It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Scandal: BLM Rounding Up Wild Horses, Sending To Slaugherhouse…In Canada

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
i hate the BLM. they would do something like this that makes no sense. such as close a whole area of desert to off road activity because it may hurt the environment but then want to build a huge solar farm on all of it or a geo thermal plant. Those horses might trample a tortoise or endangered weed you know!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
a reply to: VforVendettea

Interesting. Perhaps because they need to be broken and that requires a skill I'm sure few have. Good source so thanks. And the only reason they can't release them is because we need more land. More people means less room for wildlife in the end. It's really that simple.

We need more land? With all due respect, have you every driven across South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Washington state, Oregon to name a few? There are billions of acres uninhabited by humans for hundreds of miles in any direction. We don't need more land, we need a government that doesn't stick their fingers in every aspect of our lives. The government thinks the general public are not capable of anything other than eating and breathing, they think we are idiots that need their guidance. We have let the federal government allow us to fear them instead of them fearing us, that is not a good situation to be in, ask anyone who survived Hilter.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: govmule

Yes - I have definitely driven through all of these areas - I live in this part of the Country. However - it's because we aren't talking about land to live on (that small space each human needs). We're talking about owning for the sake of owning and controlling it. Land is valuable. For minerals, future development, oil.... Some humans can never get enough.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

You know what you're talking about.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
a bit of character

The adrenaline starts running when I think about what that means.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: govmule
a reply to: xuenchen

I cant help but wonder. Did the BLM bring in 200 armed agents and helicopters to round up the horses?

Actually, they did used to round up wild horses with helicopters among other things.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

IWith regard to wild horses it amazes me they would ship them off when they are such an expensive animal. They are also an American pastime - a historical figure that should be valued a bit more. I haven't eaten at a fast food restaurant since I learned horse meat was being used as a filler in hamburgers, and I'm bummed tradition has gone out the window (zoo value this animal as friend rather than dog food).

Actually, there was an animal cruelty case in Tennessee recently that might help explain why they're shipped off. It was made illegal to slaughter horses in the U.S. for dog and cat food which is really all the meat was used for, so there was a guy who used to run a "sanctuary" for unwanted horses. Sometimes, they would find homes, but more often, he would get better money shipping off to be slaughtered for pet food. Well, since it was no illegal to put them in pet food, there was nowhere to send them except Canada, so most of them wound up starving slowly to death on his "sanctuary."

Thus, why the BLM sends them to Canada. No one in the U.S. slaughters them anymore because there's no use in it.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

IWith regard to wild horses it amazes me they would ship them off when they are such an expensive animal. They are also an American pastime - a historical figure that should be valued a bit more. I haven't eaten at a fast food restaurant since I learned horse meat was being used as a filler in hamburgers, and I'm bummed tradition has gone out the window (zoo value this animal as friend rather than dog food).

Actually, there was an animal cruelty case in Tennessee recently that might help explain why they're shipped off. It was made illegal to slaughter horses in the U.S. for dog and cat food which is really all the meat was used for, so there was a guy who used to run a "sanctuary" for unwanted horses. Sometimes, they would find homes, but more often, he would get better money shipping off to be slaughtered for pet food. Well, since it was no illegal to put them in pet food, there was nowhere to send them except Canada, so most of them wound up starving slowly to death on his "sanctuary."

Thus, why the BLM sends them to Canada. No one in the U.S. slaughters them anymore because there's no use in it.

That makes sense now. The government in the US decided that feeding dogs and cats with wild forage mammal meat is worse than the corn filler made by Monsanto's genetically altered seeds. Now I see it clearly, another government act of incompetence. If the wild horse population is an issue, and they must be euthanized, it would seem immoral and unjust to waste the food they could provide for orphaned cats and dogs. Hopefully Canada still has common sense and will put the meat to good use.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In the UK there has recently been a 'horsemeat' scandal, where half the meat tested in various foods contained meat other than on the ingredients list, often horsemeat, often in average supermarkets and from well known processed food manufacturers.

All the more reason for buying ethical, known source, unprocessed meat from highly reputable places.

www.theguardian.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
In the UK there has recently been a 'horsemeat' scandal, where half the meat tested in various foods contained meat other than on the ingredients list, often horsemeat, often in average supermarkets and from well known processed food manufacturers.

