first Iraq war and the Polish were riding Horses into Panzer divisions...

edit on 19-4-2014 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2014 by criticalhit because: typo

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kuhl
Non nuclear US wins hands down 'It's allies are strong too but Nuclear no-one wins except the cockroaches.
Who will win threads are pointless

Truer words were never spoken:

”I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.” – Albert Einstein
whowasalberteinstein.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

In a nuclear war correct.

I love that einstein quote, almost like he knew the future.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BABYBULL24

Not entirely true but close.

A world power has to stay strong though, and for that they need to spend every dollar on new tech and weapons to defend from others (Russia & China)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Russia stand little chance in Naval terms, can hold off the air war for say 30 days, and given some open space can deliver some advancement on ground via heavy armor punch.

Best chance for Russia would be lucky hits on US aircraft carriers and major airforce bases in Europe. This would negate the vast superiority US has in airpower and upto some extent deny US from projecting strength in Europe.

However, only a fool would not take whole of NATO into account and hence Russia standing alone would be at a great disadvantage.

Even if China holds off Japan and Iran and Iraq keep Turkey occupied, India holds off Australia, and North Korea keeps South Koreans on the defensive.......in the end it will be Russia+CSTO and 1/4th of Chinese strength vrs whole of NATO.

Chances are weak for the Eastern alliances..IMHO.

ps: nukes are out of the game for now.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

edit on 19-4-2014 by victor7 because: repeated

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the info wrabbit.

Definitely going to check it out.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: victor7

If a shooting war starts the military comparison kick people are on are not going to be accurate. The weapon deployment we see in Iraq 2 and Afghanistan are not the most current.

If Russia / the US base their assessment of each other on known military technology then both sides are naïve.

For the most part the wars we have seen have been disproportionate (on the US and Russian history) between the nations in question. A conflict between the US / EU / NATO verse Russia will not be like anything we have ever seen. Its one thing engaging a nation whose military doctrine / equipment and training are 20-40 years behind the times while their force projection ability remains local / regional.

Its something else entirely when the nations are close to an even match.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Agreed, the entirety of the scenario can change real fast when a single odd ball guy with a vial of (X) brewed in a lab, perhaps even by a 3rd world player walks into the down town of a city and releases a highly contagious virus with a 99.6 % kill rate eh?

There is actually no accounting for how these scenarios will play out.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

And by the way China imports 90% of its micro chips. They then put them into electronics.

That doesn't appear to negate the problem with outsourcing micro chips.

Using QA stress type tests we can usually catch the cheap fake clones that were designed to increasing the bottom line by cutting cost in materials. However, the fake clones designed to infiltrate, would be made to adhere to the clients specs and could easily make it past the stress types tests.

BTW, in regards to China
Senate Armed Services Committee Releases Report on Counterfeit Electronic Parts

www.levin.senate.gov...

Conclusion 1: China is the dominant source country for counterfeit electronic parts that are infiltrating the defense supply chain.

Conclusion 2: The Chinese government has failed to take steps to stop counterfeiting operations that are carried out openly in that country

Conclusion 3: The Department of Defense lacks knowledge of the scope and impact of counterfeit parts on critical defense systems.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

ps: nukes are out of the game for now

No man don't say that it's the best part of the game.

So we grind Russia into the ground, USA and NATO whilst everyone else keeps out, Russia gets no lucky hits and we took out half the nukes so they only have 10,000 left.

Hey Putin buddy come out, we have you surrounded.

Bang. Hold on folks i'm hearing over the radio waves, wait, wait , yes 6 megaton suite case bombs has just gone off in New York and rumors of another explosion in Texas, crackle crackle, markets closed due to panic selling and my producer just asked if I happen to have a biological warfare suite to hand because Israelis top secret laboratory just got hit and it looks like some type of zombie virus just got released into the atmosphere.

People have taken to the streets in Washington and are hanging all the politicians and bankers and burning Government building (Kiew version 2) , Denver airport attacked, crackle, crackle, people running to the underground.

