It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help The American Grey Wolves!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I've been a long time lurker on Ats. I've been wanted to post this for sometime. Just replied to 20 threads so I can post this so please bare with me. This really bothers me that all these wolves are getting slaughtered, and I am really surprised that no has posted this yet. I'm not much of a blogger, but I will do this in behalf of the wolves. If I posted this in the wrong place or doing something wrong, please let me know. Sorry if the pictures are a bit graphic, it is to get your attention. I was in tears when I uploaded them, but I can remove them if necessary.

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - Idaho’s House will get to consider a measure seeking to shift $2 million in taxpayer money toward a panel that will oversee the killing of wolves that prey on livestock and elk herds.
Republicans on the House Resources Committee voted Monday 14-4 for the disputed bill.
It’s being pushed by Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter, over objections labeling this a “funding mechanism for a war on wolves.”
Link

Congress in 2011 stripped Endangered Species Act protection from wolves in Idaho and Montana. Since then, nearly 1,600 wolves have been killed in those states.

BOISE, Idaho — Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter has signed a bill to create a state board that will work to control the growth of wolf populations in the state.

The Republican signed the bill on Wednesday, despite opposition from conservation groups.

The bill, which passed on the final day of the recent legislative session, creates a $400,000 fund and establishes a five-member board whose job is to authorize the killing of wolves that come into conflict with wildlife or livestock. Otter had requested $2 million for the wolf fund.
Link

Idaho Fish and Game reports it has used a helicopter to kill 23 wolves in the north central Idaho area commonly called the Lolo. This is the latest in a continuing effort (6 forays in 4 years) to reduce the number of wolves there by 70%. In recent years IDF&G has also had very generous hunting rules to kill cougar and bear. Here is the story from the media — Associated Press in the Missoulian. “Idaho Fish and Game kills 23 wolves in Lolo Pass area.”
Link

"Idaho's statewide elk population of 107,000 has been growing since 2010"............... "The presence of wolves equating to poor hunting opportunity is a fallacy"............... "Wyoming, with the third largest wolf population in the West, reported their three largest elk harvests on record in the past four years, with 45 percent success in 2013"............ "Hunters can coexist with wolves while maintaining a robust hunting tradition"
Link

Update Just adding this video that was on TV tonight about wolves. War On Wolves
edit on 18-4-2014 by Crystalwolf because: Fixed Video

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Crystalwolf

I help them

www.smokeapackaday.com...

I help them die

they are not a natural predator in this area.....they were put here by BLM messing with stuff as per usual

they are the most dangerous predator out there.....they are killing all the Elk, Moose and Deer as well as domestic dogs and farm animals.....

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It wasn't that long ago when the wolf was all but a memory. I was actually pleasantly surprised to learn they were being reintroduced. It didn't take long before the wolves encroached on farmers and ranchers land. It was almost a forgone conclusion that this would happen. When I travelled to other countries it was interesting to see the symbiotic relationship between man and animal. You won't find that here in America, we too civilized for that. *shakes head*

They are truly magnificent creatures.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
As a former resident of Idaho..

let me say right now im an avid wildlife conservationist and also a hunter myself....Im all for survival of species and preserving our lands and wildlife....

That being said...

The wolves that are encroaching in Idaho are WIPING OUT elk and mule deer herds, these wolves are coming INTO the towns and cities and have been sighted being aggressive to domesticated animals, and have also killed lots of cattle...

These wolves ARE NOT NATIVE TO IDAHO....

They are CANADIAN wolves from farther up north.....

Again the population of wolves that are being culled are NOT native to this area.....

You want to preserve native species fine, but putting in a non native aggressive species and releasing large numbers of them into non native areas to KILL OFF OTHER NATIVE LESS AGGRESSIVE WOLVES, is NOT conservation..

Do not let your want to protect what you view as a cuddly or majestic animal, cloud good judgement and facts
edit on 4/18/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: UxoriousMagnus

I'm sorry but I have to speak to the irony in the link.