All the more reason for buying ethical, known source, unprocessed meat from highly reputable places.

www.theguardian.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

THAT is alarming !!

So much for the "Label GMO" thing.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It is certainly a concern and if it has happened here it has probably happened many other places. Findus and Nestle found horse meat in their 'beef' products, when they followed the chain, most of the horsemeat found was sold to the manufacturers as beef, sometimes from places as far as Romania and other EU countries found the same thing.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Mislabelled processed meat products have so far been discovered in the UK, the Republic of Ireland, France, Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden and Germany. Suspicious products have also been withdrawn in the Netherlands as tests are carried out.

The European Union has told member states to conduct random tests for horsemeat.
/ex]

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Dianec

Once gentled mustangs make as good as if not better riding horses than born in a stable horses.
They do act a bit different than non mustangs but nothing too unusual they don't like to go near cliffs or under roofs or places where they think a puma might jump down and get them. Understandable.

Do not get a unbroken one if you are not very very experienced as in you have a decade or so under your belt. They can kill you trying to get away.

I like mustangs as a breed but if I have to choose between native American wildlife and mustangs...well there are ranches that breed mustangs not so many breeding desert big horned sheep.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I get that these horses are wild. I get that they're beautiful and I get that they represent a symbol of the American West. I also understand why this would be done. It's the same reason we HAVE to hunt deer, and elk and the like. And besides, the horses are an invasive species on the North American continent. They don't belong here in the first place, like reticulated pythons and asian carp. But to me, there is an acceptable solution. Round the horses up. Let some competent "horse" people look them over, release the healthy, and cull the sick. They are beautiful animals, but they're fate was sealed as soon as they got here. We have to manage them just like the other animals that are out there and wild. I would also be cool with re-introducing native, natural predators into the environment that have the ability to
pray on them, like grizzly bears, jaguars, and wolves. But I suppose that's a non-starter. After all, we live in a country that thinks "terrorists" are dangerous. Telling people your letting jaguars loose in they're neighborhood would probably scare a few folks. The fact they've already been spotted roaming around in the American Southwest is AWESOME! But in the end, we should sue Spain. They're the ones that screwed up most of the Western Hemisphere anyway!!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: govmule

It was done partially out of the outcry of people who were outraged over the thought of feeing horsemeat to cats and dogs. Oh! those poor horses.

As it happens, I agree with you. I would rather my cats eat actual meat, even if it's horse meat with a sad tale behind it, than I would lots of corn. I have one cat who is overweight, and no matter what we do to try to trim her waist, she just remains a meatball. I suspect that the corn might be part of it, but the only time we tried her on more expensive, high protein feed, she immediately contracted a bladder infection.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tencap77

As I understand it, when the predators are in their proper balance, the mustangs aren't really a problem. As I said, they're like the dromedary in Australia. Yes, they're not a native, but they are one of the few non-native species that could make a case to be left where they're at.

There just aren't many true wild horses left in the world, anywhere; much as there aren't any wild dromedaries ... except for the non-native ones in Australia. However, the dromedaries in Australia do not wreck the environment unlike pretty much everything else that's been introduced there. So, do you leave them or get rid of them? Mustangs are more or less in a similar predicament.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The BLM is only a tool for Corporation interests thanks to Conrad Burns (R-MT).

Derek

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Here is a like with adoption prices and for those who don't know how big mustangs are or what they look like
www.blm.gov...

The adopter must adequately care for the horse for one year, after the first year the adopter gets the title to the horse.
The BLM really doesn't want the horses back they just don't want them used for horsemeat or rodeos, and mustangs are tough little things and much more tractable than the Australian brumby albeit not as typey.

I have heard bout the brumbies from my aussie online friends I have not any actually worked with them myself.

I do remember an antic dote from the around when I was in HS/early college and a girl (under 18 since she was showing juniors) who was boarding in the same barn, taking the same lessons with girls riding TB horses that daddy bought for them and after the lesson the rich girls started to sneer at her and her small horse about and bragging how much their daddy spent on their horses and the mustang rider got of her not much bigger than a pony and cranked the jumps up from 2 feet to as high as they would go 5-ish feet, got on her horse and cleared them without so much as touching them, rode over to the snobs and stated "My horse cost 35$ let's see you do that." from the story that I have heard they rich girls chickened out.

edit on 21-4-2014 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2014 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join