It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skinny vs. Plump Poll

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheDoctor46
a reply to: sled735

I dont pay attention to those charts. They are utter crap!. Im considered overweight and there's not much fat on me. I look like that guy strolling on the beach.
I say stuff the charts. There's many a beautiful large women

I feel sorry for these models having to bow down to the pressure of looking a certain way. I dont look at size i look at the person themselves
...Now someone give me a cuddle

Ummm.... how old did you say you are, Doc?
Am I going to have to chase down that divorce lawyer again?

Here's your cuddle.

edit on 4/20/2014 by sled735 because: add hug

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Why does media/advertising at the present moment perpetuate an unhealthy body image for women to try and attain, and more recently men?
Why do these values change over time and what can we learn from them?
These are the big questions to try and comprehend on the topic.
We know weight loss is big business. It's clear that it is not solely driven by the desire to be healthy. In fact, it's way more driven on a desire to be sexually attractive for procreation/love/lust. Know one wants to be lonely and everyone wants to be in love. In the 1st world right now, you're more likely to find someone; if you are perceived as beautiful. So, is loneliness the ultimate catalyst?
Fashion/Art. Another big business. Is this an end result of life imitating art in this 1st world of excess? People want what others can't have. This has always been true. It makes them feel special and look special to other people.
Beauty is now perceived in modern culture, as being skinny to the point of unhealthiness.
Is this also an end result of a society that's sick on consumption of resources and materialism?
Food for thought.
edit on 20-4-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyFlatulence

And he's smart too!

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyFlatulence

The thing is that beauty is defined differently in different countries or regions: in Africa a plump woman gets more suitors than a skinny one, in Japan being overweight is frowned upon, in South America is long hair and an ample derriere, in the West fashion designers have been brainwashing the masses by only choosing skinny women that physically look like boys for their shows and adverts (or boys that look like girls).

And what about men? All men in adverts look so polished, hairless and with a six pack.....they all look metrosexual. What happened to the beauty of a manly man? I personally like men that look like men, rugged, strong and with facial hair.......why are we told to fancy pretty thin boys?

I think people just go for an ideal of physical beauty instead at looking at the qualities that make a person beautiful.
They forget that lust wears off and when it happens you may be left with nothing else you like about the other person.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

I find it fascinating how beauty has been defined in various parts of the world differently. There has always been diverse cultural notions of beauty. Only recently has the fashion industry started to perpetuate an unhealthy image of it.
Girdles would be the first fashion I can think of off hand of this instance.
It's also interesting to think about how suntans used to be considered ugly and would make women look common. Now a tan is considered to be beautiful even with the knowledge of it's potential harm.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
posted by: [post=17821262]Agartha

And what about men? All men in adverts look so polished, hairless and with a six pack.....they all look metrosexual. What happened to the beauty of a manly man? I personally like men that look like men, rugged, strong and with facial hair.......why are we told to fancy pretty thin boys?

I agree with that 100%!! I thought it may be because I was raised in the mountains of Tennessee that drew me to the "rugged" man, but maybe I was wrong. I do like a beard too, if it is kept trimmed neat, and not too long.
And I also like the chest hair on a man.

I think people just go for an ideal of physical beauty instead at looking at the qualities that make a person beautiful.
They forget that lust wears off and when it happens you may be left with nothing else you like about the other person.

That is a lesson some people have to learn the hard way. I hope they don't get married and have children before discovering this fact.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

We are talking the same language, girl! lol
See, we all have certain traits that we find attractive, but that doesn't mean we can't fall in love with somebody who doesn't meet those traits. At the end of the day real love goes beyond physical look.
.....But a rugged men, with manly hands and a beard.....can't beat that! lol

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

My co-worker absolutely loves beards. The other day we were cleaning a customer's house and they also had a couple guys out building a deck for them. When she told me one of them was "so super hot", I knew he must have a beard and I offered to ask him if she could just touch it. Those guys are not attractive at all to me, so I'd have no problem approaching one of them for a friend who's being shy.

It works out that we all have different preferences.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
i alway thought people with face fungus(beards) should be shot.
in public.
i dont know what theyre problem is
edit on 20-4-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: eMachine

hahaha I'm not that bad!

And yes, having different preferences is beautiful, otherwise we would all be fighting for the same guy or woman.

The truth is.....aren't we all beautiful? Uniquely beautiful? I think so.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Absolutely agreed. Beautiful indeed, tho not all in ways I would want all over me in the dark.

All of this is really just what we're attracted to in theory, we underestimate the impact of pheromones and other non-visual things, like voice/laugh/mannerisms/etc. Those things can flip our on/off switches and we're not as conscious of them.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

originally posted by: TheDoctor46

I dont pay attention to those charts. They are utter crap!. Im considered overweight and there's not much fat on me. I look like that guy strolling on the beach.
I say stuff the charts. There's many a beautiful large women

I feel sorry for these models having to bow down to the pressure of looking a certain way. I dont look at size i look at the person themselves
...Now someone give me a cuddle

Ummm.... how old did you say you are, Doc?
Am I going to have to chase down that divorce lawyer again?

Here's your cuddle.

Haha
...Thanks for that cuddle, I sure needed it!....Well i will give you a clue...Im in between 42 and 44!...Get your chequebook ready for the lawyer. You know what those guys charge!!....

edit on 4 22 2014 by TheDoctor46 because: Forgot my age lol

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheDoctor46

Ah, dangit! Still too young for me! Sigh...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
in public.

My face fungus wants to see your razors get shot.
In publix.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
in public.

Team full beard girl here

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Add me as a girl who loved facial hair. No long beards though. My man keeps it exactly how I like it. I love running my hands over his face.

Being that we met on-line on a video game, I fell in love with him before I even knew what he looked like. After a year of spending at least 5 hours a day, many times 22 hours a day, I knew who he was and didn't care. When I finally saw him in person though I was very happy with his appearance though.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I like women to have a healthy figure, not a visible skeleton.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join