So we have a hunter who creates a website to bad mouth wolves for getting the hunt first. "It's not fair, the wolf killed the elk before I got too!" Lmao

Anyways, I get they're a threat to our way of life but to accuse them of eating all the elk, that's just funny. That was the way nature intended and wolves were a big part of the American Midwest, etc. in places like Yosemite, when the wolf was reintroduced it thinned out all the over populated deer and elk and allowed beautiful foliage to grow that hadn't grown in decades. If the elk are dying its because they got fat and lazy like most Americans. A little exercise will do them good in the long run.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
As a former resident of Idaho..

let me say right now im an avid wildlife conservationist and also a hunter myself....Im all for survival of species and preserving our lands and wildlife....

That being said...

The wolves that are encroaching in Idaho are WIPING OUT elk and mule deer herds, these wolves are coming INTO the towns and cities and have been sighted being aggressive to domesticated animals, and have also killed lots of cattle...

These wolves ARE NOT NATIVE TO IDAHO....

They are CANADIAN wolves from farther up north.....

Again the population of wolves that are being culled are NOT native to this area.....

You want to preserve native species fine, but putting in a non native aggressive species and releasing large numbers of them into non native areas to KILL OFF OTHER NATIVE LESS AGGRESSIVE WOLVES, is NOT conservation..

Do not let your want to protect what you view as a cuddly or majestic animal, cloud good judgement and facts

exactly....

also...they are one of the few predators that kills for fun....leaving the prey alive to suffer.....tearing babies out of the mothers just to play with it......they torture their prey before killing it if they even do kill it.....often just leaving it to suffer and die later

you and I switched places.....I left Houston four years ago....and now am in North Idaho.....

you lose

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

You'd think that after all the examples of people introducing different animals into areas where they aren't found naturally and the usual chaos it eventually brings, they would learn not to do it. Whether it's frogs, or fish or wolves, doesn't matter. It almost always back fires and eventually causes trouble just as bad as what they were trying to fix.

However, there is also the other side of the coin too. Although I don't think it's anywhere close to being on balance compared to all the screw ups. But every now and then we actually do figure out how to fix the stuff we mess up.

The good news for you, crystalwolf, is that this actually has to do with wolves too and I know you'll love it. I found it amazing when I first saw it.

This is a perfect example that shows why we need to stop thinking we are so smart and realize nature doesn't need us to fix things for her. We simply need to stop breaking things so much so fast. Nature knows how to handle things, including how to handle us within reason. If we'd just slow ourselves down a little bit, we'd all be better off.

How Wolves Change Rivers

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Although wolves were once indigenous to Idaho, I will concede the wolf species they introduced in Idaho was not the original Northern Mountain Rocky Wolf.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

So we have a hunter who creates a website to bad mouth wolves for getting the hunt first. "It's not fair, the wolf killed the elk before I got too!" Lmao

Anyways, I get they're a threat to our way of life but to accuse them of eating all the elk, that's just funny. That was the way nature intended and wolves were a big part of the American Midwest, etc. in places like Yosemite, when the wolf was reintroduced it thinned out all the over populated deer and elk and allowed beautiful foliage to grow that hadn't grown in decades. If the elk are dying its because they got fat and lazy like most Americans. A little exercise will do them good in the long run.

the BLM and their "tactics" are a failure every time they try this stuff.

these are not the wolves that were here before.....

ever had a pack stalk you through the woods?.......you will lose......

the old west books are filled with stories about wolves stalking and killing humans. It was not a pretty picture back then....it took a ton of work to get them under control

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The Canadian grey wolf is huge and I've seen some up by the border that blow my mind. They are also dangerous but no more than a mountain lion or grizzly. It isn't their fault they were introduced into the area. I'm also not aware of a shortage of elk or deer up in this area. Hunting licenses go out as usual each year and people get their quotas. What they should do - reintroduce them back into Canada if it's a problem. Fixing a human made problem should not include slaughtering it. If people create the problem they have an obligation to make it right ethically (or should). It's a mind set and it appears people's beliefs are firmly set as they justify the simplest solution rather than taking some responsibility.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Thats not the point, the point is this NON NATIVE specie of wolf is much larger and more aggressive then his native cousin that was here, and the packs are much larger...

Its not about who gets the hunt first...

