It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skinny vs. Plump Poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Okay, so I was just chatting with a friend on f/b and we were discussing weight loss. We were talking about how freakin' skinny (and sick) we look when we are at our "ideal weight", according to the national health chart.

I was wondering, do people REALLY think this looks good?!

or even this?

Okay, so there you see what the media is telling us we should look like, if we want to be the vision of a model. pfffftttt!
I think they look like crap, personally!!

The media places too much importance on being "skinny"!
Body images splattered on magazines and t.v. are important because of the rise in eating disorders and other disorders related to body image. The media may not be the sole cause of eating disorders, however, it is often a huge contributing factor, IMHO!

www.mirror-mirror.org...

It’s important to understand the impact of body image in the media. Media and body image is important because we are absolutely bombarded with media images these days and those images have a huge effect on our mental health and the way we see ourselves.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the typical American spends about half of his free time in front of the TV. Television is not the only form of media that influences our body image, of course. We watch movies, see pictures online, read magazines and other periodicals, watch performances by rock stars, see ads for clothing (featuring ridiculously skinny models) and so on. In all these forms of media, we see images of very skinny women.

I was shocked and sent into a state of discombobulation when I googled "over-weight images", and this is one that came up!!
Are you kidding me?! If this is "over-weight", I'm just dead out of luck!!!

Now, here we have the "medium" woman. This one looks more like it, to me! Not too fat, not too thin.

Here is MY personal opinion of what over-weight looks like:

Now, for the poll.

Okay, guys and gals. What is your preference? Skinny, Medium, or Obese?
Be honest, and don't let the media influence your decision.
If you had your choice of which type you would like to hug (among other things), which would it be?

edit on 4/18/2014 by sled735 because: dyslexia!

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I like big butts, and I cannot lie...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Medium
Honestly when looking at the pictures, I am more concerned for the models. They look like death warmed over. At least the overweight girls look like people. The models look like paper dolls.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

That makes me feel better.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735

I think women who are nothing but skin and bones look sickly! I dont know when "Starving Ethiopian Chic" became the standard of beauty in our culture but whoever is behind that decision should be flogged! It's unhealthy and our young girls are growing up trying to meet impossible standards that can only be achieved by either becoming anorexic, bulimic, or by taking drugs. It's horrible!!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
According to the chart I am obese.

I am 5'10 11.1/2 stone I am not obese, people tell me I'm lucky cause I'm slim, go figure.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Whoops double post.
edit on 18-4-2014 by keenasbro because: double post

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

That top pic was just downright scary! The second one not much better. What was in the last pic? I have problems seeing things over a certain weight class.

My requested specifications...
Moderately skinny to medium, 5`to 5`2", redhead or brunette (blondes are ok too, it`s a good idea to eat your vegetables), 100 to 115 lbs, 32C to 32E (but firm LOL). The chart is pretty funny though, I am 6`3" and about 95 kgs (210lbs) and I am not overweight. A woman should weigh about half what a man weighs, that way he can pick her up easily and... er... yeah... hug her, that`s it.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I had to break out the conversion chart (137 pounds = 62 kg). It says I'm healthy but everyone tells me Im too skinny and need to gain weight. I think it all depends on your frame and individual build.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
In all honesty, I like a gal with passion, humor and joie de vivre! Size is irrelevant.

Rock what you got and to hell with the lot!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AstroRocks

I agree.
When I was trying to reach my "ideal weight", according to the chart, I still had 20 lbs. to go, and everyone was telling me how worried they were about me, and how sick I looked. LOL

At least, it was nice to know I didn't have to struggle to lose any more. Instead, I was finally able to eat without worrying about gaining a couple of pounds.

edit on 4/18/2014 by sled735 because: DAMN!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I'm going to say a healthy weight, you can look at someone and tell they eat right, get a little exercise and take care of themselves. Guess that would be considered medium but I prefer healthy. Everyone has a different body structure, bone structure so the healthy weight can differ from person to person. Even if someone is a little overweight or underweight, self confidence can make up for that too. As long as someone is happy and healthy they're beautiful to me

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: keenasbro
According to the chart I am obese.

I am 5'10 11.1/2 stone I am not obese, people tell me I'm lucky cause I'm slim, go figure.

actually it says you are ideal weight....

jerk

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I like your attitude!

Too much emphasis is placed on how people "look", and not "who the person is inside".
So many "beautiful people" are over-looked because of others judging them by their outward appearance before even getting to know them.

Sad.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Those model pics look like skin on a skeleton. Sickly and unattractive! It is sad that so many women literally risk their very lives to look like that!!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I like your attitude!

Too much emphasis is placed on how people "look", and not "who the person is inside".
So many "beautiful people" are over-looked because of others judging them by their outward appearance before even getting to know them.

Sad.

though I agree with you.....I have to admit....when I see someone super over weight.....I feel sorry for them as I know they hate it.....I know they are uncomfortable and I know they physically do not feel good. Their health is at risk but the skin and bone thing....

no....not sexy

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I know, right?!

Who was the idiot that thought this was the "model" to go by to look attractive?!

They need help!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: UxoriousMagnus

Yes, I agree. Being obese is not healthy. Many people struggle their entire lives trying to lose weight, but something in their "genes" just seems to make it almost impossible.
I think a lot of the culprit is the fast food people eat because of the fast pace people have to keep up with these days just to survive.
And the price to buy healthy food! Ridiculous!

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW AGAINST CHARGING OUTRAGEOUS PRICES FOR HEALTHY FOOD! DAGNABIT!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Peeps (men) probably won't believe me on here..

I am attracted to zee ladies brains and humor more than anything else.
Then comes eyes and smile.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735
a reply to: UxoriousMagnus

Yes, I agree. Being obese is not healthy. Many people struggle their entire lives trying to lose weight, but something in their "genes" just seems to make it almost impossible.
I think a lot of the culprit is the fast food people eat because of the fast pace people have to keep up with these days just to survive.
And the price to buy healthy food! Ridiculous!

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW AGAINST CHARGING OUTRAGEOUS PRICES FOR HEALTHY FOOD! DAGNABIT!!!

I don't know if I would go that far....

I don't mind paying more for high quality food as I know it costs more to produce than say.....poptarts or something

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join