It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to send 20,000 additional troops to stabilize Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The United States plans to increase its military force in Iraq in an effort to stabilize the country.

U.S. officials said nearly 20,000 troops would arrive in Iraq over the next few weeks. This would increase the U.S. force level to about 163,000 troops. Currently, about 145,000 U.S. soldiers are deployed in Iraq.

U.S. troops have disarmed a militia group affiliated with pro-American Iraqi politician Ahmed Chalabi, as part of a campaign to impose law and order in Iraq, a political official said Sunday.

But fighters of the biggest Muslim Shi'ite group, trained by Washington's bitter foe Iran, reacted warily to the U.S. military's June 14 ultimatum for Iraqis to surrender their weapons.

www.worldtribune.com...

(I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with stabilizing the region so much as continuing the build up prior to going into the next OPEC nation... Notice that returning forces are very minimal, but we are STILL mobilizing forces into the region????)

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I love it -send one army to destabilise Iraq and then another to stabilise it!
Let's hope they've become better at "stabilising": Afghanistan's a mess.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Regional stabilization is the last of the concerns at this moment... all the US is interested in doing is establishing forward bases from which to strike other OPEC nations that may vote for the Euro conversion.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Only the natives can do this. That is their job. We can help, but not manage. Otherwise the place will explode.

Estragon said it best, "Afghanistan's a mess."

So is Iraq. So it will be until the US Forces are gone and until much long after that as well. We can't really say for sure when Iraq will be stable, or if it ever will be at all.

I think that it is strange that Afghanistan is like an old myth and Iraq is this hot topic. I don't see why we don't have large deployments of troops in Afghanistan. For it is well known that we wasted much air bombs and firepower in that conflict because we didn't even achieve great victory over the corruptors. We may have smoked them out, but they are clear and in sight now.

The people that we have bombed are still alive and they are ready to bomb us. Our militaries may be fearsome and all mighty, but that never stops the rebel. That never stops the freedom seeker. That never stops the oppressed. For their calls and cries may be their last, but not the end of them.

Abraham

[Edited on 26-5-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, whatever. All I know is 20,000 more soldiers are going to be stuck somewhere that frowns upon beer and makes their women cover up completely.

Oh, the humanity!

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Sounds great, maybe that means my Cousin can finally come home to his family. He is a Marine Medic (Really, he is part of the navy) and has been over there since the war began.

My father was in Vietnam, and told me that all the medics he knew ended up going insane when they got back...hopefully this does not happen to my cousin.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 05:36 AM
link   
One wonders what the military thinks of these new tasks.
I can almost imagine John Wayne saying: "Okay you leathernecks, let's go and stabilise those guys."

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
With the minimum salary being around $20,000 US and with no room and board, clothing, food or electrical expenses, free medical, 1 month per year paid vacation, as well periodic access to a well stocked PX the usual response is, "Yes Sir."

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 04:44 PM
link   
With the minimum salary being around $20,000 US Posted by Toltec

Ummm... when was the last time you checked how much the average enlisted man made???

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Last time I checked DR was in 1982 when a 1st Lieutenant in the US Air force made 23,000 per year.

I figured I was off by several figures into the thousands
but my response was intended for Estragon

new topics

top topics

join