Its that its KILLING OFF native herds of Elk, Moose, white tail and mule deer that are native to Idaho, Montana etc...

NEVER has it ever bode well when non native species are introduced into other areas....

What part of this dont people get? If it was a spider they would be all over getting rid of it ....or a snake or a fish

But because its a wolf its ok...

the stupidity is amazing

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
You are wrong, the elk population is growing.

Remarkably, as this continues, Idaho's statewide elk population of 107,000 has been growing since 2010. The presence of wolves equating to poor hunting opportunity is a fallacy. Wyoming, with the third largest wolf population in the West, reported their three largest elk harvests on record in the past four years, with 45 percent success in 2013. Hunters can coexist with wolves while maintaining a robust hunting tradition.
a reply to: UxoriousMagnus Source

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't disagree there is a genuine issue between man and wolf and wolves are very aggressive creatures. I was simply enjoying the humor of one predator complaining about another stealing its kill. I personally loves wolves, it runs in our family. Growing up in the San Fernando valley my family would take trips up north every year specifically to see wolves in the wild. This was back in the early 80's and I only remember ever seeing one pack but they were beautiful. I agree the reintroduction was a failure and even if they tried to contain them at Yosemite, they will find a way out. a reply to: UxoriousMagnus

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
The Canadian grey wolf is huge and I've seen some up by the border that blow my mind. They are also dangerous but no more than a mountain lion or grizzly. It isn't their fault they were introduced into the area. I'm also not aware of a shortage of elk or deer up in this area. Hunting licenses go out as usual each year and people get their quotas. What they should do - reintroduce them back into Canada if it's a problem. Fixing a human made problem should not include slaughtering it. If people create the problem they have an obligation to make it right ethically (or should). It's a mind set and it appears people's beliefs are firmly set as they justify the simplest solution rather than taking some responsibility.

They are making it right, you can now hunt them, just like they do any other species management.........

You speak of taking responsibility.........sometimes that means doing whats right even tho its hard....sometimes that means removing the non native specie from the area.....

No its not their fault they were introduced......but the rest of the populations of elk and other animals shouldnt have to suffer either...

YOu say you arent aware of the populations suffering, you are either lying that you are a hunter or you simply arent paying attention.....because its been news for many years now, and avid hunters in the area know this without a doubt.....

This isnt the same as grizzly bears or mountain lions......there are MUCH more wolves in the area then either of those animals and wolves hunt in packs.......

A hunter would be able to draw that conclusion fairly easily

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Wolves tear babies out of mothers stomachs for fun? Do you have some research to cite this?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Your obviously to close the the situation to find the humor I did. I understand your argument and don't disagree, that said, it's still funny....not the issue with wolves in general, it is a serious matter just the hunter being out hunted. a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

edit on 18-4-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crystalwolf
You are wrong, the elk population is growing.

Remarkably, as this continues, Idaho's statewide elk population of 107,000 has been growing since 2010. The presence of wolves equating to poor hunting opportunity is a fallacy. Wyoming, with the third largest wolf population in the West, reported their three largest elk harvests on record in the past four years, with 45 percent success in 2013. Hunters can coexist with wolves while maintaining a robust hunting tradition.
a reply to: UxoriousMagnus Source

your source for those numbers is ...... a blog?

is that right?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec

Wolves tear babies out of mothers stomachs for fun? Do you have some research to cite this?

smokeapackaday.tripod.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I didn't say I hunt (where did I say that)? I know a lot of people who do though. I'm also not in Idaho. I'm in Montana. Perhaps there are issues but I don't hear about them from those I know who do hunt. I've also not had one person tell me they have seen a wolf unless actively tracking it, but plenty who see bears. Again - I'm not in Idaho. From the people who I know who have or do hunt wolves they are difficult to find yet we hear these rumors that are ridiculous - coming into towns and tearing people apart. They have been demonized and that is the problem IMO. If they need a predator they have one but people get carried away with the hate mongering and glorification of slaughtering as many as possible. That is what's disturbing.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Thank for the Video, it was very enlightening. Sound like wolves do more good, than harm to nature. a reply to: mOjOm

edit on 18-4-2014 by Crystalwolf because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join