Hey Sorry dear Mr president Putin we didn't mean it and didn't think you would mind so much if we wiped you off the face of the earth and are very sorry that Russia glows green at night because we blew half your nukes up and seven nuclear power stations have gone into meltdown, we didn't use any nukes.

Limited war ! in your dreams if you ask me and that's why I'm not buying this phony war but it is important you do else oil prices won't go up, military spending won't go up and Putin won't get praise at home for standing up to them yanks

edit on 21-4-2014 by VirusGuard because: Mummy toe got burnt from a blast

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

A conflict between the US / EU / NATO verse Russia will not be like anything we have ever seen. Its one thing engaging a nation whose military doctrine / equipment and training are 20-40 years behind the times while their force projection ability remains local / regional.

Just trying to clear something up !

Are you talking about Russia, Afghanistan or possibly Iran here ?

I have to ask because I didn't think anyone had anything as good as the sunburst or S-500 30 years ago or Torpedo's that travel at 700kmh under water, in fact I don't think anyone today apart from Russia has these weapons so it must be Iran right.

Hitler told the Germans that Russia would be a push over too, History has shown us otherwise even if our minds are a bit cloudy over the more recent Georgia conflict.

Technical yes I know the USA did offer some assistance to Russia in WWII but not half as much as Russia did to clear the other side of Europe by killing half the Germans before our american friends dare set a foot in the arena, its just that someone is following me around and is trying to split hairs all the time so I had to add it.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

But unleashing soldiers with no rules will mean that you'll end up with rapists/child killers and even possible child rapists and its going to be hard for any country to welcome back troops when they're known for such abuses, theres a reason why most countries have rules of warfare.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
If a shooting war starts the military comparison kick people are on are not going to be accurate.

If Russia / the US base their assessment of each other on known military technology then both sides are naïve.

For the most part the wars we have seen have been disproportionate (on the US and Russian history) between the nations in question. A conflict between the US / EU / NATO verse Russia will not be like anything we have ever seen. Its one thing engaging a nation whose military doctrine / equipment and training are 20-40 years behind the times.

exactly right. history is full of battles. sometimes, the underdog wins. And they do so with less advanced weaponry, which is why it is very bad to arrogantly and over confidently cheer on a war against Russia.

I think the Russians are less naive than Americans in the military tech assessment.

Right again. The way our military has fought has 'lowered the bar' and made our military weaker than before.
---a. the equipment is worn and used
---b. the methods and tactics used have become habit and will not easily cross over.
---c. a superior team that plays scrubs loses some skill, then when they play a real contender get blown out..

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have skimmed this and most of you are looking at this all wrong.....

It's not the raw numbers. Oh sure they are important if we were in a total long term conventional war with Russia. But those would change to as territory and assests are won or lost, casualties and costs mount, surprises happen etc.

And honestly in total war with Russia we probably go back to 1983 and start getting ready to push the button.

In the current situation in Ukraine/ and to a lesser extent how that might spill over to Syria or Iran, its not raw numbers.

It's how many ready, trained, deploy-able units can be transported into a combat area. Who gets their "firstest with the mostest" . In the Ukraine Russia has an advantage. In the Middle East we probably would (lot of prepositioned equipment at Diego Garcia and in Kuwait). Who gets air superiority and in the event of sea combat who gets to control the sea lanes. And all this depends on how and where conflict starts.

I address Ukraine/ Europe here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: MrSpad

And by the way China imports 90% of its micro chips. They then put them into electronics.

However, the fake clones designed to infiltrate, would be made to adhere to the clients specs and could easily make it past the stress types tests.

Conclusion 1: China is the dominant source country for counterfeit electronic parts that are infiltrating the defense supply chain.

Plus, all those intel factories outside if China prove nothing as far as being legitimate products. It only takes ONE PERSON at the factory to do the damage. One guy on the shipping dept, or the QA/QC area, etc.. One dude in each intel factory is all it takes to replace or modify the chips to become trojans that are undetectable.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join